1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

103(b) Transponder 22 in SoCal?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by DirecTVHDFan, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirecTVHDFan

DirecTVHDFan AllStar

Oct 12, 2007
    I wanted to get some opinions from all of you out there because I think there is something weird going on with Transponder 22 in SoCal.

First of all is Transponder 22 a spotbeam? Because if it is then that would explain why the signal is so low from only that Transponder.

All of my other transponders coming from 103b are above 80 and looking pretty consistent on both of my boxes. Where it gets weird is that my HR20-700 shows TP22 with signal strenghts of 41 on both tuners, while my H20-100 shows a stronger signal of 54 for TP22. Additionally, TP22 on the H20-100 will drop to 0 on what seems to be a random basis and last for as long as it wants...sometimes a couple seconds and as long as hours.

Also the fluctuations with Transponder 22 seem to have a direct effect on the signal for CNBC-HD only and no other channel. Sometimes this channel works and other times it does not based on what is going on with TP22.

Any suggestions, advice, or comments would be appreciated...Thanks!

2. bobser

bobser Cool Member

May 22, 2007
    I'm also in the Inland Empire (Chino Hills) and here are my current 103b readings on an H20-600 (under cloudy conditions) for comparison purposes with your situation (TP 1-14, 17,22):

82,85,75,78,83,82,75,76 (TP 1-8)
    85,82,80,78,85,87 (TP 9-14)
    82,77 (TP 17,22)

As a data point for you, I have not seen the disparity in TP22 that you've been seeing lately nor have I ever seen it drop to 0. As you can see, I have a few TPs in the mid to upper 70s (including TP22). I do remember that when the HD channels first lit up, this TP was always the lowest for me (have seen it in the low 60s back then), but over the last few weeks, I have never see it lower than 73 or so (in the same range as my other lower TPs).

I don't watch CNNHD (have seen another post indicating it's on TP22) enough to really comment on any issues with that specific channel. Hope this info helps - appears you could have a flaky LNB?

3. bobser

bobser Cool Member

May 22, 2007
    One more data point on TP22 - just checked the levels on my 2-H20s and my HR20 - the strength readings ranged from 65-69 now on TP22 (with the other TP levels about equal or a bit higher than my previous post).

So, my earlier conclusion about TP22 levels for me the last few weeks being fairly constant is no longer accurate. Interesting.

4. DirecTVHDFan

DirecTVHDFan AllStar

Oct 12, 2007
    Funny thing about that is TP22 has been at 41 for both tuners on my HR20-700 all day long with CNBC-HD working fine. My H20-100 on the other hand had TP22 at 0 all day long and just fired up to 57 within the last half hour. CNBC-HD did not work on my H20-100 all day until now.

Looks like when yours went down mine went up? Maybe they are doing some testing that is having a weird effect on us in SoCal?

By the way my signal strengths mirror yours exactly on all the other Transponders.

5. DirecTVHDFan

DirecTVHDFan AllStar

Oct 12, 2007
    It seems like D* made some type of adjustment yesterday to semi-fix the signal coming from 103b TP22. My HR20-700 and my H20-100 both have the same signals now and last night they were at 67 and this morning they were at 63.

CNBC-HD is now working for everyone that was having that channel come up as 771 in SoCal, but it concerns me that TP22 is still below 70 when all my other transponders on 103b are at 80 or above.

I wonder why those of us in SoCal are getting such low readings on only TP22? What could cause this type of problem?

Hopefully D* continues to work on this and get that signal strength up. Looks like CNBC-HD is the only channel being broadcast over TP22 and that means that they will be adding more channels to that TP in future rollouts.

6. bobser

bobser Cool Member

May 22, 2007
    Interesting info on CNBC-HD and TP22 here in SoCal - also saw the other thread on this issue.

Another data point - Just checked one of my receivers (an H20-600) and it now showed a TP22 value of 84. Most of my other 103b TPs are currently in the high 70s to mid 80s. My lowest TPs are now TP 3 and 7, which are at 73 and 75 respectively.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.