1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

1H and 3J, can a Joey w/ ethernet feed Internet via MoCA?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by jimbo78255, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jimbo78255

jimbo78255 New Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I have 3 Joeys running off 1 Hopper. Only one of the Joeys is really easy to connect to my ethernet and it seems to be working fine (IP address, etc). My Home network can 'see' all 3J and 1H, but some of the functions on the Hopper say something like 'you need an Internet connection for this to work'.

I have not found any kind of FAQ that illustrates my configuration or weather it will work?

One thing I have considered is to put a WIFI adapter on the Hopper, but would prefer to put my own on ratehr than buy a Dish version, so which brand might work without driver problems, etc?

TIA

2. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The only wireless adapter that will work is the Netgear WNDA3100v2 which IS the one that DISH sells.

3. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    Go to the broadband menu and select moca and then hit the blue key 2x. Select bridging, enable and save. That will pass the full IP to the Joey and then they will have full access to the apps. Then you will no longer need the Joey Ethernet connection.

4. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    The proper way to do it is to purchase a HIC (Hopper Internet Connector). It's a bridge device that can plug into the coax line between the Joey and the wall, and will connect the entire Hopper network to the ethernet network you plug into it.

5. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    That is not the proper way to do it. Bridging through the hopper is the preferred connection method. Adding a HIC just adds another possible fail point.

6. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    He's not plugging the ethernet to the Hopper - he's plugging it in the Joey. I don't think bridging will allow the Joey to pass the IP to the Hopper. A HIC is the best way to connect ethernet to a H/J system in his situation.

7. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Make sure on the front of your Hopper it does not say Hopper with Sling if it does the WiFi adaptor is built into the DVR.;)

Welcome to the Forum!:welcome_s

8. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Correct, in the case where a hopper is not near the router, but there is a Joey, the HIC would be the best method. Or even if there is only a coax line there that can be integrated.