1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2,3,or 4 orange lites a day from Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by o7RAVENS, Jul 12, 2010.

1. o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    For about 2 weeks now I have been getting these orange lites on my dvr. (HR20 700)Not the recording lite but the other lite from directv. the one when they send out updates. They last from about `10 sec to 40 sec, no pattern to them. They don't interrupt anything, no special time of day, they come and go at random. What's up with this? I hope it's not a sign of my dvr going bad. I have noticed it takes longer to change channels.
    thanks in advance

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It may be your DVR trying to call home (D*) on the phone line. Is your DVR passing the phone line check, when you do Info and Test?

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Do a menu restart and see if it still happens.

4. o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    I did the red button reset a couple of weeks ago and it did not help. I will try and do it again.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    And lite is not the correct spelling it's LIGHT.

6. o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    PS I will also do Info & Test. thanks

7. o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    Thanks boba, my bad, that's what happens when you turn 80. May I say (now I see the light)

8. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I have a refurbished HR20-700 sent to me as a replacement. Often at exactly 3 minutes past the hour a light flashes very briefly. I've thought it was the recording light but now maybe it is another light and I have mistakenly set it up to try to phone home using landline but it is not connected to a phone line. Will have to check settings. ;)

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Exactly which light is flashing? The second one from the left, right? Just asking!
    The only orange one on the HR20s is the record light.

I've never seen this happen on my HR20-100 and the record light on my HR23-700 is red.

Maybe a pull the plug restart could help. Do a menu restart and when all of the lights turn off pull the plug for 10 minutes or so. Plug it in and see if that makes a difference.

10. Jon J

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I've never actually been focused on the buttons when it happens but I think it is the second from left button. The record light on my HR20 is orange and I think the light I see flashing for half a second is also orange. Color me very confused. ;)

11. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Does no one on this board respect their elders? :rolleyes:

12. Jon J

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    No, but some can certainly cause a part of your anatomy to feel exhausted. ;)

13. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    Directv is trying to poll your receiver or receivers, you likely have more than one and no internet/phone connection. Nothing wrong with your receivers other than directv wants to know where they are. Plug them into your phone line or connect them to internet and the light will stop after they get a call back.

14. o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    upmichigan, you might be right, I did the Info&Test as previous poster Hasan suggested, and it said we cannot find your internet connection and indicated a Diagnostic Code 71-286. I guess I will live with no harm no foul.