1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1/2 Page Ad

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by whalerfan, Nov 14, 2011.

1. whalerfan

whalerfan AllStar

May 31, 2007
    Today I was flipping through the Hartford Courant (America's oldest continuously published newspaper) where there was a 1/2 page ad imploring UCONN fans to switch from Dish Network to any other provider. This is because SNY is not available on E*. Since there are 13 games from the defending National Champions that cannot be seen by E* subscribers here in Connecticut this is actually a pretty smart move.

I can tell you this, if SNY is not back on Dish when my commitment is up, I will find another provider. I just don't see how it makes good business sense to not have any of the RSN's from the #1 market on the system.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    It'$ really a matter of dollar$ and cent$. :D

3. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    It does make very good business sense. It was addressed by Dish just yesterday. You are making the same mistake as many do. Sports is NOT important to the vast majority of viewers. At least not if they are overall satisfied with their provider. I don't blame anyone for leaving Dish if watching locals sports is important. But Dish is going in a different direction, doing well at it, and unless the RSN's and ESPN become more realistic in pricing, OR - allow them to be out of the regular packages, you may see more than DISH drop them.

Dish has offered on several occasions to let the NY RSN's charge whatever they want, as long as they were in a separate package. Of course they won't because many won't pay their fees when they understand how high they are. They could never get by with those who would, when the rest of us held hostage now drop them.
    Even ESPN, at what is reported as $4 per person, would lose many subscribers if they could just drop them. No one in my family watches it but me. I could live without it, get the only two shows I really watch all the time (Around the Horn and PTI) online or hear the audio on SiriusXM.

4. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    AMEN BROTHER!

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    According to one source "at the beginning of 2011, USA Network is in 99.95 million homes (86.2% of the country), Spike TV is in 99.5 million homes (85.8%), Syfy is in 98.14 million homes (84.7%) and WGN America is in 72.88 million homes (62.9%)."

According to another source "for the first time since ESPN2 was launched in October '93, the network is in the same number of U.S. households as flagship station ESPN. Both networks are available in 99.5 million households."

According to another source:
    I don't understand why sports fans don't get it. I like the premium movie channels. But when I want that content I'm confronted with this:

[​IMG]

I don't understand why sports fans aren't confronted with similar choices. Applying the available numbers and assuming an ESPN package could do about as well as HBO and looking at everyone paying for HBO you get this:

[​IMG]

While it would be to my benefit to have everyone pay $3.40 a month in their basic package for HBO, I wouldn't ask for that. And I think if sports is so *&%#$ important to so many, put a price like $21.00 a month on it and see just how important it is in so many households.

In the meantime, just send me a monthly check for $6.00 for ESPN and a similar check for regional sports, and we'll call it even.:rolleyes:

6. whalerfan

whalerfan AllStar

May 31, 2007
    Your points are well stated and well thought out. I counterpoint with the following. When I signed up for Dish after an eight year hiatus, I did so under the assumption that the extra $5 per month for the local RSN's would be suffice. They included NESN, CSNNE and SNY. (I am not a Yankee/Nets fan so I had no problem with no YES.) Dish also at the time advertised that they carried SNY and UCONN fans should switch to them as not all cable companies in Connecticut carried SNY. So I came back. To my surprise, on opening day of the MLB season, the contract ran out and SNY went dark on Dish Network. So at that time, I was issued a 33% price increase. Now with the situation in the NBA there is really no need for CSNNE. To me that's another 33% increase. So some of your points are moot as I am paying for RSN's. Not receiving what I signed up for and have no (inexpensive) way out other than completely dropping the RSN"s and saving the $5 per month.