1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘Saturday Night Live’ Makes Historic Change With Live Broadcast Coast-to-Coast

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by James Long, Mar 17, 2017.

1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    'Saturday Night Live' to air live nationwide

For the first time in 42 seasons, "Saturday Night Live" will air live from New York across all mainland U.S. time zones, NBC announced Thursday.

"That way, everyone is in on the joke at the same time," NBC Entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt said in a statement.

Fans in Mountain and Pacific time zones have, until now, had to watch the show on tape delay.

SNL's new simulcast will debut April 15 with the return of former cast member and "The Tonight Show" host Jimmy Fallon.

---
    It should be interesting to see what they do to handle the difference between what one can do on TV at 11:30 vs what one can do on TV at 8:30.

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I haven't watched SNL regularly singe the days of John Belushi, Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtin. I watched periodically to see Tina Fey, but the show hasn't been on my "must see"list for quite some time.

3. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    My guess is that the writers/producers won't do anything special to account for the fact that they're being seen at an earlier hour on the left side of the country, although NBC will likely put a disclaimer at the beginning of the broadcast. That's what they do with the "SNL" anthology specials that air in prime time.

4. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "Material originally aired at a later hour" would not apply to the first airing of a live show. And there are some things that SNL will never re-air.

Federal obscenity laws apply 24/7 so any obsenities aired at 8:30pm would have been illegal at 11:30pm. Indecent and profane content would be the challenge:
    "The FCC has determined, with the approval of the courts, that there is a reasonable risk that children will be in the audience from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., local time. Therefore, the FCC prohibits station licensees from broadcasting indecent material during that period."

"The safe harbor refers to the time period between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., local time. During this time period, a station may air indecent and/or profane material. In contrast, there is no safe harbor for the broadcast of obscene material. Obscene material is entitled to no First Amendment protection, and may not be broadcast at any time."
    source

Note that the rules apply to broadcast licensees. People watching live on the east coast would not be able to complain (unless the content was obscene) since their local time is after 10pm. Saving the edgier stuff until midnight/10 mountain time would put most of the affiliates in safe harbor hours. Individual stations will make the choice of whether or not they want to take the risk. I would not be surprised to see a 10 second delay for the west coast ... just in case.

It is risky, edgy, and might work.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Me too. That's a show that was best when it began, I think. I used to record every episode (once I got a VCR) then the cast changed, all the folks I really liked left and I lost interest.

Rich

6. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I guess they will water it down further considering that they won't have the luxury of editing the 11:30pm west coast feed as they have in the past.

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Such an event! Not. But I appreciate James' explanation of the FCC rules.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That was before my time to see it live, but I liked it in the 90s with Dana Carvey and Phil Hartman.

9. freerein100

freerein100 Legend

Dec 13, 2007
    Just a couple weeks ago a host dropped the f bomb during the opening monologue. You would think that they would use a slight delay for all live broadcasts.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

10. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    SNL is still on? I haven't watched it since the early 90s.

11. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    SNL has long ago degnerated into a group of self-important no-talents making uneducated and unfair political commentaries.

jimmie57 likes this.
  12. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Late-night "comedy" has degenerated into a "vast desert wasteland," and I dearly miss it.

Can't even remember the last time I've ever found it funny. Used to be able to enjoy it and unwind at the end of the day.

Ferguson, with his witty robot skeleton sidekick and goofy pantomime horse was truly at the end of an era.

(Admittedly, they took a while to grow on me but I don't think I've had a good laugh from anything late-night since they left the airwaves.)

jimmie57 likes this.
  13. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    NBC + Prime Time = No Autohop.

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I record and watch SNL, and have since I got my first DVR. Difference being that I FF through most of it. Usually glean ten minutes out of the show that are funny indeed. Takes maybe 15 minutes to do so.

Gloria_Chavez likes this.
  15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That is not true.

In markets an networks where Autohop is delayed it is made available after the delay period (three days or seven days depending on network). Looking at my NBC programming I have Autohop for Friday night shows (Saturday was a Stanley Cup playoff). Live shows such as award shows and sports usually do not have Autohop (which has been true since the first Hopper was released).

16. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I have recorded three weeks worth of 8:30pm SNL, there is no Prime Time Autohop available. I guess the reason for no Prime Time Autohop has to do with it being a live show.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Your post did not limit your rebuke to SNL. It was a blanket statement against all NBC shows. And it was false.

SNL in prime time was a live program for the west coast for the past three episodes. Autohop should not be expected on live programs.

18. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Well what do you know, I guess the forum doesn't notify a user that the quoted post is being actively edited.

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "NBC + Prime Time = No Autohop." remains a false statement.

20. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Out of context, yes. This thread provides that context. As most people know, SNL is produced by NBC, whose parent company is NBC Universal. What many people may not know is that NBC Universal sued DISH Network. The settlement that was reached limited ad-skipping during prime time until after seven days from a show's broadcast airing. Since the agreement isn't between SNL and DISH Network, it seemed appropriate to state whose responsible for limiting Autohop during SNL's prime time broadcast that this thread discusses. As I already mentioned, I wasn't aware that live shows, such as those with a clear commercial structure, as apposed to a live sporting event which is more likely to be without a clear commercial structure, would also not qualify for the Autohop feature.