1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1-2 year commitment

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by whynot83706, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whynot83706

whynot83706 AllStar

Jul 27, 2006
    My friend just switched to Cable and I was planning to use one of his receivers. Since I need to order new card will that lock me up in the new 2 year commitment with DTV.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    You can try to discuss it with them, but usually...yes

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Call DirecTV and ask them.

In theory, the commitment comes from getting a new receiver and/or having a professional installation done. If you are adding the receiver to an existing account, you just need to get it turned up. If you need an install, you might as well get a new receiver setup because you'll likely have to commit to get the install.

Unless your friend owes a wad of money, you shouldn't need to replace the card. You'll just need to get it transferred to you.

4. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Godfather

Sep 27, 2005
    They will do everything to convince you that you need to be under contract, but really you don't. The contract usually comes as a result of an investment D* makes in you as a customer, and in return you guarantee commitment to them.

So when you call, make it clear you do NOT want a commitment. Get it in WRITING!!

Do not accept free equipment. Do not accept any specials. Do not accept special pricing. Do not accept any free or discounted packages. Any acceptance of any of the above automatically locks you into a contract.

So if they make no investment in you, then they will either want you as a new customer, or they won't. Good luck.

5. whynot83706

whynot83706 AllStar

Jul 27, 2006
    Ty

6. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Godfather

Sep 27, 2005

Let us know what happened. Curious.

7. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Godfather

Jun 29, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    I don't think this puts a commitment on you, if you order a card, and then call back to add the card and the receiver. I usually would see commitments added when ordering additional receivers, replacment receivers, additional dvrs, or replacment dvrs/hd equipment.

If a commitment is required, a pop up usually happens when the agent is making the changes...I never saw that when activating a card.

It could have changed by now, but I am reasonably sure there would be no commitment, if it does happen, it would happen when the access card team ordered a card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.