DBSTalk Forum banner

DIRECTV install issues!?

954 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  peds48 
#1 ·
Yesterday directv came out to install but ran in to many issues and had to reschedule..

Now to quickly summarize I wanted 4K they didn't bring the right boxes and also said wiring in my house was very old and recommended me going the wireless route.. I however am concerned about the quality when you go wireless, is there a loss??

Also he said he could rewire the house with newer style cable but that would be additional $200 dollars..

So with all that being said should I pay $100 for wireless or $200 to get new cables put in?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I live in a large brick house would wireless have enough range?

#2 ·
You shouldn't have to pay to have the house rewired unless you are requesting wall fish. There is no 4K wireless solution at the moment so doing wireless would indicate not getting 4K.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
#3 ·
If he was having a Hopper 3 installed at the location where the 4K television was at he could still have wireless for other locations. I would still opt for wired unless there were some aversion to new cables that would probably be visible from the outside of the house.

#4 ·
Yeah I wasn't requesting wall fish still said it would be minimum of $200 and the install would take him 6+ hours for rewire.. I'm leaning toward keeping main TV 4K the rest wireless.

Also he recommended putting the dish on the ground as to be able to clean off snow in the winter time. Is this the best solution for dish placement?

Thanks for all the replies it really helps!!

As a final note he's coming today so I really need to figure everything out in the next few hours.

#6 ·
I incorrectly assumed a DISH install and see that you are having Directv installed. Sorry for the misinformation in my earlier post. With Directv, you will need an HR-54 and a C-61k (I think) or an RVU enabled tv for 4K viewing. The HR-54 itself is not capable of putting out 4k signal to the tv.

#7 ·
Interesting, thanks for the info. When he comes today I'm going try to get him to run at least one new line for the actual main genie..

Do you know how the wireless bridge works? I'm really looking for some more info on the quality / range I can expect.. Also what is the proper way to setup the bridge as I have a feeling my installer isn't very experienced.

Thanks again!!

#9 ·
Ahh okay well regardless thanks for info you provided!!

I'm going keep looking through the forum see if anyone else has more info..

Also I think my tv Samsung KS8000 has built in DIRECTV but installer didn't seem to know about what that's is...

#10 ·
The wireless video bridge gets connected via coax to the DIRECTV SWM network. The range of the video bridge is approximate 35 to 45 feet as the crow flies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
You can install up to 3 bridges, although after the second one there is a charge for the hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tecnicoloco
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.