1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100 Reasons to Jailbreak Your iPhone (2012)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Nick, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    When it comes to apps, Apple’s walled garden is quite large and it offers most of what you might want. But there’s also a vast world of possible things for you to do with it outside the garden – once you’ve jailbroken your iPhone and escaped Apple’s control.

[YOUTUBEHD]fZoqW-GEdQM[/YOUTUBEHD]

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But don't be surprised if you get your work email on it, then get kicked out :)

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I don't have to "work", but thanks a bunch anywho.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Only if you Apple's employee, IMO.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't mean fired or anything, but lose Activesync rights. And it wasn't directed at Nick, but a consideration that anyone who jailbreaks should keep in mind, even if the device is owned by them.

Actually it will be interesting to see the Librarian of Congress's ruling at the next DMCA exemption.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm damn serious if you're working for Apple.

7. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Jailbreaking was ruled to be legal last year as long as the phone is yours. However, you give up ALL rights for the warranties, support, etc if you jailbreak your iphone. I've read many stories about people who brick their phones because they don't know what they're doing.

On the other hand, there's a lot to be said for all the stuff you can do.

8. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Jailbreaking to do 90% of the stuff Android users take for granted. :rolleyes:

9. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    :lol:

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No doubt. I'm just talking in general. I've had to do it myself.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Jailbreaking was added as a DMCA exclusion in 2010. It's not guaranteed to be renewed. Exclusions expire after 3 years unless renewed by the Librarian.

And it should be noted, the exclusion was specific to "telephone handsets", which wouldn't include things like iPads.

12. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Don't have to work for apple for this - corporate policy at my shop is you attempt to add a BYOD or hack a corporate supplied phone you are termed, period. It is in the employement security agreement

13. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I think I'm going to jailbreak my old iPhone 3GS just to play. Seems like it would be fun.

I used to be a Pocket PC user and loved dinking around with it. Now with smartphones you really can't. You just use what they give you (Apple!)

Anybody have prefernces on which jailbreak stuff and sites to use?

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  15. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    Before the iPhone 4S, I jailbroke my iPhones so I could run MyWi which allowed me to turn the phone into a hotspot without having to get an AT&T plan for that. I also had a program that let me put stuff on the lock screen. That was the extent of what I did with the jailbreak :). I blew it off after I got the 4S because it takes too long for the jailbreaks to come out after an IOS release & I wasn't worth not being able to upgrade the IOS. However, my neice & nephew would jailbreak theirs & loved what they could do.

16. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    My daughter's 3GS is jailbroken. Maybe someday I will do my 4. Some of the things in the video are cool.

17. jdskycaster

jdskycaster Legend

Sep 1, 2008
    It's not just fun it is crucial to making any ithing completely useful. 7 ithings in our house all with untethered jailbreaks including appletv. Those displayed in the video are barely the tip of the iceberg.

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'd disagree with that, and I'm a guy that likes to play with tech. iPhones and iPads are very useful even stock. I did jailbreak my iPod to get apps, and didn't like when they charged us $20 to get things like the mail app, but they don't do that anymore.