1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

110 Sat gone

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mogulman, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    I was on vacation last week and came back last night. Noticed I wasn't getting ESPNHD anymore. ESPN2HD was working fine.

It looks like I'm not getting anything on the 110 Sat on both of my receivers. I have a slimline 5lnb dish that was installed this summer.

I also noticed that I wasn't getting anything on 99, although I don't think I ever got anything on 99.

It did get colder out here in CO today. Although I noticed this yesterday.

Is it possible an LNB on the dish went bad? The sky is totally clear right now. I try redoing the dish setup and now it doesn't even show any of the channels on my HR20 or H20.

It was working fine from July until now.

2. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Yes, that is certainly possible, unless there was a really fast growing tree while you were out of town. ESPN2-HD is on the 119 satellite, tp 28. If your 110 is bad, you will also still have 76 & 79, but all of the other 70's will be gone. I don't think you'll get 101, either.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If you have the "sidecar" AT9 5-LNB dish, it could be a loose or corroded connection between the two LNB assemblies.

4. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    It was buried in there; that was my first idea, too.

5. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    Yeah.. I have the slimline.

I checked all the 110 channels. Nothing on either receiver. Everything else is fine.

LNB issue? or something else? Seems like an LNB. No trees sprouted up overnight. Anything else I can try? Will dtv fix it if I call them?

6. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Well, you're past the 30 day installation warranty. Best bet, if you don't already have the so-called "Protection Plan," is to sign up for that and then schedule your service call.

It's possible the LNB actually works on 110, it's just not switching internally to the 110 when asked. Either way, you need a new LNB. If you want to physically examine it, it's the center of the three LNB devices. The big one is the 99/101/103 combo. Since you only have 2 receivers, I assume, therefore, you have no multi-switches to go bad. Just a straight shot to the dish. (?)

I assume you are getting the 103's....

7. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    yeah...straight shot no multiswitch. 103 works fine.

So. what about the equipment warranty. Does it have any kind of warranty? I don't want to pay for any kind of protection plan. I mean.. I might have a few years ago when I owned the equipment. Now that I upgraded to HD.. I'm leasing everything. I don't even own it.

8. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    how long have you had it installed....
    maybe the installer didn't tighten the cable
    for that lnb at the dish....when i first got cable internet
    the installer didn't tighten the cable in the
    wall plate & when the weather became colder
    i was having intermittent outage....i would think
    they should check that for free

9. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    They replace broken leased equipment for a $20 shipping charge, but it's "free" if you have the Protection Plan. The dish, however, requires a $70 service call w/out the PP. You'd think they could ship you a new LNB, but they won't do that.

10. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    Looked at the terms of the Protection Plan. Says it doesn't start until 1 month after signing up. So I'd have to sign up, wait a month, then either keep it or cancel it a few months later.

Can I just buy a 110 lnb for this somewhere?

11. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    No, it's a complete unit. You can find them sometimes on eBay, You could also try calling Summit Source to see if they can get their distributor, Perfect 10 Distributing, to drop ship you an LNB only.

12. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    ok.. this morning I went out and removed the LNB. Looks like it is all one big piece. Aspen Eagle Rev. 1.

I tapped on it a few times and put it back. Now 110 is working. hmm.. I'm a genius I fixed it :)

wondering how long that will last..

13. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    i bet if you unscrewed the connectors
    & cleaned with some emery cloth it woud
    last quite a while....
    glad you got it going :)

14. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    That should be fun, come winter....! ccr1958 has a point. Take it off the support arm (requires medium, long-shaft Phillips screwdriver and pliers), remove and examine the connectors, then re-tighten with a 7/16" wrench and re-assemble.

15. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    ok... stopped working again tonight, probably because it got colder. I called DTV and got the Protection Plan added. They are coming out Wed to fix.

I guess I didn't realize that with the new plan.. Receivers are leased, but I still own the dish.

16. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    They came out yesterday. Replaced the Aspen Eagle LNB with a WNC. Looks like the WNC has more covering to it (protection from the elements). Took all of 5 minutes. Everything is working now.

17. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Great! Thanks for the report.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.