DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-16 Thread)

49K views 348 replies 54 participants last post by  mws192 
#1 ·
Please use this thread to discuss your feelings about upcoming national HD channels.

This thread will not be as tightly moderated as the rest of the site, but here's the tradeoff...in exchange for being able to rant a bit more, you can be assured that absolutely no one at DIRECTV will be using this thread for reference.

You can ask for all the new HD you want, but DIRECTV's marketing department knows that the 100-150 contributors to this thread are only a small part of the over 20 million U.S subscribers (37+ million world wide).

*Please remember that all forum rules are still in effect.
*Please do not "bump" this thread.
*Other threads that do nothing but anticipate HD channels for which there is no information will be closed.
*This is not a DIRECTV vs. Dish thread, there are other threads for that.

If you have any questions as to what belongs in this thread or an individual channel thread please read the latest DIRECTV Programming Forum Rules (Link).

See less See more
#206 ·
cyfman said:
Will we ever get any new channels ????
We got Oxygen HD less than two weeks ago, and FS Oklahoma HD and FS Wisconsin HD are still in test.

If you mean "new" as in channels that aren't carried at all by DirecTV, we got One World Sports HD in Sepetember and FM HD in June. For non-HD we got Beauty iQ and JBS in the past 2 months, for Spanish we got BabyTV last week and Estrella TV in October.

Is there anything specific you're looking for? In the past 2 years we got kids channels, news channels, music channels, women's channels, movie channels, sports channels, Spanish channels, Korean channels and some others that don't quite fit into a specific category like GSN and ASPiRE. Nearly everything left to add is something that appeals to a niche audience and not the masses. (GSN was probably the last channel left to add that has programmming that appeals to a more general audience and isn't targetting a specific ethnicity, race, political point of view, special interest, religion, age group, gender, geographic area, and/or level of income)

#209 ·
KyL416 said:
We got Oxygen HD less than two weeks ago, and FS Oklahoma HD and FS Wisconsin HD are still in test.

If you mean "new" as in channels that aren't carried at all by DirecTV, we got One World Sports HD in Sepetember and FM HD in June. For non-HD we got Beauty iQ and JBS in the past 2 months, for Spanish we got BabyTV last week and Estrella TV in October.

Is there anything specific you're looking for? In the past 2 years we got kids channels, news channels, music channels, women's channels, movie channels, sports channels, Spanish channels, Korean channels and some others that don't quite fit into a specific category like GSN and ASPiRE. Nearly everything left to add is something that appeals to a niche audience and not the masses. (GSN was probably the last channel left to add that has programmming that appeals to a more general audience and isn't targetting a specific ethnicity, race, political point of view, special interest, religion, age group, gender, geographic area, and/or level of income)
I was confused, too. I think we've had quite the variety of new channels added recently. But hopefully FXM and other popularish SD channels will go HD soon.

#215 ·
How about you let cyfman answer for themselves...maybe they have completely different tastes if none of the previous additions in the past 2 years were of any interest to them.

Or perhaps like many times we've seen before, the channel they've been waiting for doesn't even have a HD feed to add and they just don't know it, so it wouldn't be on that list anyway. (i.e. Boomerang, CNBC World, MTV Classic, Flix, Free Speech TV, Link, JLTV, StarzEncore Westerns, ESPN Classic, Fox College Sports, Showtime Family Zone, CNN International, etc)

#216 ·
KyL416 said:
How about you let cyfman answer for themselves...
The thread is open if cyfman wishes to answer the question. It is also open for anyone else who wishes to anticipate channels.

What the thread is not open for is bickering. So please, stay on the topic of DIRECTV channels.
(This includes praise or rebuke of this post.)

#217 ·
Just to get this thread back up (after the brief down period of this site)…

240 Home Shopping Network HD
258 FX Movie Channel HD
273 Pop HD
287 American Heroes Channel HD
294 Discover Family HD
295 Sprout HD
302 Nicktoons HD
303 TeenNick HD
315 QVC Plus HD
326 Great American Country HD
328 TV One HD
341 El Rey Network HD
350 C-Span HD
351 C-Span 2 HD

605 Sportsman Channel HD
606 Outdoor Channel HD

This is just a quick, but not a complete, listing of basic-cable linear channels which have an HD that spring to mind as ones to look for. That the SD of each are already carried by AT&T's DirecTV. I did not list 235 Esquire Network HD because I don't know what (if anything) is up with it.

#221 · (Edited)
There's several 4K channels in the clear on C-Band that are available for launch by providers in the USA
Fashion One 4K
High 4K
NASA TV UHD

Fashion One 4K is from the worldwide channel Fashion One.
High 4K is basically like what HDNet or iNHD was in the early days of HD long before HD simulcasts of regular channels became a thing.

They also signed a deal with Fox to carry Fox Sports's NCAA, NASCAR, MLB and FIFA World Cup coverage in 4K. Chances are they might need another event channel to fit them all because a lot of Fox's events will conflict with the other Live 4K content like the Golf tournaments, Notre Dame games from NBC, NBA TV games and UFC PPVs. Especially by next fall when NBC's Notre Dame football and Fox's NCAA Football will be head to head.

#223 ·
There's several 4K channels in the clear on C-Band that are available for launch by providers in the USA
Fashion One 4K
High 4K
NASA TV UHD

Fashion One 4K is from the worldwide channel Fashion One.
High 4K is basically like what HDNet or iNHD was in the early days of HD long before HD simulcasts of regular channels became a thing.

They also signed a deal with Fox to carry Fox Sports's NCAA, NASCAR, MLB and FIFA World Cup coverage in 4K. Chances are they might need another event channel to fit them all because a lot of Fox's events will conflict with the other Live 4K content like the Golf tournaments, Notre Dame games from NBC, NBA TV games and UFC PPVs. Especially by next fall when NBC's Notre Dame football and Fox's NCAA Football will be head to head.
I agree. I am seeing so many adds for 4K tvs that I think Directv should see an increase of C64K? Just thinking out loud.

#222 ·
I don't see them carrying P/I channels like NASA in 4K until they start using reverse band. Probably the same for those other two no one has ever heard of. They'd need to use up valuable Ka transponders otherwise, and that doesn't seem worth it. I'm guessing they're waiting until the legacy reverse band LNB and SWM30 switch are ready for release before moving 4K to reverse band.

I agree about needing another channel by next fall - but I sure hope we see a REAL 4K channel by then, like ESPN4K or HBO4K. Maybe since Fox seems to be making a lot of noise recently about 4K they will beat ESPN to the punch with FS1 in 4K next summer?

#225 ·
+1. The cut off graphics on SD channels is annoying. It's the same thing with Telemundo's national feeds. With the NBC Boston fiasco settled and I know I am not losing my local HD Telemundo, that is good news. Why on earth are there not national HD feeds available?

#227 ·
Yep, it and 675 FS Oklahoma HD went live today.

The FS Wisconsin Plus channel is now on 669-1.

Their SD feeds are still part time, but with a much reduced live game only schedule now, as opposed to before where the SD feeds would have everything that wasn't a simulcast of FS North or FS Southwest and the HD feeds would be live game only.

#228 · (Edited)
We mustn't forget the other new channel, VOD 1113 Taylor Swift NOW, which is 1080p.

It is annoying that some new channels get the "HD" notation and others don't. Today is a good example... FSWIS is FS Wisconsin HD. FSOKHD is FS Oklahoma HD. Inconsistency really gets my OCD going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.