1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080p

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by MikeR7, Jan 11, 2007.

1. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Anyone out there have a 1080p TV with an HD DVD or Blue Ray player? I would be interested to know if it adds that much quality to an HD picture that it would be worth paying extra for my next HD TV with that capability. I am at some point going to need to replace the old TV in the living room.

I am extrememly happy with my current 37" HD TV picture quality in 720p and 1080i. Just wondering.:)

2. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    If you get the HD DVD players, you'll have a picture better than or equal to the 720p/1080i HD TV you watch. This is a far cry from the standard 480i that DVD players use.

Consider getting a cheap upconverting DVD player. I bought a Panasonic player that upconverts up to 1080i. Looks pretty good, but not as good as a 1080i HD pic. The plus side was that it was only $94!

3. keep amonte

keep amonte Legend

Oct 1, 2002
    Most of the reading I do suggest that 1080p material viewed on a 1080p tv depends on the size of the tv and viewing distance. Meaning for instance (these are examples not calculations) one may be less likely to see a difference between 720p and 1080p at a viewing distance >6-8 feet at 50" or less or further if the tv is>60-65" YMMV!

I have a 768 elite 50" plasma that shows 720p and 1080i from my PS3 and it looks incredible! Supposedly my tv can show 1080p/24 but not the 1080p/60 that is sent from the PS3.
    If you mostly view satellite, then there is little chance we will see 1080p in the near future, hell we can barely get 720p and 1080i right now!

If you however plan on Bluray and HD-DVD that would depend on your viewing distance and size screen. I hope I have made sense!

4. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    If you can find one of Sony's retail outlets in your area, you can see the comparison first hand. Seattle has one and it's running BD with 7.1 sound on a 50" display. One of their demos shows a side by side comparison with 1080p. The detail is noticeably crisper and the colors more vibrant. I've got a 61" Sammy DLP that supports 1080p. Now I'm just waiting for a reasonably priced drive I can add to my home theater PC to take advantage of it.

John

5. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    I have a 1080P plasma and the picture is a big improvement over my 1080i plasma. The difference is noticeable. The 1080P upscales 720P or 1080i content
    from Dish, local cable or OTA. I would have to say the picture is at least 30%
    better. I do not yet have a Blu ray player. I am waiting to February to pick up the
    new LG Blu Ray/HD dual player. I would not buy another TV unless it was 1080P.
    It does not matter whether no one is broadcasting in 1080P, the picture is still
    better.

6. Chandu

Chandu Hall Of Fame

Oct 2, 2005
    It cannot possibly upscale from 1080i to 1080p. What it does is called de-interlacing. What it does from 720p to 1080p is called upscaling or up-converting.

I have a 1080p LCD too. I watched couple of InHD documentaries on it yesterday which were broadcast in 1080i, and after de-interlacing to 1080p they looked simply incredible.

7. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005

Thanks for the clarification. I will have to get the terminology correct. Whatever
    the correct terminology, the 1080P set has a far superior picture to a 720P, 768P
    or 1080i set.

8. voodoogmr

voodoogmr Cool Member

Jan 1, 2007
    I recently bought a Sony 40" 1080p LCD display. I was upgrading from a 30" CRT HDTV, so I'm sure the display technology had a lot to do with this, but it looks absolutely stunning with our Blu-ray (PS3) and HD DVD players, as well as HD via Dish and OTA.

However, viewing native 1080p on Blu-ray and the PS3 compared to the 1080i output of the HD DVD player and my Xbox 360, I just didn't see anything that made me think that 1080p was so much better. Of course, the encoding quality of Blu-ray and HD DVD discs plays a huge part in that. Still, it didn't take me long to think that 1080p is mostly just marketing hype.

Honestly though, I doubt 1080p makes a huge difference at 40". But I figured that if I was buying a new TV, I wanted it to support the native resolution of my highest-res source. The less scaling, the better, IMO.

Just make sure you buy a good quality TV. I think a high-quality 720p/1080i display will probably look better than a cheap 1080p display. Resolution isn't everything.

Oh, and I personally wouldn't spend money on an upconverting DVD player. My HD DVD player upconverts DVDs to 1080i (via HDMI) and while it does look a little sharper, I would have been disappointed if I spent money just for that. Just my opinion.

9. humara

humara Cool Member

Jan 11, 2007
    cnet just ran a review or story. can't remember the exact link. but they had a tough time seeing the difference between BD 1080p and 1080i. even side by side with identical equipment.

10. bluedogok

bluedogok Godfather

Sep 8, 2006
    I bought a Denon DVD-757 upconverting DVD player (and DVD-Audio/SACD) this weekend ($350) after getting tired of the poor performance of my cheaper Toshiba upconverting DVD player ($75.00). I have not had a 30 second layer change since and the picture quality is much improved.

I looked at getting a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD since I was almost to the HD-DVD price, but I decided to wait until the double format player comes out or there is a clear winner before buying one.

11. hazydave

hazydave Cool Member

Jan 7, 2006
    I actually do have a 1080p capable TV (Samsung 71" DLP)... I don't have the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray unit yet... let them fight it out, and I'll go with the winner. But I did view quite a bit of Blu-Ray and a little HD-DVD last fall, in the process of evaluating my upgrade TV (the Sammy replaced my 65" Mitsubishi HDTV from 2001). My initial impression: most of the Blu-Ray discs at the time (right before they got the dual-layer working) had poor encoding.

It wasn't even that easily explained by MPEG-2 and 25GB... I would put much of what I say in-between that of well encoded broadcast ATSC and typical satellite (Dish) HD. Not impressive. I don't blame Blu-Ray for that, but it's probably the rush to market. Many of the first DVDs were crappy, too.

On a set like the Sammy DLPs, you may see NO difference between a 1080i output and a 1080p output, particularly from an encoded film. Most digital displays (DLP, LCoS, LCD, Plasma) are inherently progressive, and always upconvert to progressive anyway. A good upscaler will also detect the 3:2 pulldown performed on a 1080/24p video when output at 1080/60i, and reverse it.

Things to watch out for, if you're looking at these now: what you see in the store may be a best-case. The Blu-Ray player I viewed the most, set up on a large Sony LCoS (SXRD or whatever they call it) at the local-ish Tweeter was easily showing on one of the best displays in the store (good plasma and the Samsung 5 color DLP were comparable on most material, the Mitsubishi DLPs lacked shadow detail... might just be how they were adjusted). But I digress..

12. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Legend

Jul 23, 2002
    This reminds me of the Beta vs. VHS wars in the early 1980's. I'm like you bluedogok in that I'll wait until there's a clear winner before buying either a player or any DVD's.

On that topic. I'm not really up on the HD DVD news. Does anyone have any idea who's winning the war?

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Nobody seems to be winning the war. HD DVD is still half the price of BluRay and for that reason, they remain competitive even though none of the stores push them.

Everyone seems to be taking a wait and see approach.

I don't think either of them is going to catch on until they start offering recorders.

14. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    A few weeks ago I visited a local outlet to see BluRay for myself. They had one connected to a Mitsubishi 1080P LCD that looked to be 37 - 40 inch size. Now I'm one of the harshest critics of Digital TV but I must admit it all looked very nice to me.

I have participated in many forums arguing the technical merits of 1080i vs 1080P vs 720P and what you can and cannot see at distances vs various native resolutions. I believe there was a subtle enhancement in picture quality with that particular 1080P monitor.

My advice is to stop agonizing and buy a 1080P monitor. That's what I would do if I could have waited until now for a new TV set. Be sure to check out the new Mitsubishi line.

--- CHAS

15. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    I was at a trade show in NYC not too long ago and at the Mitsubishi booth they had a 1080P DLP 65 inch running Blue Ray and it looked out of this world from 4 feet away. The price of the TV costs less than the 65 inch Mits I bought 5 years ago. it's the Blue Ray Player that I want to wait to see come down in price before I jump in on 1080P. More than likely will get a PS3 Christmas 2007

16. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    I just got the LG bh100 and played two blu ray movies on my 65" Panasonic
    and there is a noticeable difference between 1080i and 1080p.

17. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    IMO, BluRay will win this war.
    Why?
    The name.
    It's easier to say, the name has 'cool factor' also.
    Say them out loud and you'll see.

18. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    Never thought about it that way. I think you're right. Name recognition is everything in our hype oriented culture.

--- CHAS

19. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    My teenage kids kept asking me when are we getting Blu Ray? They did not know
    what HD DVD is. Blu Ray has better name recognition.

However, with the dual player, both formats may be here to stay. Some one
    else will come out with a cheaper better dual player than LG.

20. RCinFLA

RCinFLA Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    One item that makes me think Blu-Ray will win out is they are available in DVD writers now. Pricy at $1k and $20 blanks but this will drop quickly.

I remember not to long ago DVD blanks were $5 each.