DBSTalk Forum banner

ATV vs FTV and Roku

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  lparsons21 
#1 ·
Kinda surprised to see no similar threads. I like the ATVs. I've had nothing but problems with the Rokus and the FTV boxes. Just bought and returned a Roku Ultra and a Roku Premier. Both had far worse pictures than my TV apps. This is not subjective, the PQ was awful on both, more so on the Ultra. I did not expect this.

My son and I just bought FTV2s and returned them. My son's box had terrible audio issues and the box I bought produced a terribly pixellated picture. I have 3 FTV1 boxes. All 3 give me a juddering picture on Amazon, no matter the content, no matter which 4K set they are on. Amazon content does not judder on my TV apps or on either of my upscaling BD players' apps.

There are a couple things I don't like about the ATV4s: (1) The remotes are too small and easily lost. The Roku Ultra I bought and returned a couple days later had a "find your remote" function that worked really well when that very small remote disappeared the first night we had it. Apple really ought to use a similar function on the new ATV5s (probably too much to hope for). (2) No Amazon app. This needs to be fixed. I understand there's some friction between Apple and Amazon, but it's time to get over that. That's the only two things I can complain about. The colors are better on the ATV4s than on my TV apps or on the Rokus. The pictures just seem sharper on the ATV4s.

The ATV4s do not do 4K, but the ATV5s will. I really enjoy the upscaled from 1080p picture the ATV4s put out, I can only hope the ATV5 is better...

Rich

See less See more
#2 ·
My FTV2 has worked flawlessly since I got it and is usually the streamer I use. My ATV4 is generally used for access to my iTunes library of films/music and little else.

The remotes for both are OK, but I use a Harmony Elite universal. Only downside is lack of voice searching when I use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
My FTV2 has worked flawlessly since I got it and is usually the streamer I use. My ATV4 is generally used for access to my iTunes library of films/music and little else.

The remotes for both are OK, but I use a Harmony Elite universal. Only downside is lack of voice searching when I use it.

I think I've tried 3 or 4 FTV2s, all in search of a better UI than my Amazon TV app. All had problems. I was kinda surprised when my son bought one and had problems with it. Perhaps the home is...jinxed? I know Hasan had audio problems with a Roku recently, I didn't notice similar problems on either Roku I tried but I was so disgusted with the PQ I didn't pay attention to the audio quality.

But it might be the Sammy TVs that are causing the PQ issues altho I don't see why. I don't remember which 4K set you have?

Rich

#4 ·
I have a Sharp. It is an Android tv and works well. If it had the Amazon app on it I wouldn't have bought the FireTV since that was the only thing of interest I was missing. The smart apps on the Sharp aren't anything to brag about, but the ones that are there work well most of the time. But I don't tend to use them since the FireTV has all of the ones I want minus access to iTunes.

The ATV4 has all I want minus the Amazon app. That's my biggest pet peeve with all these streaming boxes. There just isn't one size fits all for even the bigger streaming providers. Netflix and Hulu are the only 2 of the big 4 that are on virtually everything.

#5 ·
I have a Sharp. It is an Android tv and works well. If it had the Amazon app on it I wouldn't have bought the FireTV since that was the only thing of interest I was missing. The smart apps on the Sharp aren't anything to brag about, but the ones that are there work well most of the time. But I don't tend to use them since the FireTV has all of the ones I want minus access to iTunes.

The ATV4 has all I want minus the Amazon app. That's my biggest pet peeve with all these streaming boxes. There just isn't one size fits all for even the bigger streaming providers. Netflix and Hulu are the only 2 of the big 4 that are on virtually everything.

Yeah, I was gonna buy a Nvidia Shield box but that doesn't seem to have Amazon either. Wish they'd stop fighting.

Figures you don't have a Sammy TV. I really like mine but they just don't seem to work well with all platforms.

Rich

#7 ·
Only the FTV2 does 4K. I've never had a problem with my 3 FTV1s, just several FTV2s. Nothing to do with Internet connections, just other issues. Seems like a different issue with each one. Never surprises me when someone says they've never had problems such as mine, I seem to have terrible luck with...damn near everything. I also have issues with my ATVs and the Roku's...fuhgeddaboudit!

Rich

#9 ·
Well at least it looks like 4K and amazon and vudu are all coming this year to Apple tvs.

And I thought you liked your Apple tvs! Dare I ask?
Once I get Amazon on my ATV box I will not use any other streaming box. But, they are not without issues. I have to reset my ATV at least once a week. I have used the FTV2 box I just got a couple months ago, and the only thing I see wrong with that is the judders I get on Hulu content, I don't see the judders on Hulu on my ATV4. I am looking forward to the new ATVs, I will buy another one ASAP. The other thing I don't like about the FTV2 is the remote, it has the ability to understand speech but cannot do "What did he say?".

Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.