DBSTalk Forum banner

Quick HR22-100 HDD question

4K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  P Smith 
#1 ·
Greetings first post here but I've been reading about these forums for a couple weeks now gathering info and was now simply hoping someone can confirm that my now formed plan of action will work... or not. ;)

So yes, believe it of not I still have an original HR22-100 that's been running ever since I first signed up with DTV so close to a decade now I guess. Regardless it's finally starting to show it's age and will lock-up during FF or RW functions requiring a reboot to get it working again. This happens now maybe once every two weeks so I figure it's finally time for a new HDD.

I purchased a new WD AVGP drive and was planning on doing the swap this weekend. I realize the legalize involved so no need of any warnings on that front. I build my own PC's so not anticipating any problems and I'd prefer not having an extra external enclosure plus extra outlet occupied full time. That said, while it won't kill me to loose a few things on the original drive I figured (and this is what I'm really hear to ask) that I could hang onto the old drive and the one or two times a year I might want to watch something I have saved on it, I could pop it into an external esata enclosure and plug it in, wait for the whole reboot and then be good to go with access to my old programs. Then when done unplug it, reboot again and be good to go with the new/current internal one.

So then, is this a workable solution or am I wrong in my understanding of how it all works? Thank's all for reading and any consideration.

See less See more
#2 ·
First you can do that if you like. But I'd suggest copying the drive using the instructions in one of the threads here that's all about copying the drives for DVRs of DIRECTV and just doing that.

And why not just get a replacement though? That thing is terrible compared to anything they'd give you today.

#3 ·
that correct solution
personally, I would run GsmartTool on your PC and get SMART data (post it here),then run MHDD with Remap=ON to reassign weak/bad sectors from spare area or at least run two SMART internal tests - short and long
perhaps you'll find it begun works as new :)

#4 ·
Greetings first post here but I've been reading about these forums for a couple weeks now gathering info and was now simply hoping someone can confirm that my now formed plan of action will work... or not. ;)

So yes, believe it of not I still have an original HR22-100 that's been running ever since I first signed up with DTV so close to a decade now I guess. Regardless it's finally starting to show it's age and will lock-up during FF or RW functions requiring a reboot to get it working again. This happens now maybe once every two weeks so I figure it's finally time for a new HDD.

I purchased a new WD AVGP drive and was planning on doing the swap this weekend. I realize the legalize involved so no need of any warnings on that front. I build my own PC's so not anticipating any problems and I'd prefer not having an extra external enclosure plus extra outlet occupied full time. That said, while it won't kill me to loose a few things on the original drive I figured (and this is what I'm really hear to ask) that I could hang onto the old drive and the one or two times a year I might want to watch something I have saved on it, I could pop it into an external esata enclosure and plug it in, wait for the whole reboot and then be good to go with access to my old programs. Then when done unplug it, reboot again and be good to go with the new/current internal one.

So then, is this a workable solution or am I wrong in my understanding of how it all works? Thank's all for reading and any consideration.
You can get a 24 if you do a swap. Night and day when it comes to performance. That 22 you have is as bad a DVR as you'll find.

Rich

#5 ·
I think it would be a great idea to connect a good capturing device and "save out" those programs that absolutely can't be replaced (such as one-time-only events).

If programs can be found elsewhere (such as streaming, on-demand or on disc, etc) I might not worry so much about trying to save them.

Then replace that old DVR and be done with it.

#6 ·
The sluggishness of the HR22 won't change with a new hard drive. A new hard drive can't change poor programming and outdated hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
So if I put Pirelli racing tires on my old Pinto, will it go much faster? Yes?

#11 ·
So upgrading memory and mother board? Yes?

#13 ·
Nevermind!

#14 ·
it would be productive if you, sometimes, begin thinking as end user/customer
so far, your recommendations are just base installer's view

it's surprise me how you avoid assessment stage and jumping to conclusion without assembling all facts; perhaps your base is simple: money for your work time ?

if TS would check his HDD and make initial cleanup of it, he could be well satisfied with the DVR, as his primary goal to watch programs, not measure response time for each click of remote's button

#15 ·
I have got all the facts bud. The fact that the HR22 is a POS DVR says it all. Why try to fix a broken relic DVR when DIRECTV will replace most likely at no cost or at most for 20 bucks for a much better DVR. Is a no brainer

#17 ·
Oops, I only got the first response to this thread via email and didn't realize there was more then that otherwise I would've responded sooner.

So thank's for answering my query all but regarding why I just didn't get a new dvr I'll tell you and you can try to tell me why I'm wrong I guess.

The one I have has obviously worked great the whole time I've used it and never had any issues up until the recent lock ups.

Other then the new occasional locking up problem, the remote response time is fine.

I have one 1080p television and no need for more then 2 tuners.

The 2TB HDD that I bought was $60, a new dvr from DTV is $100 that I understand (perhaps incorrectly) comes with a smaller capacity, less efficient HDD.

So now that you know a bit more about my setup and viewing needs, what exact performance/features will getting a new HR24 series DVR get me over the POS I evidently have?

#18 ·
The HR22 is probably the slowest most annoying machine you can have. If yours is quick there's something wrong with it. LOL!

Seriously the features are generally the same but the speed and response is night and day to anyone I know who's had both. You just would not realize it since you evidently used one.

And you can add the same esata drive to either machine.

Personally I'd never go back from a genie, it actually does do more. But replacing a broken HR22 for an HR24 shouldn't cost you anything or it might cost $20. Not sure why you think it's cost $100. Never should cost that much. And you shouldn't get hit with a new commitment either since it'd be replacing a bad machine.

And you could always get a genie down the road probably for free as an upgrade with a commitment.

#19 ·
Ok then, thanks for that opinion (and all others). No point in continuing with the thread though as I actually did replace it as I intended to do. I only really wanted to know if the old one would still play what's on it as an external is all... and it does. :cool:

Regarding response time, I can say that replacing the drive did actually improve that. Before page flips etc would take 2-3 seconds and now they're around 1. No idea how this fits in with what everyone here thinks is fast or slow, just stating it for the record and for those that said a new drive wouldn't effect this. Internal temp is now 10 degrees lower too (which I'm guessing is mostly due to the fact they had a nice block of foam taking up space on top of the old drive in there which is now gone) and no it's not any louder now. Then as to why I didn't clone the old HDD to the new one, simple really. I didn't want to spend all day doing a copy and hoping it works the first time as opposed to the 30 minutes it took to change the drive and download the software and the 10 minutes it takes to get the old drive out of the cabinet, plug it in via esata & reboot the receiver if I want to watch something from the archives (again not something that will happen often).

So I can say I'm a very happy camper now but if the old HR22 goes belly up in the near future, I'll be sure to let you all know so you can have the last laugh. ;)

#21 ·
Ok then, thanks for that opinion (and all others). No point in continuing with the thread though as I actually did replace it as I intended to do. I only really wanted to know if the old one would still play what's on it as an external is all... and it does. :cool:

Regarding response time, I can say that replacing the drive did actually improve that. Before page flips etc would take 2-3 seconds and now they're around 1. No idea how this fits in with what everyone here thinks is fast or slow, just stating it for the record and for those that said a new drive wouldn't effect this. Internal temp is now 10 degrees lower too (which I'm guessing is mostly due to the fact they had a nice block of foam taking up space on top of the old drive in there which is now gone) and no it's not any louder now. Then as to why I didn't clone the old HDD to the new one, simple really. I didn't want to spend all day doing a copy and hoping it works the first time as opposed to the 30 minutes it took to change the drive and download the software and the 10 minutes it takes to get the old drive out of the cabinet, plug it in via esata & reboot the receiver if I want to watch something from the archives (again not something that will happen often).

So I can say I'm a very happy camper now but if the old HR22 goes belly up in the near future, I'll be sure to let you all know so you can have the last laugh. ;)
Whether a new HDD would fix your problems was a question most of us couldn't possibly answer, the only way to find out was to do what you did. But, put some content on that HDD before you become too enamored with it, all the HRs seem quite quick with a new HDD in or on them. That HDD you put in or on your 22 will not disguise the dreadfulness of that particular model for long.

About the cloning: With all the ways to stream content these days cloning an HDD just doesn't make sense unless you know you can't find that content anywhere else, and value it enough to go thru that process.

Rich

#24 ·
Hello, I am hoping someone here could help me with an HR22-100 I have for my son. My son is severly autistic and has a HR22 from ten years ago with all his favorite shows like blues clues and spongebob(the old ones, wont watch the new ones, different voice) any way, this dvr is his life, and would have big problems if it failed!!!. anyway i want to ask if I buy an HDD cloner, and get a SSD, could I clone the HD in the dvr now and make it work with new one, keeping all his favorite shows? or is this not possible with some kind of coding?? Thank you for anyone who could help me, The dvr plays fine now, but i know its a matter of time before the orginal HDD fails. oh and no it doesnt have the directv service.
Thanks
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.