DBSTalk Forum banner

WGN Cancels Upsiders...

775 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JoeTheDragon 
#1 ·
Outsiders, kind of a goofy show, but we liked it. So, WGN cancels it. The most watched series on WGN. They didn't give it a third season, didn't finish any story lines, just canceled it. If you haven't seen the series it's on Hulu. Interesting cast, way out there premise. Just canceled it...damn.

Rich

#2 ·
Yeah, it found itself on the wrong network as Sinclair has big ideas:

Sinclair will use its newfound heft-the addition of Tribune's 42 stations gives it channels in more than 70 percent of U.S. households-to launch a competitor to Fox News.​

Not my household as I'm dropping locals altogether, using Hulu, CBS All Access, and PBS for broadcast network shows. As I used to say regularly a few years ago, there is no good reasons for local channels to exist in the 21st Century.

#4 ·
Yeah, it found itself on the wrong network as Sinclair has big ideas:

Sinclair will use its newfound heft-the addition of Tribune's 42 stations gives it channels in more than 70 percent of U.S. households-to launch a competitor to Fox News.​
I've heard that, but I will believe it when I see it. Everybody attributes Sinclair as being "right leaning" but is it really? It got the reputation in the Bush era by saying things favorable about the administration in its centerally fed editorials, but mostly that was so the FCC would look the other way relative to it building up a set of illegal duopolies. You can tell if people are sincere and they just were not, IMHO.

Is there really really a market for yet another news outlet? This one as, apparently, an OTA "netlet" ? I don't see it. And, at least in my market and a few others I have visited, the Sinclair stations are pure amateur hour when it comes to news. A token effort staffed by children. Sinclair's ASN likewise had an amateur feel to it. I don't know about Tribune's news operations, never lived anywhere they owned a station.

As to WGN, Sinclair is clearly going to make it into a nationalized version of what an independent station is. Reruns of old shows. And that is just fine with me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.