1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

‘Dish Anywhere’ Trademark Challenged by DirecTV, Cable Operators

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    ‘Dish Anywhere’ Trademark Challenged by DirecTV, Cable Operators

Dish Network’s Sling-powered Internet video streaming service, Dish Anywhere, is not only being contested on legal grounds by Fox — the satcaster also now is fighting with pay TV rivals over its trademark claim to the name.

DirecTV, Comcast, Cablevision, Cox, Time Warner Cable and Charter filed challenges Wednesday to Dish’s claim on “Dish Anywhere” with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.

They each argue that “Anywhere” is a generic term that other companies have used for related services, and claim they would be “damaged” if Dish obtained exclusive rights to the name.

Full Story Here
    [​IMG]

2. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    It's hard to imagine any other company being hurt by not being able to use the term Dish Anywhere. I highly doubt that they're not allowed to use the word anywhere if they wanted to just not Dish Anywhere. So if for example Directv wanted to say Directv Anywhere, that's not the same thing and should be ok. Basically this sounds like a lawsuit that some lawyer came up with to make some extra money and used his debating skills to convince the tv providers involved that it would be a good idea.

3. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Actually, if Dish is awarded the trademark for Dish Anywhere, they can the challenge any other competitors use of the word Anywhere for any product or service as confusing to consumers and diluting their brand.

Happens all the time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

4. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    The problem is that Dish could turn around and sue DirecTV for using "DirecTV Anywhere" or Comcast for using "Comcast Anywhere" because it is "close" to Dish Anywhere. Trademark law is a little complicated sometimes.

5. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Somehow I doubt it. I don't doubt that some lawyer might try to convince Dish to try to sue if anyone used the word anywhere but I doubt it would be a winnable case as just "anywhere" is way too generic. Plus it does say they filed specifically to trademark "Dish Anywhere" not just anywhere.

6. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    Is Directv upset because "anywhere" actually means anywhere and not just the vicinity of your router's wifi range.

1 person likes this.
  7. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    This is dumb.

Directv can use Direct anywhere or Directv anywhere.

Would a court uphold this if someone tried to steal McDonald's anywhere?

Dish has a trademark on Dish.

8. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Qv: Apple v Amazon, re 'app store' trademark.

Hint: they didn't rule for Apple.

You can't claim a generic term alone when it's used with a descriptor like Amazon or Dish.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Right... Apple couldn't prevent Amazon from having an Amazon app store... so I see no reason why DirecTV couldn't have their own "anywhere" phrase.

But with that in mind... "Sunday" is a day of the week and "ticket" is a generic word that people use for lots of things... so why can't Dish have their own "Sunday Ticket"? I bet DirecTV wouldn't agree in that scenario.

10. comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    Dish anywhere is kind of a scam to me, I just installed a hopper w/sling and download the app on my android incredible and I can watch tv anywhere. I wasn't as impressed in the receiver. I cant ever access my tv from the ip address on my tv.

11. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This is the kind of thing that makes attorneys rich. And Charlie had to know when he released the Hopper that he would be in a long-term grudge match with everyone in the business. What's ironic about this is that if you Google tv anywhere, DirectTV Everwhere gets paid results at the top of the page along with Dish.

And let us not forget the ties here, such as those between Comcast and NBC or Cablevision and AMC. There's a reason the term "media conglomerates" appears in many stories.

12. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    But with that in mind... "Sunday" is a day of the week and "ticket" is a generic word that people use for lots of things... so why can't Dish have their own "Sunday Ticket"? I bet DirecTV wouldn't agree in that scenario.
    It would be the NFL in a twist in your scenario because the NFL owns the Sunday Ticket trademark and it is licensed to D*.

An Apple/Amazon ruling wouldn't prevent another judge in another Federal district from ruling differently.

If your D* (or any of the others) do you risk playing roulette, or do you try to prevent the trademark from being issued?

13. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Lame. Why don't they all join together and fight these rising carrier fees instead?

14. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Um Directv calls it "Directv Everywhere"

See you would have already lost your lawsuit!

15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here with footnote links is the Wikipedia entry on TV Everywhere:

If it didn't cost all these signal providers money which costs will be passed on to us, it'd be downright amusing that these morons are challenging Dish on the use of "anywhere" which according to Dictionary.com means "in, at, or to any place" as opposed to the definition of "everywhere" which means "in every place or part; in all places."

I wonder if I could intervene and to advise the court that both terms without the modifying phrase "where a strong, high speed internet signal is available" are "misleading." [​IMG]

16. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    The Apple vs. Amazon thing is absolutely why the other carriers are challenging Dish.

They already have a trademark on "Dish", so if "anywhere" is a generic term then it is not trademark-able. If the other carriers don't put up a fight, though, and Dish DOES get it trademarked, then the term "Anywhere" when it comes to television services out of the home would then belong to Dish, regardless of whether or not it is associated with Dish or not. It's why people got sued for using the letter i before the names of iPod accessories. Even if it is not exact, if it is confusing in the marketplace, then Dish would be able to enforce their trademark.

17. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    The exact trademark is "Dish Anywhere" per the filing at the USPTO. Apple has a valid trademark on "Apple App Store" while Amazon has one on "Amazon App Store."

There's nothing that prevents DirecTV from creating "DirecTV Anywhere" just like "Dish Anywhere." It even has a Distinctiveness Limitation Statement saying "as to DISH."

The appellants have no legal standing on this one.

1 person likes this.
  18. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    ....And money is rollin in for the lawyers, and the winners would be... you guessed it.