1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 HR24 with 6 H24s - is this OK?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dschamis, May 24, 2010.

1. dschamis

dschamis Cool Member

Oct 18, 2008
    I currently have 7 TVs in my house. If I get one HR24 and six H24s, will I be able to watch DVR'd content on all 6 of the receivers or is there some limit to the number of receivers that one HR24 can service?

Also, I think this is an obvious question but I will ask it anyway - all 6 of the H24s will be able to tune live TV independently, right? So in other words I can watch seven different things at one time (if I ever really needed to).

Thanks,

David

2. djousma

djousma Legend

Jan 22, 2007
    No. Only one streamed show at a time. Might want one or two more DVR's.

Each of the receivers can watch live TV independantly, but DVR recorded material is a different story.

3. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    I'm sure there is some limit, but I don't think you've reached it....

Just be aware that the DVR will not be able to serve a stream to all six receivers at one time...only one active stream at a time, if I remember correctly.

All seven boxes would be able to tune a different live TV channel at the same time...

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes to most. Remember that the DVR can/will only work with one client at a time, so with 6 of them, only one at a time for MRV and the others would need to do live TV themselves.

5. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    All 6 would be able to watch DVR'd content, but only 1 at a time. The HR24 can only send out 1 MRV stream. So, if that will not work for your situation, you may want to rethink your setup.

6. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    It can service all 6 but only one at a time. You could watch a recording on the DVR and a different or even the same recoding on one of the non DVRs. You would want one or two more DVRs. They don't need to be 24s. Of course you could watch any live programing on any unit at any time.

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Put another way, if there are only two viewers in the home and one is sitting in front of the DVR, either can watch anything at any time. :)

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    As folks have noted, it's possible, but may not be practical in your situation. If there are only a couple of you and you will really only be watching one recording at a time regardless of location, it's probably fine to do this. If (and this is more likely with 7 TVs :)) on the other hand, you will want to make frequent use of both Live TV & Recordings, you should balance out your HR count .. perhaps add one or two more. If you had 3 HR24s and 4 H24s, all HR24s could watch a local recording while 3 of the four H24s could also watch a recording.

9. dschamis

dschamis Cool Member

Oct 18, 2008
    You guys have guessed right, in that I have a wife and three kids, so its not completely practical to only stream one show at a time.

So then the question is if I have multiple DVRs do I need to manage multiple DVRs recording lists? In other words, if I am going to want to stream two different show at the same time, do I need to think about that in advance and make sure that those two shows are recorded on two different DVRs?

Thanks again,

David

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes you do, otherwise if they're on one DVR, you're still limited by the single streaming limit.

11. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    Also remember that to schedule a show on a DVR you have to do it from that DVR -- you can't schedule remotely. So be sure to place the DVR's where they are easiest to get to for scheduling.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "but" with non DVRs you can schedule and pick which DVR.

13. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Or use a cell phone with the DirecTV app and do it that way as another alternative.

14. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    True, with one exception. While you can't schedule from one HR to another, you can schedule from an H to any HR it can see. It will also let you know if there's going to be a conflict.

To manage SL's on any HR, you have to be sitting in front of it.

15. ronkuba

ronkuba Legend

Feb 17, 2007
    Not true. You can record from HD receiver.

16. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I always forget the H's can do it since all I have are HR's :).

17. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I got my DVR to playback the the same show - not in sync - in two locations - the box it was recorded on and the client.

Read somewhere, that every DVR can show two programs to any two locations on the network.

As to the original poster with seven locations, I would suggest he needs more than one DVR. I would even suggest he get an 1 to 2 TB eSATA HD for more storage from the getgo.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Those two are: locally and one remote and not two remotely from the same DVR.

19. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I figure it out, for me at least, that I'm better off having my H's boxes in the rooms I do most of my TV watching (LR & Kit). Because this will allow me to take advantage of the 'autotune' feature of the H's boxes.

I setup 'autotune' in both boxes in the morning. So as I go back and forth to the kitchen during the day, both boxes will tune in to the shows I'm watching. Yes, I'm wasting electricity, by having both sets running, but in this age, both sets use almost as much power when they're in their 'off' state.

20. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Under the current DirecTV DECA Cloud - No. There will be one playback list. As you scroll thru the list, it will tell which DVR it is on. Currently we can't sort the list by which DVR it is on. But that's a software issue that will probably get upgraded down-the-line if enough of customers ask for this feature.

You're limited in playback by the number of tuners in the DRV.