1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(2) Directv HR's and Blueray hookup

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Hornnumb2, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Ok I have to HR's hooked up in my main room now, both hdmi output to receiver. My receiver only has 2 hdmi inputs and I have a blueray player on the way. What is the best way to get all this hooked up, plenty of other inputs but just 2 hdmi's..Thanks Michael

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I suggest a new receiver if you can afford one. BluRay's TrueHD/DTS/etc audio over HDMI is worth it.

3. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you don't want to spend a lot for a new receiver, you could get one of these. I got the one for 99.99 (because I needed Toslink switching as well) and its works great. If you do order one, make sure you get some extra cables at the same time.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Since D* doesn't (and won't) have lossless audio, there's really no reason to use HDMI via your receiver.

I'd hook the D* boxes up to the TV via HDMI and to the a/v receiver via optical. Then run your BD player via HDMI through the receiver (assuming your TV has 3 HDMI's). Not only will this allow you to have lossless audio via your BD player, but you'll also be able to calibrate each source on your display.

5. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Right now everything runs through the receiver then one hdmi lead to tv. Could I hook one HR box up a different way and use the 2 hdmi for one HR and bluray. Not sure what outputs the HR has without pulling it out of the closet. Thanks

6. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, if you don't want to use my suggestion above, then run one HR and the BD player via HDMI through the receiver and the other HR via HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver.

The added benefit of running the HR's via HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver is that you can use the TV's audio if the need ever arises.

7. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Legend

Apr 8, 2006
    Look no further than here.

8. Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot Legend

Oct 11, 2007
    Since you can only watch one HR anyhow, do not hook one of them up ( or use component and optical in to your receiver, as a backup,,. Use MRV to connect the two HR's together. Then you have 4 tuners on one input.

9. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    What makes you think that?

Many displays have PIP and two DVR's allows for that capability.

Some people have their DVR's distributed through their homes, but are centrally located on one display.

In either case, and I'm sure many others, you would want both receivers connected at all times.