1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

103 sat, Transponder 17 anyone?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bonscott87, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 2, 2007 #1 of 36
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I noticed this new transponder active on Wednesday. I checked again today and sure enough it's still there, 88 signal strength. So now I have the typical 1-6 as well as 17.

Anyone else getting signal on transponder 17 on 103?
    Trying to figure out if it's a new spot for Michigan or if it's CONUS type spot they are trying out to see if they can deliver a couple national channels early.

2. Mar 2, 2007 #2 of 36
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    If its CONUS I get a goose egg so far. But I do show a listing for it.

Checked on 99, normal transponders there.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. Mar 2, 2007 #3 of 36
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    It appears that transponder 17 on 103 has been activated. I get Zero signal strength from it however. My question is, are the N/A transponders not activated yet.

4. Mar 2, 2007 #4 of 36
    Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    I believe N/A are transponders that the receivers have been told are not there yet so don't check. Doesn't mean there isn't anything...

But I not expect too many more transponders from the satellites that are up there today. They start running out of broadcast power I think.

Cheers,
    Tom

5. Mar 2, 2007 #5 of 36
    bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Yep, N/A means not activated. They should all light up once the next two sats go up.

Another example is at 110 and 110. The N/A's are transponders they don't have licenses for.

So perhaps it is a spot beam after all.

6. Mar 2, 2007 #6 of 36
    Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Basically with S1 and S2's phased array, everything is a spot beam. :) Some are small, as small as .5°, IIRC. Others can be as big as CONUS.

It might be that they are playing with enlarging a spotbeam they intend to become CONUS while watching the power bus closely.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. Mar 2, 2007 #7 of 36
    bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Exactly what I was thinking. It was speculated on AVS last year that they might try to have one ubber spotbeam on 99 and another on 103, each covering half the country and this would allow them to carry a couple/few national channels. But the problem is the power consumption is great for something like that.

8. Mar 2, 2007 #8 of 36
    Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    I'm trying to understand the FCC documentation DIRECTV submitted as part of the license requests to operate a Space station. Part of those requests require engineering for many things (duh) but included are power and effective radiation for "all" the transponders. Now, a 1500 element phase array literally has thousands of combinations and if you consider the different power levels, an infinite number of "transponders". So a partial waiver request was filed saying, we can't send you everything.

So DIRECTV does the next best thing, many sample configurations, which did include some CONUS configurations. I'll try to go thru those sections some more and see if I can guess how likely they really were.

Cheers,
    Tom

9. Mar 2, 2007 #9 of 36
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Is that documentation online?

10. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes. I'm collecting the links into a couple of posts i'm trying to make about all the DIRECTV KA satellites. Hopefully this weekend.

My plan is to tell all I can gather about KA; the 6 proposed DIRECTV satellites S1/S2, D8/D9, and D10/D11; their configurations; and links to all the supporting doco. Its taking a lot longer than i expected to collate all that and find a suitable format for posting, but I should have it all soon. Good 'nuff?

BTW, I'll post in the DIRECTV General disussion forum.

Cheers,
    Tom

11. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Cool! Looking forward to it!

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    We need to establish once and for all whether or not Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2 are phased array. If they are, CONUS might be possible. If they are not, CONUS is not possible without doing an matrix of spotbeams. I wonder if this would be allowed for in their FCC permit.

My reading of the Wikipedia article is that the satellites were converted from phased array to bent pipe when they were repurposed for DBS use.

Obviously, any information about the configuration that predates the change in application is highly suspect.

13. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    I can answer a bit of that with certainty. Bent pipe is not a transponder technology but refers to a mode of operation for uplink to downlink. I think that originally, S1 and S2 where to operate primarily in onboard processing mode whereby it deconstructed the data onboard, routed it accordingly and sent it down to the right place but I very well might be wrong. That is part of my delay in posting what I think I know. I also think they added or further tested the bent pipe mode: what goes up one uplink is exactly what goes down its corresponding downlink. No CPU or other processing of the data whatsoever. (Waveform shaping of the broadcast signal yes, data manipulation no.)

I am fairly certain, but still am double, double checking that the primary downlink antenna is the phased array. I can find no documentation that the phased array was either replaced or supplemented with TWTA or similar transponder amplifier technology. But I am still checking, so please don't take this as my contention that this is what really is. :)

And I completely agree, Harsh, so I'm trying to find as much documentation before and after the conversion announcement to have a better understanding of the before/after picture. And I'll try to find a meaningful way to present all that.

Cheers,
    Tom

14. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    BTW, further compounding the issues is that when the original requests were presented S1 and S2, I THINK, were meant to be two satellites each. I know they were originally based on the boeing 601 bus. As the requests moved thru the FCC boeings 702 was produced, launch vehicles were capable of the extra weight of the 702, and so the two became one (or 4 became 2.)

So i'm chasing that thought path to make sure I'm not confusing one modification request with what I think is the Hughes to DIRECTV group changes.

Cheers,
    Tom

15. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    98 signal strength here.

16. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    In Chicago and I have X-ponders 1-3-5 all at 90.

17 is active but has 0.

17. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    103-17 is active at 0 here (NY)

18. GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV Godfather

Jan 1, 2006
    Active, but zero signal in Las Vegas.

19. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Transponders 2 & 6 at 100 here
    Transponders 1,3,4,5 & 17 at 0 here

20. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    Mid to East Coast line seems like where it's being focused. Odd that NY didn't see it as Michigan is near the same line. Maybe too far East? A few people getting new locals? Aren't the locals on 99? I guess it wouldn't matter right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.