1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ to premier September 24...yes, really

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jun 19, 2017.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Per ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Gets September Premiere Date On CBS & CBS All Access, Season 1 Split In Two and other articles, the series will premiere on Sunday, Sept. 24th at 8:30 p.m. with the two first episodes available to stream on CBS All Access and subsequent episodes premiering on CBS All Access the following Sundays. The 15-episode first season will be offered in two chapters. The first eight episodes will roll out through Nov. 5. The series will then return with seven new episodes in January 2018.

Rich likes this.
  2. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I watch the premier on CBS not sure if I would want to pay $5.99 a month to continue to watch it.

3. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    If you have abandoned "the cord" packages which I've done for everything but "basic cable channels", CBS All Access more than replaces your local CBS channel. It gives you all CBS shows plus All Access originals and, for most of the nation's viewers, it gives you a live feed of your local CBS channel. And you can get it with "limited commercials" on streaming for $5.99 a month.

At $9.99 a month for the no commercials when combined with no commercials Hulu at $11.99 a month, you retain next day access to all your ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC prime time programming without having to skip commercials on DVR recordings.* Chances are you're paying at least that $22 for locals and a DVR. But with CBS All Access, and even more so with Hulu, you're getting original programming you can't get elsewhere.

Cord switching is complicated as I discussed in this post and others in the thread
    2017 - My year of the "cord switch" and because the internet streaming offers are rapidly expanding and changing it's hard to decide how to allocate your TV budget.

*There are a very few exceptions on Hulu. Because of licensing contracts ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" comes with a commercial at the beginning and end of each episode and NBC's "The Blacklist" cannot be shown on Hulu. CBS All Access runs the occasional ad for other CBS shows.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have no need for CBS All Access without the show, so I will not be paying CBS for access to the programming.

If I did not have a local broadcaster irradiating my home with their signal I might consider a subscription - but not for one show.

5. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    If I had OTA signals for CBS, ABC, Fox, and NBC, I'm pretty sure I would not spend money on either CBS All Access or Hulu. I would have to have a DVR with three receivers....

6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I will, at least, give this series a change. My interest in Star Trek waned after the conclusion of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, I lost interest after a season of Star Trek: Voyager, and never regained it in Star Trek: Enterprise even though I was a Scott Bakula fan from Quantum Leap. The problem is that the writing went downhill, and thus the quality of the show. The studio meddled in the show to much.

I saw the first trailer, and my already subdued reactions were notched further downward. This is supposed to take place around TOS's timeframe (10 years before), yet the ship looks more shinier than the TOS ship. I realize that we are looking at over 50 years difference in production, but it doesn't feel right. The look of the Klingons is different than what has been established, but this can be explained away.

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    There is, of course, a lot of folks born after the original series (TOS) or even Voyager and Enterprise. Many haven't seen anything but one or more of the recent movies. That this is a prequel to TOS presents some interesting opportunities to reimagine the next couple of hundred years. What they are going to do with that will be interesting. Particularly in anticipation of using modern technology to prepare for the likes of Tribbles. [​IMG]