DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Questions for installers

2K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  studechip 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding installation of the universal mount. Me and some coworkers have been arguing over the correct way to setup the arms for a standard J mount (we are still new with little training, Thanks AT$T). Some say that there needs to be an arm parallel with the top part of the mast where the dish is sitting on (see image below)

;
some say to never put the arms on the bend or lower part of the mast
;
some say to put the arms out far to both sides of the dish so it makes a perfect triangle with the base (see pic below)

So we all are confused on what is right and wrong.. please let me know!

See less See more
#2 ·
Both of those pictures are wrong. When mounting a universal mount on the roof you should have one (short) monopole directly at the bend going straight down in line with the universal mount and into a stud. The other (long) monopole should go either out to the left or right and above the bend. Left or right depends on which way dish is pointing and also whether or not its over living space. You want to try and keep it out from over living space if at all possible.

#3 ·
from mechanical stand point - eg stability and wind resistant, install on second picture is better
yes, all screws must be going into studs, from a foot and struts

I would add aerodynamics variations and take in account a wind rose of the place... but it's me :)

#15 ·
Wrong!!! Picture number 2 is using the CommDeck system which uses special clips that somehow attaches to the shingles without any penetration

Dish Mounting System - Commdeck - RSTC Enterprises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wrong!!! Picture number 2 is using the CommDeck system which uses special clips that somehow attaches to the shingles without any penetration

Dish Mounting System - Commdeck - RSTC Enterprises

Apparently you have never installed a commdeck. They attached to the sheathing and hopefully a rafter.

#16 ·
Apparently you have never installed a commdeck. They attached to the sheathing and hopefully a rafter.
The CommDeck itself does attaches to the roof, the clips, according to their installation instructions, not so much.

#5 ·
Since you are in Florida and will not have snow,
why not install the Stubby mount ? It does not use any support arms. I have one on my house.

Attachments

#6 ·
What about hurricanes? How much wind load can the stubby mount handle versus the one with monopoles?

Obviously a direct hit from a major hurricane is probably more than any possible dish mount could handle (and debris might dent/bend the dish anyway) but there's probably a need to handle say 100 mph winds that you don't have in most places absent a tornado or derecho that hit geographically small areas.

Reactions: jimmie57
#24 ·
From looking at the link and all the holes in the clips,
I believe,
The clip is nailed or screwed into the roof. The difference is that the shingle is raised to do this. When the shingle is lowered into the normal position the nails / screws are now hidden underneath the shingle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.