1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

1 dish within 18 months for LOL

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by James, Nov 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James

James AllStar

Sep 2, 2002
    Satellite TV broadcasters would be allowed to bring programming from distant markets to areas where local broadcasters don't offer digital signals of their own. The measure also would give Echostar Communications Corp., the No. 2 satellite-television service, 18 months to end its policy of offering local channels to customers over two satellite dishes. The company said the provision will cost it $100 million.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aDt0ggzTk.vQ&refer=top_world_news

More info here

http://www.house.gov/rules/h4818divj.pdf

2. beasst37799

beasst37799 Legend

Mar 8, 2004
    so it looks like shvira will pass tonight .and it also looks like well get out of market stations fropm neighboring stations

3. FaxMan

FaxMan Legend

Oct 13, 2003
    This sounds like great news for HDTV enthusiasts who's local stations don't broadcast digital. I've been searching around and can't find any more info/confirmation, or even discussion except this thread.

I wonder how long implementation will take?

4. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    There are many stations doing digital that are not passing through or doing HD.

5. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    We will have tos ee the ful text of whatever is enacted.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Keep in mind - DIGITAL <> HDTV .

7. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Also have to wonder if a 1KW broadcast from a tower 20 miles away counts as being served. It will probably take a year or so before the FCC comes up with the rules for distant HD.

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I know the the NAB would want 1 watt from 2000 miles away to count. :rolleyes:

9. RaceTrack

RaceTrack Cool Member

Jun 11, 2004
    SO.. what does this mean for us that want =ALL= our local channels like cable has now?

10. FaxMan

FaxMan Legend

Oct 13, 2003
    I understand that, but I 'assume' that if a local (ABC and FOX in my case) either has no digital signal or an extremely low power digital signal, I might be able to get a distant digital (+ hopefully HD) feed via my Satellite provider.

11. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Are they going to still allow us to have testing done at our home if we are denied a feed via a waiver?

12. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Are there waivers?

13. joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    See this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.