1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

105 local question...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by spykedvodka, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spykedvodka

spykedvodka Legend

Jan 31, 2006
    My locals are on 105... apparently the installer that installed my dad's dish never locked the signal in on 105... the channels kept loosing themselves after 20 mins or so... He never told me just thought that dish was a shitty service. then two days ago he lost his locals all together... after 1 1/2 hours of arguing with a supervisor (and her supervisor) on the phone they finally waived the repair fee for the technician since his warranty only expired 2 days ago.

this got me to thinking.. how is my signal strength for the 105 since we had the same installer install my house and his house (3 houses apart). my 105 signal strength is at 67 - 70 on average. All my other feeds that I get are at 90 - 115 depending on which transponder you put it on.

That 67 - 70 range is it low? I know it's like a lil over halfway fully locked, but will it make a difference in the quality of my signal? Is it something I should worry about and get fixed? And if I do need it fixed, do you think if I give the installer (the one who's going to my dad's house on tuesday morning, literally 3 houses up from me) $20.00 to re-aim the dish to lock that signal better he'd go for it?

2. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Unfortunatley, that is considered a goood signal for the 105. E* is working to move all the locals off of the 105, so check here:

www.ekb.dbstalk.com/19

To see if you city is being moved. Of course, if it is on the 129 right now, it's signal strength isn't too much better. As for PQ, so long as there is a lock on the signal, the PQ does not change. A 125 signal has no better PQ than a 60.

3. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    All 105 locals will be moved to 110 spotbeam soon.

4. alebowgm

alebowgm Hall Of Fame

Jun 12, 2004
    or at least that is the speculation and belief until it actually happens... plans Dish has had before for 105 has changed, it was orignally supposed to be for HD/DT stations. So we will see...

5. spykedvodka

spykedvodka Legend

Jan 31, 2006
    Thank you guys!

6. psnarula

psnarula Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    what am i looking for?

how soon? i see that the new echostar ten satellite is going to have a bunch of new spotbeams but the map that James Long posted makes it seem that baltimore and greensboro, NC will remain on 105 for the time being. any idea how long for these markets?

7. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    How soon, don't hold your breath. If you need 105 now, you are going to continue to need it for a while.

8. Chris Freeland

Mar 23, 2002
    Once E10 is finished testing at 138 and moved to 110, E* will likely start moving locals then, I suspect all or most of the 105 and 121 locals plus the split locals on the wings will be on 110 by Sumer of this year.

9. psnarula

psnarula Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    ^ wow. this "progress" is really bad for people like me who use the 105 superdish to pick up out of market locals (live in Baltimore DMA, moved to Greensboro DMA for a better JP Sports affiliate and Fox Sports Net South). i had received impressions on other threads that spotbeam would be the way of the future, but i had no idea it would be so fast. If this happens, i'll probably move to Atlanta (where the locals are CONUS) since they get FSNS and Braves games on Turner South. The only (minor) problem is that the secondary JP Sports affiliate in Atlanta is PAX and Dish doesn't carry that station.

10. redfishhunter

redfishhunter Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    Our erea moved to 129 from 105 and it stinks...elevation on the 1000 dish for this area is 32 (very low) considering the hills of N.E KY.
    And the signal on 129 not much better than 105....

11. AcuraCL

AcuraCL Godfather

Dec 12, 2005
    This is exactly what happened to me.

By then, I had OTA up, so I paid out my 1-yr (the commitment to get a free SuperDish ... woohoo), then cancelled locals.

105 has never come back in at my house.

12. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    The 129 is about 20 degrees here and the 119 is 28 degrees and we have to deal with that on a daily basis.

13. DJZMAN_999_1_USA

DJZMAN_999_1_USA Cool Member

Jul 30, 2005
    I Just Spoke To A Well-informed Person In The Technical Support Department At Dish Network And Got Some "clues" To The Direction They Are Headed. Currently , All Locals On The Wings(61.5 And 148) And The Locals That Are Solely On 105 Or 121 Are At "high Risk" To Be Moved To A Spotbeam On E-10 . The Current Locals That Are Already On The 110 Are Not Gonna Be Moved For Obvious Reasons. So Keep This In Mind As Things Progress Forward !!!

14. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Or at least any locals on the 110 or 119 that are on a conus beam.

15. Chris Freeland

Mar 23, 2002
    I suspect some of the locals currently on a conus 110 beam like Knoxville will move to a spotbeam too. Now that most of us have are own locals available to us, I would not be surprised to see Denver, Atlanta and Chicago placed on a spotbeam's on 110 too, and only offered as locals to people in those areas or out of market only for those within the spotbeam of those channels, which would leave only NYC and LA as the only available out of market locals on a National bases. Staying put does not necesarily mean staying conus, 110 conus locals could go to a spotbeam on 110, which would still be staying put.

16. psnarula

psnarula Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    knoxville's locals are CONUS? i thought NY, LA, Chicago, and Atlanta were the only four. is denver in the list too? which locals channels are currently available CONUS on 110 or 119?

17. Chris Freeland

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes, at least the last time I checked it was, not sure if it is the only 110 or 119 conus other then the Distant Net 5 or not.

18. DJZMAN_999_1_USA

DJZMAN_999_1_USA Cool Member

Jul 30, 2005
    I Am Going To Put A Lot Of You Alls Rumor To Rest... Dish Has Absolutely No Plans To Move The Locals Off Of Either Superdish Or Any Of The Current Locals That Are On A Conus Transponder On 110!!!... It Would Be Too Costly For Them . Dish Activated E-10 For 3 Reasons : 1. In Order To Get All Locals Off The Wings(61.5 And 148) And 2. To Add New Locals And 3. Have The Space Available For More Hd Channels. . That Is The Official Word I Got From Dish So All Of You Guys' Speculation Is Just That...speculation !!! I Hope This Clarifies Every Thing. Peace Out And God Bless !!!

19. sikma

sikma Godfather

Dec 11, 2003
    I'm sure Charlie talked about moving the locals off 105 & 121 in his last chat. As I understand it, the new E10 is a spotbeam satellite which is suppose to be for locals. It wouldn't be much good as an HD satellite if it's main purpose is to spot beam signals.

20. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    My local dealer said E* supplied a list of locals (now either located on 105 and 121) which will be moved (starting in April) to 110. We'll have to see whose info is correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.