1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 More HD Channels For $5/Month; Are They Worth It?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by KingLoop, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 4, 2005 #1 of 34
    KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    Alot of people are complaining in other threads about the $5/mth for the 10 new Rainbow 1 channels. Some people (myself included) think that these channels seem worth the extra expense. (And have me thinking of upgrading to an 811 if not a 942)

To those who think the $5 is a good deal I agree.

To those who don't, WHY? And, do you think that these channels are free to E*? (Seriously that's no a rhetorical question, do you think there is no cost involved for E* to provide these channels?)

2. May 4, 2005 #2 of 34
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    As I've posted in another thread, the additional 10 channels are absolutely worth $5 a month more. I now am receiving 17 HD channels from satellite (5 HDPak channels, 10 voom channels, 2 CBS-HD channels), and am paying $15 a month for them. Directv has 7 that I would qualify for (FOX-HD and CBS-HD plus their HD Pak channels) that I would have to pay either $12 or $14 a month for. Comcast has 5 non-locals HD channels available in Denver, but to get them I would have to be at the $60 a month package level.

So, for me, the Dish deal is far and away a better deal for the amount of programming that I have available to me.

3. May 4, 2005 #3 of 34
    ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    I ordered them and so far I think they are worth the $5 a month. Will be nice when we get all 21. Hats off to Charlie, he really pulled a fast one on D*. I would suspect most VOOM'ers will go with Dish to remain VOOM'ers. Thanks to Charlie and the Dolans, a lot more people can VOOM now. I will buy the entire package when available and consider myself to be a VOOM'er now. The Dolan's VOOM dream is not dead yet, folks. :D
    Now Cablevision can focus on developing the channels, and I suspect their content will improve.

4. May 4, 2005 #4 of 34
    datwell

datwell Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 26, 2005
    I just hope they add the rest A.S.A.P.!

da Doug

5. May 4, 2005 #5 of 34
    Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Well, I think you know how I feel about "worth it", KingLoop. I think the channels are a bargain, and I haven't even seen any of them yet! I'm just not a sat-dish-hugger (the secret is out :sure: ), and therefore am having a little trouble wrapping my brain around putting another one up on the roof, but I'm certain this will not be a deal-breaker. :)

6. May 4, 2005 #6 of 34
    ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    As a side note, I live in a Comcrap area, and I am starting to hear a lot of complaining about their prices. Sounds like they just had a big price increase.

7. May 4, 2005 #7 of 34
    ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    I second that. I want Gunslinger HD, Kung Fu HD and World Sport HD. ;)

8. May 4, 2005 #8 of 34
    Tomos

Tomos AllStar

Jan 16, 2005
    I have them and I think they are great and well worth 5 bucks xtra. :D

9. May 4, 2005 #9 of 34
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Announced on the Retailed Chat today that the next 11 channels would be added "no later than Q1 2006".

10. HarryO

HarryO Cool Member

May 3, 2005
    For me, the $5 is not the big issue. I do not view the 10 VoOM Channels as desirable enough to go through the expense and trouble of installing another dish. I've had HD for over a year now and OTA HD for almsot as long and am happy with OTA. Many VoOm'ers said the channels are repetative, which is one problem I had with DiscoverHD and others on the HD Pack. (I like Allison Krause but afte watching the same concert for the tenth time on HDNet, I had enough!)

I would have liked to have seen E* clear room on the 110/119, add the 10 channels to the HD Pack and then raise the price after everyone was able to get them and to determine if they liked them or not. Surely few would miss Kareoke, Bingo and other such fine channels they stuff in there to say, "Look, you get 120 channels!". Yeah, but 30%+ are junk but you have to take them to get what you really want.

Maybe down the road when E* gets their act together where you don't need multiple dishes then I will reconsider.

11. Tom_P

Tom_P AllStar

May 8, 2002
    For us down here in P.R. it is the only way to get Voom. I wanted to buy the system but they didn't allow it. I think there're worth the price, before this addition $9.99 for 5 channels, now $15 for 15 channels. I didn't count CBS, HBO and Cinemax because we gan get them anyway paying for the Local or movie package.

I'm really happy because finally I can say that I'm using my HDTV a lot more, I'm taking advantage of the investent or expense as some people may call it.

12. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Defiantly worth it...

13. FRACH

FRACH Cool Member

May 1, 2005
    Don't hesitate! They are worth it!! Oh and had my install today. All I can say in being brief is :( :mad: :confused: :eek2: :eek: He didn't speak english very well, and he took down a perfectly good 24" dish, and disconnected my OTA in my bedroom and cut the wire! But Dish was very gracious about it. They told me I could go out to Rat Shack and buy RG6 wire and install it myself. VERY NICE!

Jeff

14. cliburn

cliburn Cool Member

May 4, 2003
    Installed the 61 deg dish today... Voom channels definitly worth $5.

15. winston_one

winston_one Cool Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I just installed it today with a DP44. According to the guide the channels do seem to be pretty repetitive, but $.50 a channel is a pretty good price for more HD.

16. trido

trido AllStar

Nov 7, 2004
    Did you install the DP 44 your self?

Any issues with it , as I am installing mine thursday I have a Super dish 105 and sunday put up a 18" for 61.5 works ok but what a pain hooking super up then hooking 18" going back and fourth then have to check switch every time I hope the DP 44 takes care of that mess

Trido

17. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    MPEG2 or MPEG4?

18. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    That's an excellent question...my guess is MPEG2 at first.

19. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Good news and bad news for you... Good news is those channels aren't as repetitive as you think in some cases... like GuyTV and Majestic... Bad news is the guide is wrong about half the time, so you kinda have to watch to see what is on.

20. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    It is worth it, I ordered it today after installing my 61.5 dish!

You have both CBS-HD channels Mark? I didn't think that was permitted. Do you have some special waver for it, or can we all do it? Can we choose either one if we want to? If you had to choose betweent he east and west coast CBS-HDs, which one would you prefer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.