1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100 ft HDMI ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by puffnstuff, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puffnstuff

puffnstuff Icon

Sep 2, 2006
    Alright my buddy owns a bar and they are doing the install right now for Sunday ticket and a couple HR-20's . Do to circumstances I need to run a 100 ft HDMI cable . The installer said not to use an inline booster like on the mopnoprice cables becasuse they don't work with D* . So what should I do ? Can I go component ?

2. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    I think your installer was refering to the RG6 cables going from the dish. You can try a 100 ft HDMI cable, but my guess is you'll need an in-line booster 1/2 way. If your friend doesn't mind springing for fiber-optic with HDMI ends that's what I'd do.

3. puffnstuff

puffnstuff Icon

Sep 2, 2006
    No the tv is on the other side of the ba so I need to run a 100 ft run . What I really want to know if the ones from monoprice will work ?

4. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    You will need an in-line signal booster/amp. I don't see why the monorpice product would not work. Ask before hand and chack on there return policies. They are generous on there return policy.

5. puffnstuff

puffnstuff Icon

Sep 2, 2006
    Thanks thats what I thought . The installer thought that the sat signal would be changed . I tried telling him it's just 0's and 1's but he didn't get it .

6. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I have a buddy that is using the 50ft monoprice one with the gold plated ends and it works WONDERFULLY. I'd give it a try or buy (2) 50's and put a equalizer and/or booster in between.

Definitely stick with the 22 gauge cable.

7. puffnstuff

puffnstuff Icon

Sep 2, 2006
    Should I get the cooper or the silver ? Does it matter ?

8. thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    Don't want to rain on anyones parade but HDMI/DVI spec is 15ft....max. You will most definitely need a signal booster. You can either go cable with integrated or regular cable(s) with booster in middle....it's a $$ and cents thing.

cable: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/flhdcawiacam.html

booster (no P/S needed): http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2939

Also, be careful what you buy saving $$$. With this type of run good signal to noise specs are key. It's the old adage...you get whatyou pay for. If you have to go down this road spend the relative few extra $$$ and get best quality...especially for 100ft. I'd take some time and research your choices with folks who've used them. AVS Forum can help: http://www.avsforum.com/

9. Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    I believe it. Doesn't change the fact that the 50ft 22 gauge cable worked AMAZING.

I definitely concur that a signal booster mid way is advised.

10. Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    I believe the plating has nothing to do with whether the cable will work or not. It's a matter of how conductive each metal is. IMHO, it shouldn't matter as long as the 1's and 0's make it the destination. :)

Others will argue this issue...

11. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    It can work....I've seen it too. I've also seen what looks to be a fine picutre 90% of the time pixelate every so often in these long runs....which to me if it does it once it's broken...there is no acceptable PQ breakup amount for me....gotta be 100% rock solid. I've even seen 16ft connection pixelate badly. Clearly, getting a good cable is always key....second is the source hardware and it's capabilities...third is the environment (like heat) it's running thru. Anyway, past 15ft. is a crap shoot.....if you've paid big $$$ for LCD/Plasma TV, $$$ for the Hx20 receivers, $$ for the HD monthly package....and your going to pay $80+ for a decent quality 100ft. cable is it not worth another $100 to get one with a repeater in it to be 100% sure ? :p Anyway, my two cents....that in this discussion will cost $100. :lol:

12. Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    :lol: :lol:

Excellent advice.

13. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    By the way, I re-read the post and you said your buddy has a bar. Having no idea the setup I would suggest component with seperate audio. It will go 100ft+ and most of all you can run/control thru a good switch. The idea being in this bar as they may have many TVs & settops they can route which they want to whichever TVs via simple remote. I use a 8x4 from Video Storm but there is another good one for 8x8.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/88shcovidiau.html

Another thought (add-on) that I've used in the past is a component splitter. This way if he had more of a sports bar and wanted to broadcast same output to mutliple TVs at 150ft+ runs.

http://www.cable-electronics.com/Product5.aspx

Anyway, just for FYI.

14. dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    I'm no expert, but I'm using a 35 foot cable from monoprice that works great and I did some research before I bought it. The HDMI standard doesn't specify a maximum cable length. See http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#q7_1 for more details. According to this site, 10 meters is typical for most of the standards testing. A few months back when I did the research it seemed that 15 meters of a good quality cable was expected to just work. Longer than that required a booster.

I never read up on optical, but I'd suspect that once you converted the signal to optical you could have some really super long runs with that. In a commercial environment that might be preferable.

-steve

15. HaRrrgh20!

HaRrrgh20! Legend

Jan 22, 2007
    I wanted to do a 75-100' HDMI run, but decided on component + audio instead and it works fine. Cables were pretty reasonable on Monoprice, I just used a bigger drill bit.

16. puffnstuff

puffnstuff Icon

Sep 2, 2006
    Thank you very much . The TV's are kinda out of the way and used on poker nights . Also only one run that long is required . I think I'm just going to go with 2 50 foot with an equalizer . If it doesn,t work we will work it out later . But once again thank all of you very much . I never get let down by DBS .

17. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    100' HDMI? Can you say signal loss? :lol:

18. bigbenny13

bigbenny13 AllStar

Jul 22, 2007
    You may also want to try a balun. It converts audio and or video into cat 5 and then back again. Most are rated as lossless up to 100 meters. Try Gefen and keydigital for hdmi or comp video and niles audio for comp video. I actually do this stuff for a living and I have not seen a problem with HDMI untill about 50ft. I do however beleive in using at least a decent quality cable as to cut down on induced video noise on runs over 15ft feet, obviously the size of the set will determine how much of differnce you will see.

19. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    easiest to insure that the picture quality will be ok is to go component

1) in a commercial environment you don't want "iffy"
    2) after 2 beers (it's a bar) .. no one will care about any minor differences between HDMI and component

20. puffnstuff

puffnstuff Icon

Sep 2, 2006
    #2 is exactly right !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.