DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A few questions about my Hopper 3 install tomorrow

810 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  unr1 
#1 ·
Hi dbstalk community :)

A couple months ago I made a post about my apartment forcing residents to move their dish from "common space" areas

They had a deadline for April 17th and never removed any dishes from the complex. I called them out on it and they said they are in the process. Haha... we'll see.

Anyway, I was thinking of canceling Dish but decided to renew my contract like a sucker for 24 months for a Hopper 3 upgrade. I currently have a Hopper 2. Ever since I upgraded the software on the Hopper 2 it's painfully slow. Useable but noticeably slower.

I want to be informed before the tech comes out tomorrow morning so I have a few questions for those with the knowledge.

1.) Is my current LNB setup compatible with the Hopper 3? (I have a single TV). If not, is an install possible? As you can see there are bushes in the way but unfortunately the dish needs to be in that area.

2.) How can I transfer timers over to the new receiver?

3.) I don't really need any stored content from the Hopper 2 but it doesn't hurt to transfer it over. Is the transfer via ethernet fairly quick?

4.) Just confirming... the external HD I have with the Hopper 2 will be plug and play with the Hopper 3, right? All saved content will be accessible?

Any other tips or advice?

I greatly appreciate the help and I apologize for the lengthy post!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
thank you!

I read somewhere on the forums that transferring via ethernet from hoppers was possible through some menu. But it's no big deal.

I'll update the thread with the final install. Wish me luck :D

p.s. It's raining here and I'm having signal loss. But this happens only during heavy rainfall. I'll mention it to the tech tomorrow so he can maximize signal, hopefully.

#4 · (Edited)
Install update:

The installer came around 8:30 AM and left around 10 AM. Much longer than expected due to the slow Hopper 3 setup menu.

He did not have to change the LNB or the dish.
The only thing he added was a hybrid solo hub switch (orange color) which he said should have been installed from before.

The receiver got stuck on the activation screen and needed a reboot. Then it got stuck on the download software screen and needed a reboot. The tech thought that the missing hub may have been a cause so he added it and did a reboot. The download software screen finished in a couple minutes after that.

The tech had no idea how to transfer timers. He even had his manager swing by to check up on him (lol) and he also said he didn't know how to transfer timers. Not a big deal for me but I can see this being an annoyance.

He had also moved the dish to the left to improve signal. I had to compromise on my entry space but it's worth it. I was getting more signal loss compared to my old dish location (see picture in other thread linked in first post).

My Hopper 3 software version is U349

Some thoughts on the Hopper 3 compared to Hopper 2...

-I'm not impressed by the 52.0 remote. Maybe it will take some getting use to. I don't like that the buttons "click" on every press. It is more compact which is nice. But I prefer the soft buttons on the 40.0 remote. I have both remotes paired.
-The menus are definitely faster on the Hopper 3, as expected. I timed 3.3 seconds from pressing DVR to it showing up on the screen on the Hopper 2. Only 0.7 seconds on the Hopper 3. Much faster! :)
-The external HD I had with the Hopper 2 was plug and play. The Hopper 3 recognized it and all my saved content was accessible.
-Overall it's the same experience as my Hopper 2 except it's faster and I don't have to worry about timing conflicts, especially during primetime anytime.

Random facts I learned today...

-The tech said that they still install Hopper 1s. It depends on the credit of the person and such. He said those are painfully slow now. The carbon update is already on those. He said the 722s are much faster. But of course those have the original style.
-Dish would send techs out to do the Samsung washer repairs. The tech said they trained them with one video and that's it. It was a simple fix and he did over 200 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.