1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 Failed Electronics Retailers

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Richard King, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    http://www.cepro.com/article/10_failed_electronics_retailers?utm_source=CEPWeekly&utm_medium=email
    More....

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Ah, the memories. I didn't shop at Federated, but believe it or not I've visited the other nine. I miss Computer City the most, although Incredible Universe was the most fun. They would open any box and install any software to let you try it. You knew that wasn't going to last.

3. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    The Wiz reminds me of that Seinfeld episode... Nobody beats the Wiz!! :lol:

4. Fontano

Fontano Godfather

Feb 7, 2008
    Highland and SILO should be on that list.

Highland was brutal, because their warranty program wasn't backed by an outside company. So when it went belly up, all those extended warranties were worth nothing.

5. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Where does the finger point really? I get the impression it is a main management issue, but I'm not sold entirely on that, I think the consumer's loyalties are partially to blame due to best bargain hunting. This isn't a bad thing, but at some point where is one's loyalty? Businesses can't rely on that and have to work hard to continue to stretch the best bargain in order to feed the frenzy of consumerdom. I think more stores will pop up and others will go away. I think BestBuy has done a great job of keeping up with consumer wants/needs. The others have way to many issues in order to endure. Just my tar pence mind you, but I think it is pretty real.

6. MIKE0616

MIKE0616 Godfather

Dec 13, 2006
    Did Computer City and IncredUniv really fail or were they just sold by Tandy (RatShack) after they proved they were inept at running them? They were the 2 best on the list IMO and I wish we still had those 2 around.

The strange thing that all of the stores in the list all have in common is that they even existed in the 1st place. Why? They were all run into the ground by some pretty incompetent management who proved they do the reverse "midas touch" (turn gold into lead.)

Oh, well, it seems that we will soon be down to BB as the only "big box" store around and everything else will be on-line or general merchandise stores (think Costco and WallyWorld.)

7. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    No, they really failed.

Also don't forget that there is Fry's Electronics, they're still around :)

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Costco has certainly come around of late for high-tech gear .. They could always expand. I believe they have a pretty simple business model that's geared towards making a steady profit.

9. 506PIR

506PIR Legend

Sep 21, 2006

Ah Good ol' Federated. I too have never shopped there but as a youngin' I remember
    their commercials coming on when The Three Stooges were on ... On channel 5 in L.a.I've been trying to remember that name. Thanks Stuart for bringing it up. I miss the Good Guys a little bit as I built up a friendship with one of the sales people

10. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I visited a Tower Records/Good Guys store in Vegas a few years back. Would have expected the place to be much busier than it was. The Good Guys side had more sales reps walking around than customers and Tower had less than 20 people shopping. Seemed like it made business sense to combine the two (at the time), but I guess times change.

Looking at the stock for Sears Holding, and I wonder how much longer they (along with KMart) will be around.

11. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Being originally from NJ, I remember The Wiz and Crazy Eddies like it was yesterday!

12. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Highland Electronics... I didn't realize they got that big. I remember visiting a store in Boston in the late 1980s. It seemed cool at the time. As for Silo, they had a store in San Bernardino but I mostly remember appliances, not home electronics.

Let's not forget Lechmere, for all you New Englanders.

13. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Crazy Eddie - his prices are INNNNN SAAAAAANNNNNE! How can you beat those commercials?

Does anyone else remember Tops Appliance City?

Also - I bought my first cable modem at Nobody Beats the Wiz ... (after the name change from just plain 'The Wiz'). I paid $349 for a Motorola SURFboard 4100 modem + 1 year of Cablevision's Optimum Online service. I thought that was a steal! And that's roughly what I'm paying for my cable modem services even now, so many years later ... ($29.95/month) ...

14. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    The former Incredible Universe store in Dallas is currently a Fry's.

Add to the lise: Allied Radio, Concord Radio, Lafayette Radio. They all disappeared quite a while ago.
    On another tack: Here are some TV brands/manufacturers/vendors that are gone: Admiral, Motorola, Capehart, DuMont, Muntz, Wards, Packard Bell, Wells Gardner, Truetone, Stromberg-Carlson, Hallicrafters, Philco, Silvertone.

15. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I worked for a "catalog showroom" store in suburban Minneapolis for a while that went out of business. I was in the stereo department (of course) and worked there mainly to get good deals on equipment (and win things in sales contests). I won a bunch of good stuff including a 125cc Italian built Harley Davidson dirt bike, a tonearm for which I had to buy a turntable and cartridge (I still have it an use it), and a bunch of other smaller things. I bought quite a bit on the employee purchase plan. After I was gone for about a year or so (got hired away by a pro audio dealer) the company (LaBelle's) folded. The space that they occupied is now occupied by Best Buy in Wayzata, Minnesota.

I also worked for a while for an outfit called Pickwick International. They owned Musicland at the time and were the world's largest record distributor. The whole corporation was started by a couple of Minnesota brothers (Heilicher Brothers) and sold to American Can. American Can eventually sold this asset the the people who drove it into the ground. I worked for the Pickwick record label in their remastering studios working on records that were released on the label. Pickwick was sort of an early version of KTel, another Minnesota company that hired many Pickwick people.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/30872664.html :(

16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    The Computer City in Sacramento became a CompUSA. A decade later, it was known as "closed".

The Incredible Universe in Sacramento became a Fry's store. The truck that is used for deliveries still has some of the signage, although most of it is painted over.

The biggest black mark for Circuit City is the Divx media format (not to be confused with the Divx encoding format). Man, what a goose egg that was laid there.

17. Fontano

Fontano Godfather

Feb 7, 2008
    That was actually the time I pretty much decided to not shop at CC anymore.
    Over the 10 years, I did break that rule a very few times.
    Usually be cause they had an absolutely crazy good price on an item or two.

18. MIKE0616

MIKE0616 Godfather

Dec 13, 2006

and who can forget Heath Electronics and their HeathKit offerings? :)

They were one of the first to offer a PC as a kit, complete with their own "Benton Harbor OS" and the world famous "Benton Harbor Basic" (which was actually one the better interpreter BASICs ever offered.) :lol:

Olsen Electronics was along the line of Lafayette and Allied and had some neat offerings in the stereo and electronics line, although I don't remember them having ham gear. I still have some tower speakers I purchased there back in the 70s and use them in the garage. They are as good as ever, although are not the most efficient ones you have ever seen. Every time I move them, I am reminded that they were "sold by the pound." :D

19. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    Hey, I resemble that remark:) My first PC was an H89 that the S/W was loaded via audio cassette tape. Then came dual 100K floppy drives for $700 - my wife was not real happy with that purchase :D
    Thanks for the memories!

20. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    Hallicrafter taught me as a kid that you shouldn't (for business reasons) build a TV that lasts forever, is extremely easy to work on if the highly improbable should happen, and was "simply the best"!:)