1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 years of DBSTalk --10 years on DBSTalk

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    First, a BIG congrats to DBSTALK.com, now in its 10th Anniversary year!

It was April 23, 2002, exactly 10 years ago today, at age 63 that I signed up with a new web site that was about satellite television. I became user number [strike]269[/strike] 259. Little did I know at the time that I would still be hanging around ten years later, much less still posting.

During the intervening ten years, much has happened in my life. I became single again, retired from my second career, moved from the big city to a small town near the seashore, suffered and survived a stroke, met a wonderful lady who is the love of my life, and purchased a new home.

Through all that, one of the constants in my life has been my participation on this site. I've gone through at least three notebooks during those years, even having one brought to me while I was in the hospital and physical rehab following the stroke.

Over the past ten years, DBSTalk has meant a great deal to me personally. With an almost daily participation of readings and postings, I've felt as if I belong to something greater than myself. For that, I am thankful.

I would be remiss if I didn't express my appreciation to a lot of people I've met along the way, far too many to mention by name, but a few I must. First, Chris Blount who tolerated (most of) my ascerbic rants with patience and a grace beyond words. David Bott, who bought DBSTalk, but didn't change its character. All of the moderators, present and past, but especially Richard King in Vero Beach, FL who became, and remains a valued friend, and James Long, at 85ยบ 58' 06" W, with whom I have butted heads so many times, but whom also I came to respect. You have been a most worthy antagonist, my friend. Lastly, JM Anthony. John, you have no idea how much your expressions of concern and messages of encouragement meant to me during a difficult time. I trust you and your lovely better-half are still riding with the wind

There are so many who I would like to name, but the limitations of space and the tediousness of typing with one hand dissuade me from doing so. But just know that I will long remember those of you with whom I have debated, cussed and discussed over the years.

No, I'm not leaving...I plan to be around for at least another ten years or so, the Good Lord willing, if for no other reason than (not then) to see what happens next. Here's to all of you, my friends, and to many, many more years of lively and mutually beneficial conversations.

Nick :goodjob:

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Congrats Nick

3. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Congrats!

4. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Congrats Nick. :blowout: You definitely keep this site interesting. :)

Here's to another 10 years! :goodjob:

5. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Congratulations!

6. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Nick, after reading your post, I was surprised to discover in my own profile, that I too joined DBS Talk on April 23, 2002! Congrats to you sir. I have thoroughly enjoyed the site, learned a lot by reading your posts and the posts of others. Many thanks to those who labor to keep DBS Talk going 24/7/365!

7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Congrats and you were actually user 259!

Here's to many more years!

8. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Congrats Nick, you are a huge, not hugh, part of this site's personality.:)

9. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Thanks for your kind words Nick. I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts over the years. You have a very unique wit and intelligence to your posts that sometimes make me laugh my butt off.

No words can really convey by appreciation other than THANK YOU for gracing us with your presence and all the best to you and your family. Looking forward to you being around the site for a long time to come.

Take care!

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Darn! I must be getting old. Thanks, Dennis.

11. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Nick, congrats and I look forward to reading many more posts! I don't post a lot but really enjoy reading posts from you, Richard, Chris and the other old timers. This site is the greatest and I learn something new everyday, even if it has nothing to do with DBS!

12. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Congrats, indeed, young feller! I joined 22 months after you, and am #5929- DBSTalk grew by 5,670 members in that short time!

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Congrats Nick - and keep yourself well !

Gee - I joined just before you - user # 195 - and my 10 year mark was yesterday .

14. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Congrats from user 15231.

15. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Still a few of us old fahts around. ;)

16. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    DBSTALK - it doesn't look a day over 9..... :D

Congrats to the staff, the Mods, and the contributors over this long period of time in Internet site years.

17. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I must have blinked.... it really has been ten years.

18. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Congratulations!

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, then, (not than)!, congrats to you Nick for many entertaining posts as well as longevity.

And congrats to Chris and all the guys who've put in long time helping the forum to be useful and entertaining.

20. timf

timf Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 21, 2002
    Wow, I didn't even realize it's been 10 years already! I've had my periods of inactivity and have a far lower post count than most of the members, but it's amazing to see how this site has grown over the years. Happy Anniversary to everyone involved, and all the early members.