DBSTalk Forum banner

Error that DirecTV can't seem to fix

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  DishCSR 
#1 ·
A customer of mine (I'm a builder), upgraded from SD DTV to HD DTV. The tech swapped the dish from the old single lnb oval to an oblong multi-lnb. He changed out the smartswitch.

He installed a genie DVR. He activated it. It gets SD channels, and some HD channels but most HD channels produce a 721 error.

They sent a 2nd tech and he said the dish was fine. I'm beginning to think they are both wrong.

HD channels work up to channel 68. Starting with Channel 70, any HD produces a 721 error.

I tried to ask tech support what satellite a particular channel was on so i could diagnose if it was a dish pointing problem.

So far I have channel 70 QVCHD, 229 HGTVHD and channel 317 QVCHD all giving me a 721.

DTV has removed and re-added the packages several times, I even had them go to the next higher package but still the same result. I'm back to thinking it's a dish pointing issue even know 2 tech's (one with many years of experience) say they aligned the dish correctly. Both seemed like novices if you ask me.

Based on the info I provided above, is there any way for me to tell what satellite might not be coming in? I'm going to make a list from the receiver but going the other way might be faster. No obstructions, clear sky. On 2nd Day tech swapped the DVR and multiswitch.

BTW, we are in day 3 of this problem (15+ hours), DTV no help, 2 tech's, no help. At this point it's got to be something stupid (like incorrectly pointed dish). Tech's kept saying 771 errors are dish pointing, but 721 is always subscription. My personal feeling is the stream authorizing certain channels is not being received due to dish pointing error.

Many, many Thanks.

Roveer

See less See more
#3 ·
721 | Service Isn't Authorized | CS needs to authorize. Can also indicate a blackout condition (sports programming)

Call Direct TV and tell them to make sure the HD service is authorized and to Refresh the Service.

#4 ·
Problem resolved... It was on their end. We finally got a tier 2 tech to call us back and after removing our account and re-creating it they were finally able to apply the package and the channels are coming in. It's very sad. On Monday, the first tech tried to get them to do that and they wouldn't. On Monday night I did on-line research and found similar posts and on Tuesday and Wednesday tried to get them to do that and they wouldn't. Not until it got to tier 2 and a tech finally decided to do that did it finally resolve the problem. 15+ hours of wasted time because all they know how to do is read scripts and restart the receiver. It's unfortunate that a companies technical abilities are so insufficient that solving what must be a known problem (I found several posts on-line) that it takes days and days to resolve is now considered normal... Of course every person I spoke with at DTV (more than 6) always asked me if there was anything else they could assist me with as we were hanging up after another unsuccessful session. They sure do know how to read a script, but not much else. And for the tech's that came on-site, they were so quick to blame the company and leave it too was sad. Finally on the 2nd tech visit I pointed to his shirt and pointed to his van and told him he represented the company and we expected him to work through the resolution. He responded that I would not be allowed to "hold him hostage". Pathetic. This was at best a 30 minute resolution and yet it took 3 days.

Roveer

#8 ·
Problem resolved... It was on their end.
Rover, understand that tech's hands are tied when it comes to issues like this one. They must rely on someone else knowing how to do their jobs, tech from experience can tell them what to do but if they don't want to listen then there is not much they can do. And is true, you can't hold anyone hostage, that happened once to me and it didn't end good for the homeowner, he got arrested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KyL416
#6 ·
No! While photos of a bad install are acceptable (we have a thread for that) naming and shaming people is not appropriate.

#7 ·
I have no intention of shaming anybody. The 2 techs that came on-site were actually good in what they did. It was handling the problem as a company where they both fell down. The service is working and I've moved on. However, we sent some stinging criticism of the entire process to AT&T via contacts that we had at the GNOC. At very least someone will cringe inside the organization.

Roveer

#12 ·
The point can be made without insults.

While you cannot stop the installers from leaving you can refuse to sign for a non working installation.

Sometimes being the face of a company means going the extra mile (beyond the job description). That is what I do and what I expect.

Were the installers DIRECTV employees or contractors? Contractors can look like employees and drive logoed vans. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference.

#13 ·
The point can be made without insults.

While you cannot stop the installers from leaving you can refuse to sign for a non working installation.

Sometimes being the face of a company means going the extra mile (beyond the job description). That is what I do and what I expect.

Were the installers DIRECTV employees or contractors? Contractors can look like employees and drive logoed vans. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference.
Both were contractors. It really shouldn't make a difference. I know in reality it often does. It's good to hear that your view of getting a job done is different than what I experienced. It's unfortunate, both tech's were nice guys, and knew what they were doing. Just couldn't get to a successful outcome.

The sting of 3 days of frustration has worn off and the lady is enjoying her TV. Time to move on.

#16 ·
Not to the script readers. it's like the first time they've ever head it, and just kept reading their scripts. On day 2, the script reader insisted it was a dish alignment problem and insisted on setting up a 2nd tech visit.

BTW, we begged to be put up to T2 support, yet they wouldn't do it. They made this entire thing happen all on their own.

How's that for training. Guess DTV will have to raise their prices to pay for all that script reading confusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.