1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

129 turned on for Alaska, but....

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jim Parker, May 11, 2009.

1. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    Frozen Chosen: :)
    I had a conversation with MicroCom about the new HD channels available on 129 for Alaska.

There is a one dish solution in the works that points to 119 and 129. However, the LNB for this 30" dish is not available yet. There is no word yet on when it will be available. They just got back this morning from a conference and have not had time to actually try it yet.

I left my phone # and they are going to call me as info developes.

Another point came up: If I point my 6' dish to 129, I should be able to pick up the conus signals in addition to the Alaska spot beams. I'll give this a try and see what I can get. If anybody in Alaska has done this recently (I seem to remember this being discussed some months ago on another web site), did Dish authorize the channels?
    Jim Parker

2. naptime

naptime Cool Member

Mar 11, 2006
    I talked to Microcom in Fairbanks a couple of hours ago and he said rollout for new AK HD package was in two days, the 13th. But then he confused me by mentioning the new two-satellite dish option that was coming, but then telling me I needed a 1.8m dish for 129º. So I guess he meant for CONUS reception? I get everything off of 110º with a 32" dish.

Are all the new HD channels on spots for Alaska? Do they intend to keep them spread out over 110º and 129º? And what's with the Fairbanks locals on 148º? Is this an interim solution?

3. redsalmon

redsalmon AllStar

Oct 16, 2006
    I swung my 6' dish over two weeks ago. Great signal on 129. All the conus signals on my 622 read between 31 and 52 on the new scale. Of course the spots boom on thru.

receiver: 622
    dish: 6' for 129, (also 30" for 110, and 1m for 119)
    area: 99669 (Soldotna AK)
    date: May 4, 2009
    weather: clear

05=86 spotbeam
    07=90 "
    08=87 "
    09=75 "
    10=93 "
    12=87 "
    17=39
    18=35
    19=39
    20=31
    21=52
    22=31
    23=38
    24=32
    25=39
    26=30
    27=39
    28=31
    29=39
    30=31
    31=39
    32=52

Nothing to authorize from Dish for channels. Just picked up the extra ones authorized in you basic programing. In my case, got all the extra movie channels that weren't avail. before. Lot's of red in the schedule now due to the channels that aren't avail right now. To get lot's more would probably have to add HD gold. Waiting to see what the new package looks like before I try to add it.

4. redsalmon

redsalmon AllStar

Oct 16, 2006
    With the strength of the spots on 129 probably a 30" dish would work. I think for the CONUS tp's you will need a 6'. (Notice my readings above). I think both 110 and 129 will be used for spots since they can use spots and get more channels into the area. Of course there is some national HD on 110. I use a 30" for 110 with no problem. Two Anchorage HD's are uplinked to 129 also and my receiver picks them up almost constantly, even though they are also on 110. Probably something to do with the switch matrix selecting the strongest signal.

5. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    Thanks for the info Red. I think I am going to play with the 6' this weekend. It looks like 10 is good transponder to set the receiver to while I'm looking for the signal.

I have an unused 36" dish that I might mount on the roof. I would like to point the 6' at 129 to get the extra premium HD movie (I have the America Everything Package). I'll leave the 48" pointed at 119 and point the 36" at 110.

How do you have your switches configured with 3 dishes? I have one SW44 now.

One thing I did find out was that Dish is going to raise the cost of the Alaska HD package by $5 (to $15) if any change is made by the customer to any programing- add or delete any channel and the price goes up. Oh well, the extra HD channels are worth $5/month to me.

6. redsalmon

redsalmon AllStar

Oct 16, 2006
    Isn't a sw44 a legacy switch? There have been threads at the other site of legacy not working with 129. I have a DPP33 switch with dp dual LNB's. The signals come thru great and the check switch is done in no time.

Where did you here about a $5.00 increase in price? According to the other site the AK HD package runs $10 and no mention of additional charge, seems like it replaces the Package we have now. ref the thread below.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/174581-may-12-2009-retailer-chat-screen-shots.html

Of course your information could be right, guess we'll find out tomorrow. :grin: I'll post another reply and let you know how the programing looks after the change over.

7. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    The $5 info was from Microcomm. It's no big deal to me.

The SW44 is a legacy. I wonder if I will have to replace the LNBs as well. Thanks for the heads up.

8. redsalmon

redsalmon AllStar

Oct 16, 2006

If I remember reading right, a DPP switch will only work with Dish Pro LNB,s.

Look at your account on the Dish Network site and look at the package you have. Mine changed names today to indicate the new package name.

Go to the Dish network site. On the top banner click on packages, click on AK/HI. Click on HI, under the aloha banner click on the first blue line that says click here to see the newly expanded HD list. Their they are! :D

9. naptime

naptime Cool Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Just talked to Microcom in Fairbanks again, and they said per an email yesterday that Alaskan customers need to go through Dish for an HD upgrade, which I told her was the exact opposite of what Dish has been telling me for a few years now (about any upgrade). So I called Dish, and the tech support fellow said that I was eligible for a free upgrade to a 622 receiver including a new dish installation. The 722 was available for a $125 additional charge. I told him I would like some confirmation other than his say-so that this offer was valid in Alaska but that didn't get far, so I didn't place the order. He also couldn't specify exactly what dish/dishes would be installed. I would need to do some research on the receivers anyway as I am not current on Dish's HD equipment.

10. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    Progress report:
    I talked to Dish yesterday about getting the Alaska Package for 129. Of course the computer would not let her sign up an Alaskan subscriber to the full HD package, so it remains to be seen just what channels I will get. Microcom was not open, so she could not set up an installation time - she will on Monday and get back to me.

My first thought was to rotate my 6' dish from 110 to 129, but ran into 2 problems. The mounting bracket is going to hit the roof if I rotate it and it looks like 129 is behind a tree. So, I added a new bracket and set an unused 1 meter dish on it. I don't have an extra LNB, so I will have to wait for Microcom to finish the install.

The standard installation is now a 30" dish that sees both 119 and 129, but since I have a 4' dish looking at 119, I prefer not to drop down to a smaller size due to signal strength issues.

I have legacy switches and LNB, so I need 6 inputs, but only have 4 on the SW44 switch. However, Dish will provide the upgrade to Dish Pro for no charge if I make a 2 year commitment. That's a no brainer for me, so I'll do it. There may be one problem: the mounting assembly for the LNB is different on the large dishes than the small dishes and the guy at Microcom was not sure exactly how they would mount. If all else fails, adding 2 SW21 switches in combination with the SW44 will work.

After I get this all hooked up, I'll see what I channels I get from 129. If the conus is there (not red in the guide) but just weak, I'll swap the 1 meter dish for a larger dish.

What I really want out of this is the premium movie channels - the Starz channels and the rest of the HBO and Showtime channels. Whatever backroom deal Dish made that gives us the Weather Channel (on both 110 and 129!), the Food network and the Cartoon Channel in HD but not 5 Star Max, Starz HD, Showtime 2 or HBO 2 is doing a big disservice to us customers. :nono2:

11. redsalmon

redsalmon AllStar

Oct 16, 2006
    I use a 30" dish for 119 with no problem. I think the only way to receive the premiums from 129 is with a 6' dish, see my signal levels in the post above. A DP LNB will fit where the legacy LNB was. My installer just took off the plastic cover, it just snaps apart, and the LNB neck inside is the same size as the old LNB, and mounts the same as the old LNB did. Mine works just fine.

12. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I know it's OT. But can you guys in AK maybe post some pics of your setups. Just interested in your dishes.

13. redsalmon

redsalmon AllStar

Oct 16, 2006

Here are my dishes. 6' for 129, 1 meter for 119, and 30" for 110. The 4' one on the right is for Starband internet.

064.jpg

14. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Awesome. Anyone else with neat setups:D

15. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    Thanks Red. The info on how to mount the LNB was what I was looking for. Microcom is scheduled to come by on Thursday, I'll see what kind of deal I can make for a larger dish to look at 129. Microcom had been good to work with.

My installation is anything but standard, so I did my own installation. (I'm an electrical engineer in the construction industry)

As you can see from the second photo, I am looking thru a hole in the trees, so I had to mount my dishes on the roof. Notice the bracing behind the 6' and 4' dishes. The weather patterns blow storms up from the Gulf of Alaska, thru a valley in the mountains, thru the hole in the trees and hit the dishes straight on. 30 to 50 mph winds are very common. It may not be pretty, but it's stout. I mounted the 6' and 4' on the roof before I built the the deck and the set of stairs that leads up to the deck. Getting the 6' on the roof by myself was not easy.

Attached Files:

16. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    Red
    Can you clarify for me?

"In my case, got all the extra movie channels that weren't avail. before."

Which movie channels are you referring to?

I have the Americas Everything Package, which includes all of the HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinimax, etc channels.

I would gladly upgrade to what ever package it takes to get all of the HD channels off of 129, but Dish is telling Microcom that Alaska will not be authorized to get the conus channels even if the customer has a big enough dish and can get the signals. Jeeze, I'm trying to give them more money and they won't take it? :confused:

17. redsalmon

redsalmon AllStar

Oct 16, 2006
    The HD movie channels off of 129 include all the HBO channels, E, 2E, SG, W, FM, CY,Z: Cinemax, MAX,W, 5-MAX,: SHOE, SHOTO, SHOCS: TMC-E, ENCOR, STARZ, STARZW, SEDGE, STZC, SK&FM. I think I got them all. I agree that I would like to go with the national gold HD, but can't get them to let us have it. They sure liked my money 10 years ago when we had to have a 6 ft. dish just to get sd off of 119. :rolleyes:

18. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    Dish is telling me that I can't get those HD channels you listed. They are not part of the Alaska package, and the receiver will not be authorized to get them.

I looked at rotating the 6' dish last night, and there are about a dozen trees in the way. I'd have to move the mount for the 6' to another location, which is not a simple thing to do.

Decisions, decisions.

I think I will have the 1.2 meter pointed to 129 for now and move the 6' later when I have time on a weekend. I don't mind doing the work and it should not cost more than $20 or $30 for misc hardware.

19. redsalmon

redsalmon AllStar

Oct 16, 2006
    I just checked again and I still receive HD channels 300-356 with all the channels I listed. They are part of the Americas everything package and I don't know why we wouldn't get them. You won't with a small dish, but with a 6' all the transponders come in fine, as listed in my previous post. Maybe we shouldn't tell them we get them or they will figure out some way to screw us out of them..:nono2:

20. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    My 1.2m dish is now pointed at 129 and receiving channels. :)

As Red predicted, it will not lock on to the conus transponders, so I will swap the 6' and the 1.2m dishes this weekend to point the 6' at 129.

I see a problem for the AK (and probably the HI) subscribers without large dishes: the conus channels show up in the guide. If that channel is selected, the receiver tries to tune it in and a dialog box pops up that it is looking for the satellite. Nothing can be done until the box clears that dialog box and displays the next box which states that the signal has been lost. The result of this is that there is a 10 or 15 second wait before a different channel can be selected.

The obvious work around is to set up a favorites list that does not have the conus channels, but if Dish gets a lot of complaints, they may change the AK/HI package to delete the conus channels from our guides. If Dish does this, that will totally screw everybody with a larger dish. Let's hope this never happens.