1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

103B signal strength

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Bobwhite, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobwhite

Bobwhite AllStar

Nov 29, 2006
    I think I'm getting the run around from directech, but wanted to double check before I make some more calls. All my other satellite's top out in the mid 90's for signal strenght, except the 103(b) which tops out at 60. So what happens is I get a gray screen followed by a 3-4 second delay before it will tune in the new channels, even when switching from one hd channel to the other.

Directech is telling me that directv is moving things around, blah, blah, blah. I say B.S., I need a reallignment.

Comments please oh great ones

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I don't think 60 is the tops for 103(b) in your area. I could be mistaken but I've seen folks in the upper northeast getting 80's and 90's with a properly-peaked dish. In the mid-south I certainly do but I'm at a lower latitude and thus have my dish pointed at a higher elevation, so there's a little less atmosphere for the signals to travel through.

That said, a 3 - 4 second delay on the new HD channels seems to be common - they are in a different frequency band and your B-Band Converter and receiver have to work together to make the channel accessible. These are the first channels where this has had to occur for them to be watchable, but it is completely normal.

3. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    You might also check to see whether your box is set to Native "on" or "off". When Native is set to "on", it often takes a bit longer for the channel change to "take effect".

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006

Agree. 60s is somewhat low, should be at least 80s if the dish is correctly aligned.

5. Inches

Inches Godfather

Jan 5, 2005
    Yes, the 60's are low but watchable on a clear day. However, on a cloudy or rainy day they will go lower. Now I am overcast and have mid 80's to low 90's. I'd wait for others in your area to report. Due to the wavelength of Ka the aiming of the dish is more critical than Ku.

I have been toying with the idea of getting my own meter and avoid the BS of trying to get someone out.

Check out this posting http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=101523

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    My advice - you can do better than 60. Get a realignment, you should get 70s and 80s minimum. Just make sure you check all satellites after they align. It would be a shame if you lost a different satellite by mistake.

7. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Don't know where in the Northeast you are but I get 90s on all from CT.
    I did get 60's on 103b until I found all the splitters and other junk left on my cables from the dish - seems as if with every install the installers added rather than fixed the cable runs. But is sounds like my guy did a great aiming job.

8. Skins Fan

Skins Fan Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    My odds are 88's, some 90's, the evens are high 70's. I expect to get better with a new dish install and alignment in a couple of weeks. My son is practically next door and he is getting top 90's on all 103b tsps. You could call *D and tell them you get a 771 message (searching for signal) off and on when viewing some of the new HD channels. You might even try telling them the tech could not align your dish for the 103b because it was not available when they installed your dish.

9. run2lax

run2lax AllStar

Aug 24, 2007

Directech are bofoons, try and get DTV to amke them send one of their subs out, that's what I did. Thye are generally much more competent and willing to help. Then if you can afford it make a deal with the guy and just pay him 100 out of pocket to come fix your stuff if you ever have a problem. It's much easier.

10. Skins Fan

Skins Fan Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    Don't know how you are calling in but try going through all the prompts for a technical problem. The prompt will ask you to try a number of things. Just respond to the prompt that it didn't work and at the end you will be sent to a "tech rep". You will probably have better luck than talking to a regular CSR. Be nice and helpful (better to use a handfull of sugar), tell them your getting intermittent low to nothing signal on the 103b and that you suspect out of alignment.

11. MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu Godfather

Mar 7, 2007
    Same issue here. Low 60s for 103(b). 20s for 99(b).

Called D* last week and was told those are normal signal strengths since nothing is broadcastingon them yet. Yeah, right. Told them people online were reporting numbers in the 90s. She insisted.

Called again on Tuesday. This time she said they would send someone out to do a realignment for a "discounted price" of $49. I insisted that it should be free, since I already paid for installation of the dish and it clearly wasn't done properly. After some back and forth, she got a supervisor to okay that as a "one time courtesy". They're coming later today.

12. patrickpiteo

patrickpiteo New Member

May 10, 2005
    Even better just press the prompt that says getting a message. Did that explained I wqas getting broken up picture and low signal on 103b. The tech is coming out tommorow.

13. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Don't worry about 99(b) unless you live in a DMA getting locals in HD and they are not coming in for you. 99(b) are signals being spot-beamed off the Spaceway 2 satellite, not national beams available for everyone. 99(a) will be more local HD spotbeams and perhaps some national beams from the Directv 11 satellite, which won't launch until early next year.

However, that said, your 60's for 103(b) will be a problem in poor weather of any kind.

14. Bobwhite

Bobwhite AllStar

Nov 29, 2006
    Thanks to all. Here's an update, and any further advice would be most helpful.

I just talked to a directech manager, and he is going to come out and check the dish alignment tomorrow. He said in Maine, 60's is normal. I'm still not sure I'm buying this. Can some other people from New England report in on their 103b signal strength? Much thanks!!!!!

15. tomcat11

tomcat11 Mentor

Aug 5, 2006
    All my sat's are strong mid to high 90's with several 100's on 101 & 99. 103b is a little lower 84 to 94. I think this about right out here on the west coast, however the last week or so I have noticed 103b TP 17 is 78 during the day and goes to 94 in the late eve. anyone notice this out here in the west?

16. Inches

Inches Godfather

Jan 5, 2005
    My TP 17 now is 95 under clear skys. When the fog comes in it goes lower.

17. Skins Fan

Skins Fan Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    I think everyone needs to be aware of the drop distance from the dish to the recvr as well. I even have to keep reminding myself that I have 105 ft of RG6 buried in the ground. The math told me the loss would be negligible (there use to be a site you could go to, google could prob find it) and it is on the 101/110/119 w/mid-high 90's. However, I am not sure what 100+ ft. may do to the higher freq 103.

18. MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu Godfather

Mar 7, 2007
    Just had D* here to realign my dish. Before he came I had 59-74 on 103(b). Now I have 59-74. He couldn't do anything. He didn't even know the new satellite or channels had launched. In fact, he insisted they hadn't and I had to tune to them. Then he futzed around on my roof to no avail. Then he wanted me to sign things that say he did everything, including a customer survey he had already marked with a "YES" for everything. Ridiculous.

19. kmill14

kmill14 Godfather

Jun 12, 2007
    Well, I get all 0's for my 103 a+b, which does not surprise me since my original installer hardly spoke english. I'll be arranging for someone to come out to my house very soon.

20. waynenm

waynenm I like this stuff.

Oct 30, 2006
    I'm peaking at 70% in clear skied New Mexico. I'm guessing this is not only an alignment issue, but something specific to the D10 satellite. All other signal strengths exceed 90%. This kind of stuff really doesn't make sense to me.
    But, my HD channels all look great, for now..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.