1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

129 signal strength

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by jgurley, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 3, 2006 #1 of 11
    jgurley

jgurley Legend

Feb 1, 2005
    For those living in the Mid -Atlantic area, what is the highest signal I could expect from satellite 129? I live the Southwestern VA, had my 622 installed this week and although I can pick up most of the 129 channels the signals is weak (30-55) because of a tree blocking my dish. On installation day there were still a few leaves on this tree but since then most have come off and the signal strength has gone up some. I find this encouraging because it means the limbs and not the trunks are probably causing the problem which means trimming rather than cutting down the tree (I hope!).

The reason I'm looking for the highest signal in this area (I'm assuming the signal from 129 is likely to vary depending on where one lives) is that as I'm working on trimming those branches it would be good to have some signal reference so I'll know if I'm making progress and when I could stop. This tree is about 50' tall and I don't want to be on the ladder any longer than necessary.

My dish 1000 is located low on my house (easy access) and I really don't want to change this unless absolutely necessary. I get high 90s from 110 and 119.

One more question. I had a dish 500 and the installers disconnected one of the two coax cables I have and installed a separator at the 622. Is this method better, worse, or no real difference from just connecting the two existing cables have. After thinking about it some, they may have used the separator just because it's more common for new installs therefore more customary for them and they had one on the truck. Any thoughts?

2. Nov 3, 2006 #2 of 11
    Dave12345

Dave12345 New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    I have a similar condition. I have a Dish 500 pointed at 110 and 119 and when I upgraded to HD, the installer put a second dish 500 aimed at 129. It's pointed over/near a tree and I'm getting no more than an 80 signal, but it drops to 50 occasionally. I've talked to some installers and they say that 80 is about the most you can get with the 129??!??!?? I think the tree may be causing the drop.

Others on here are much more knowledgable than me on the connections, but I think with a proper switch/lnb combo, you can use a single cable connection. I had to run 2 cables to the 622 because of my switch (DP34).

Also, with the Dish 1000, what are your signal strengths on 110 and 119. I'm thinking about replacing the two 500's with the 1000, but I don't want to create more problems.

David

3. Nov 3, 2006 #3 of 11
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The signal drop on 129 is caused by the satellite wobbling around and the footprint on earth moves so you are nearer the edge.

4. Nov 3, 2006 #4 of 11
    jgurley

jgurley Legend

Feb 1, 2005
    Dave, my signal on 110 is between 80-84 depending on tp, and 95-105 on 119. With 129 the signals are from no signal on three channels and 44-59 on the others again depending on the tp.

I'm going out now to cut off a few tree limbs and will let you know what happens.

5. Nov 3, 2006 #5 of 11
    whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    How good is the SS in the SF bay area. I have a bro that lives there and was wondering how well the Dish 1000 will work for him.

6. Nov 3, 2006 #6 of 11
    Unclejeff

Unclejeff AllStar

Mar 10, 2004
    SF Bay Area Reception is good. The 129 is not as strong as the others, but very good, nevertheless.

7. Nov 3, 2006 #7 of 11
    SMosher

SMosher Godfather

Jan 16, 2006
    Here in central California

129 SS for me is a$$. We're lookig at 60-65 on a good day with nothing in the way. Sats 110-119 about 90-110.
    Sat 148 120-125.
    Sat 61.5 90-95.

8. Nov 4, 2006 #8 of 11
    RayoVac

RayoVac New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    I have the same question about the wires. I also have two wires from my 1000 to my wiring closet. However, the installers hooked up both to the dish, but then only one in the wiring closet, to my 622 which it hits a single splitter then a wire out to each connection on the 622. The 622 is the ONLY receiver in use. Is there any benefit to running two wires to the 622 from the dish and removing the splitter or will it NOT make a difference.

Thanks in advance,

9. Nov 4, 2006 #9 of 11
    SMosher

SMosher Godfather

Jan 16, 2006
    No difference at all.

10. tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather

Feb 2, 2006
    I live in NW Georgia and was able to get a signal of 84 off of 129(trans 4). I've got a clear line of site w/no obstruction. After the installer left, I couldn't help to go out and try to tweak. I gained about 4 "signal strenght points" (I guess that's what you would call it).

At a previous install location, we did have to cut some limbs. We kept trying and trying and nothing helped the signal strength. Turned out that just eyeballing/guessing what was in the way is VERY tricky. We were cutting limbs that weren't actually blocking--we were way off! To help you figure out where to cut the limbs, I would suggest making a little tool to 'view' where the beam is coming down. Here's what I devised and it helped a lot:

What you need:
    -Protractor
    -Sheet of paper
    -Level
    -Another person to help you in the last steps

What you do:
    -Use the protractor to measure/create a triangle on the paper. (Use as much of the paper as possible.) Make it so that one corner of the triangle has the same angle as the ELIVATION coordinates of the satellite.
    -Take your triangle out and get as close to the dish as possible. Have your buddy hold the level under the triangle and make it level (you know, the bubble is in the middle). Aim it, as best you can in the same azimuth direction of the dish (or, if you want to get real geeky, use a compass).
    -Kneel down so that you are looking along the edge of the triangle up into the sky. That's your line-of-site. (You can try holding it by yourself, but that's difficult because you try to look but if you move at all, so does the triangle and level--you are about back to guessing/eyeballing. If you want to see how much of a difference a few degrees makes, try moving the dish just a few degrees!)
    -Cut anything in the path.

You would be surprised how far off you might be just by trying to eyeball. The horizon and your brain can do funky things that makes us not very accurate in stuff like that.

11. jgurley

jgurley Legend

Feb 1, 2005
    tedb3rd, Thanks for the excellent reply. Now what I need to do is find out the azimuth for 129 in my area. I know it's different from 230 degrees show on "point dish", probably 240 or 245. Anyway, yours is a great suggestion which I'll do as soon as I can find a friend :) I realized I was cutting limbs and checking signal strength after each cut. One thing I noticed was minimal change in strength yesterday while cutting, but somewhat better results today. The weather here hasn't changed, very, very clear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.