DBSTalk Forum banner

Recommended Whole Home Setup

879 views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  dminches 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I have made any changes to my setup which includes an HR44 and a bunch of HR24s, connected via a SWM16 with 2 4 way splitters.

What is the recommended setup for whole home? Should all the DVRs be connected on my home network via ethernet? Is this still necessary? I would like to each DVRs to be able to see the others.

I am asking this because I am getting some stuttering on one of my DVRs playing back from another. I did notice this morning that I didn't get any stuttering playing the same content back on another DVR so it could be that the one DVR has an issue.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Your system sounds like mine. Mine: An HR44, 4 HR2X DVRS and 1 Genie Mini. All connected via DECA. Every device can see and play all recordings without any problems.

If you have stuttering on a device, you may have an issue with that device.

#3 ·
Your system sounds like mine. Mine: An HR44, 4 HR2X DVRS and 1 Genie Mini. All connected via DECA. Every device can see and play all recordings without any problems.

If you have stuttering on a device, you may have an issue with that device.
When you say via Deca, the HR44s and HR24s have that built in so you don't have anything connected via your home network (ethernet)?

#15 ·
And as Peds said, I do have a SWM16. With two 4-way splitters.

Peds--with multiple Internet connections, would that explain the stuttering he is experiencing, or do you think it is that specific DVR issue?
It may be related.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Yep, just one coax to each box. For the Internet connection you can use the Genie to bridge that connection or a broadband DECA which would be my recommended set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#17 ·
It has been a while since I have made any changes to my setup which includes an HR44 and a bunch of HR24s, connected via a SWM16 with 2 4 way splitters.

. . . .

Thanks in advance.
DirecTV has been stuck in time for the last couple of years. Probably because of the merger. Unless you have a 4K TV and are dying to get the few 4K channels, there is nothing currently to upgrade to. And they still won't allow homes to have multi-Genies.

#18 ·
I do have a 4k TV but haven't gone down that path yet.

If you don't mind...do I need an HR54 to get 4k or can I just get a 4k genie client to work with my HR44?

Also, which is the recommended LNB for 4k?

#19 ·
You need a 54 to get 4K Although as of today this is a business decision not technical. Same goes with the LNB you will need a reverse band 3 or 5 depending on package subscription, but any LNB will do currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
You need a 54 to get 4K Although as of today this is a business decision not technical. Same goes with the LNB you will need a reverse band 3 or 5 depending on package subscription, but any LNB will do currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As always, a wealth of information. Thanks.

I will hold off for now since there isn't much content.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.