1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000.4 Install Questions

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Bad Bimr, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Bad Bimr

Bad Bimr New Member

Mar 3, 2016
    York, PA
    Hello all, new to the forum. Been reading for a while but need some help.

I am located in PA. I have a 1000.4 Eastern Arc (EA) dish. Had some work (siding) done and the contractor removed the dish to complete the work. Not wanting to put the dish at the same location I decided to move it. Although it is a 1000.4 EA the original installer had it pointing to 110 and maybe 119 as well (not sure). Is it possible to point to 110 and 119 on the EA LNB? The skew and elevation were set as if it were to be pointed to 61.5, 72.5 and 77.

Anyways I tried to get this thing to 72.5 with ZERO luck. I have some trees that may be the issue but I cannot get anything. Can I get these sats at my location?

Today I decided to point it at 110. Using a OTM 500.3 meter I got a perfect lock on 119 but can't get 110. I did not adjust anything on the dish but the elevation (skew stayed the same -4 degress).

Don't know what I am doing wrong. Any help will be appreciated.

I have an older dish 500 laying around might just put that on up if it will may it easier.

Thanks

BB

2. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Call DISH and set up an install 800-333-3474. Does your 3 meter dish have a skew setting?

3. Bad Bimr

Bad Bimr New Member

Mar 3, 2016
    York, PA
    I called my local installer and he said they can't come out to at least next week. I was also told that there would be a charge, anywhere from $100-$150 to re-install the the dish. Looking to save a few dollars and learn to boot.

The 1000.4 skew was set to -4 degress or 86. This is what the instructions call for this dish when pointing to 61.5, 72.5 and 77. Like I said that is how it was installed before but pointing to 110. Don't know why the installer used an Eastern Arc LNB and pointed it to the Western Arc sats.
    Thanks

BB

4. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    If the skew and elevation were set for the eastern arc birds, there's no way the 16 degree elevation difference (central PA) would let that dish see any western arc bird. The skew and LNB spacing differences would also make multiple WA satellite reception unlikely, even if they could be seen. If you have a location with EA visibility, I would put the dish there and aim it for the EA.

5. oldsmobileglory

oldsmobileglory New Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Your 1000.4 is outdated, Dish seldom uses 77 satellite unless you receive Dish Latino programming. With a 1000.4 its impossible just to aim it at EA and get a passing signal. You might lock on 72 with the 61.5 eye. Its not gonna work out good for yourself. You probably can slice your fingers off with the heavy dish. The 1000.2 is much lighter and better. Have a technician come out and install a 1000.2 EA. Call Dish and add the protection plan and say your signal is out. That should only be $15 to fix it. If they give your a big beef, threaten to cancel and should not have to pay a huge amount of money. When the tech comes out, they will bring your system up to code. The signal on the 1000.2 is higher than the 1000.4.

6. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    In my opinion and experience, the 1000.4 EA is easier to dial in than the 1000.2 if you know what you're doing. The fine tuning features that are lacking on the 1000.2 work very well, and aligning to 72.7 is really quite easy with a couple of bits of aluminum foil in hand. My portable tripod mounted 1000.4 gets set up and aimed as frequently as daily, often with the EA triple LNBF installed since the higher elevation often makes it easier to get a clear view over the trees or other obstructions as we move from campground to campground with our RV. My typical setup time including setting up, anchoring, and leveling the tripod, as well as aiming the dish, is under 15 minutes. After the first few times of setting up the 1000.4, I gave away our 1000.2. The weight difference is inconsequential. We move too often to make any direct signal level comparisons, but my over all impression has been that we see less rain fade with the larger 1000.4 and seems to flex less in high winds. I already have the parts on hand to convert the 1000.4 to accept the new hybrid LNBF when we're ready to upgrade to an H3.

1 person likes this.