1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000.4 failure

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by macbe, Dec 10, 2008.

1. macbe

macbe New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    question on dish1000.4,installer installed this dish when done we had great hd but had black screens on the sd channels and hbo channel 300 and no sound on the music stations. all signal strenght were above 60 percent. new wire was also used.showed the three sat.numbers with all good signals.tech kept telling him was either the wire,lnb, or reciever. he changed the lnb no change.we rehooked up the 500 and the sd&hd channels were there. so it wasn't the reciever.reason for having the 1000 installed was to get our locals in hd.any ideas why this did this since dishtech could not figure it out any help would be appreciated. This is a vip622 do we need a smart card to use the 1000.4 dish?

2. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Yes you need the new smart card or your receiver will not see 72west.

3. macbe

macbe New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    thanks for your input,just talked to another one of dishes fine tech.asked the same question again.said i need the second dish for 61.5 and the vip622 has an internal smartcard. so were still confused on what has to be needed, for this installation of the 1000.4

4. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Your question was answered correctly by Jason. The 622 needs a Smartcard of a new variety installed in the slot. DiSH Network has to send this card to you. They will at some time in the future. Maybe you can get them to do it sooner.

5. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    2nd dish for 61.5? The 1000.4 dish incorporates the 61.5W, 72W and 77W satellites into the existing 3 LNB lens. Maybe your installing technician didn't point your dish properly, or signal from 61.5W might be blocked or obscured by tree cover. Do you have no-line-of-site to 61.5 currently? Is it not showing up when you perform a check switch test on your receiver? :icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool

6. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    He is not having trouble with 61.5 on the 1000.4. He is having trouble with the MPEG4 SD channels which require the new Smartcard.

7. BatteryDude1975

BatteryDude1975 New Member

Dec 12, 2008
    A installer just finished switching me to EA. He took down my 1000.2 and put up a 1000.4 and I upgraded my 311 to a VIP612( done had a VIP722). When he was finished the new 612 got ALL the channels HD and SD, but my 722 that I have had for about a year wouldnt get the SD and afew of the HD channels. I mentioned to him about needing a new smartcard for the 722 and he didnt know what I was talking about. So he called tech support and mentioned the thing about the smartcard to him and the tech had no idea either. Well, the tech did some searching and come to find out, it DID need a new smartcard which I didnt have. The installer didnt have a new 722 on his truck so the tech said that they would sent me a new 722 in three days with the smartcard in it. All ill have to do is hook it up and call them to activate it, and of course sent my old 722 back to them. My installer was great, it wasnt his fault, it just shows how dumb Dish is sometimes. They obvisously dont train there installers and techs about new egiupment. The installer even told me that when the 1000.4 dish came out that they were handed the new stuff and said here you go. So hopefully ill get the new 722 in a few days and everything will be back to normal.

8. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    You should not have to get a new 722 to rectify this problem. All you need is a purple smart card!

Why give up your current 722, after all you probably have the hard drive full of recordings that you paid a DVR fee to be able to save. Unless you have an external HD to store your current recordings, and then I'm not sure if you can view those recordings on a different 722 (the encryption on the recordings prevent you from moving the HD to another DVR even if it's the same model).

9. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I am going to go an make a wild assumption, that this could be an issue because at the moment 1000.4's are scheduled only to go to new customers which means that when installed the customer gets a new receiver with the purple card already present. I don't think that Dish has an existing customer program yet which means the CSR's probably don't have a way to order the purple card setup in their systems yet.

Now it is said that Dish has started mailing out the new purple cards to customers in select geographic areas which I am guessing align with areas scheduled to need a 1000.4 for locals first.

So under those assumptions I can understand why the CSR's don't know what to do. The DNSC group should be following their facts blasts and only install 1000.4 as prescribed at the moment.

But everything I just said is personal assumption and I could be way wrong. But it does seem to me, after many years of being a staffer on this website and other places, that people are impatient and want the latest and greatest. Also guys in general don't like to read the instructions.... do we.... :rolleyes: :grin:

10. BatteryDude1975

Dec 12, 2008
    The installer asked the tech when I would receive my smartcard. He had no idea and could not just sent me one, since each card is made with certain numbers on them to match your peticular receiver. As for recordings on my current 722, its mainly stuff thats been on it for a year. If I havent watched it yet then I guess im not to worried about them. I mainly record shows through the week and then watch them on the weekend.

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    1000.4 dishes are supposed to be installed for NEW customers ONLY, for just this reason. Fortunately, you're an understanding, reasonable customer, but many times an installer who isn't trained properly, or who just doesn't follow the rules, will do something like this and really screw himself and the customer.

Ultimately, you're better off with the 1000.4 dish where you are, so once you get this sorted out, you'll be fine and better off. But by giving you a 1000.4, the installer did exactly what Dish is trying to prevent, which is that they forced Dish to have to replace your receiver. Replacing receivers is expensive, and Dish doesn't want or need to be replacing them for this reason.

Hopefully your installer learns from this or gets some training soon, because if not, he's going to create some havoc, and cost Dish some money.

12. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Just an FYI about the purple cards and 622/722's (and probably other models too) currently installed.

They are rolling out purple cards to existing receivers in small batches. For those of you having receivers without a smartcard, be patient they will eventually get to you. When they do you will get new cards for every receiver currently activated on your account. I got mine late last month.

Once you get your purple card(s) you can go ahead and upgrade to a 1000.4. For those of us in the eastern half of the U.S. it's a great 1-dish solution. In my DMA, for example, the 1000.2's were installed long before the HD locals came online. When they finaly did they were put on 61.5. Fortunatley for me I already had a 61.5 dish (for Sky Angel) so I was ready to go when my HD locals came online. I still see many 1000.2's in the neighborhood with no 2nd dish for 61.5. At least in my neighborhood the OTA signals are strong (I'm in the antenna farm), but for those in the outlying areas the 1000.2's need to be replaced or at the very least have a 2nd dish for 61.5.

13. BatteryDude1975

Dec 12, 2008
    My installer forced Dish to do nothing. I called Dish a week ago and had the 1000.4 upgrade setup with them. I had to upgrade my 311 to a VIP612 to do so,but I was going to do that anyway. It was on my installers work order to put up the 1000.4 , it wasnt his idea. Dish knew exactly what I had and what I needed, so Dish forced themselves to give me a new 722, which is fine with me. If Dish didnt want to upgrade everyone to a 1000.4 right now then they should have uplinked locals to not only 77 but also to 110,119, or 129. Not everyone can have two dishes on their roof. I dont blame the installer for not knowing, I blame Dish for not training their workers. The installer I believe said that he had been doing this for 3 years, so he was pretty knowlegable.

14. dishlover2

dishlover2 Legend

Aug 23, 2008
    I have the 612 vip no smart card for that model i think that has to do with leased equipment purchased means smart card i believe

15. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The ViP612 has the correct "purple smart card" on the motherboard, only receivers manufactured before Dish began the change to the purple smart card need the new card to be inserted in their card slot.

If you have an older receiver (all 622's and many 722's) it will need a new smart card in order to see all the channels on EA.

The confusion about a second dish for 61.5 is because you have jumped the gun and gotten a D1000.4 before EA was opened up to all subs. Ordinarily you would have a D500 for 110/119 and a wing dish for 61.5 and that setup would not require the purple smart card to receive all channels, but you rD1000.4 sees 72.7 and 77 sats which are using the new channel encryption algorythm.

You will have to wait for Dish to send you your new card for the old receiver.

There is nothing wrong with the receiver and it does NOT need to be replaced.

16. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    The smart card has nothing to do with leased vs purchased receivers. All receivers will need the 3rd generation smart card soon, when E* shuts down the 2nd generation encryption. This all has to do with the 2nd generation card being hacked and the "key" released to the public by the hacker.

Receivers with no card in the slot may or may not need a new purple card. E* knows which recievers are out there and will send out the new cards where needed.