1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

0 Signal on even on 103 but not 99

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by StephenT, Apr 26, 2011.

1. StephenT

StephenT Legend

Mar 6, 2008
    Just noticed today that I don't have signal on the even transponders at 103 (either ca or cb), and I don't have signal on 110 (only 3 evens there anyway) or most of 119. It's normal for 101 and 99(c). I'm not getting my locals.

I've read that it's often a bad connection, but nothing has been changed or moved. Also if it were a bad cable wouldn't I lose all evens and not just the ones on one sat? Is a bad lnb more likely? I figure I should just call D*, but I wanted to check here first if there's any troubleshooting I can do.

I have a slimline-5 dish hooked to an SWM-8 into a four way splitter going to 3 HD-DVRs and my router with whole home setup. I haven't tried or tested anything yet other than checking the signal strengths after getting a searching for satellite message on some channels.

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    The LNB may be at fault

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Check the 103/110/119 lines from the LNB to the SWM-8. If you swap these with the 101/99 lines and the problem stays with 103, then it's probably the LNB. If the problem moves with the cables, then it's probably the cables.

EDIT: someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 103 even's would be on the 18v 22kHz line, so swapping that line with another one would narrow it down to a single cable instead of two. :)

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You're correct.

5. StephenT

StephenT Legend

Mar 6, 2008
    Thanks, guys. I'll try the cable swap when I get home from work. Even if it is a cable I'd have to go on my roof to swap it out, so I'll probably call D* either way. I'll just be curious to know which it is though. If it's the lnb maybe they'll swap me for a SWiM lnb, which would be nice.

6. StephenT

StephenT Legend

Mar 6, 2008
    I'll be damned. It's the cable. I switched it to the first 101/99 port and now I have no evens on 101 and 99. They are all hand cut cables, but they were good up until now. I'm thinking I'll replace the end I can reach in the attic to see if that's it. That would be simple. If it's the end at the dish, I may call D* to go on the roof. Might have to sign up for the protection package.

7. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Good Luck! Hopefully that does it.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

8. StephenT

StephenT Legend

Mar 6, 2008
    Replacing the connector on the cable did nothing. DirecTV guy came out today. He first thought it might be the port on the lnb. He replaced my Slimline-5 with a Slimline-3 (I don't need Spanish channels), and all is well. So he was right, and it was the lnb all along. In fact I had a few transponders in the high 70s before, and now they are like 89 or 90. I think the lnb was bad for a while and finally died. Now 89 is my lowest transponder and there are only two of them. I confirmed he didn't move the dish.

We reran setup on all 3 DVRs to change to slimline-3, and he left. He even left me his number in case anything went wrong with what he did that didn't require a work order so he could come back. Nice guy.