1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 DVR's and recording 4 shows?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 996911, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Not that I can imagine ever doing this but I can picture my wife doing it :)

If I have 2 DVR's, each with their 2 independent cables of the 4 coming from the dish then I assume you can DVR shows independently and record 4 shows at the same time.

I am pretty certain the answer is yes but just want to confirm.

Many thanks!

"The other questions"
    1. Why would Sunday Ticket by almost $300 and then to get the games in HD you not only have to be a HD customer $10/mo but pay another $100 for those games.

2. If the DVR is "free" when you sign up and the HD DVR is $200 then why if you want both is it $300 and not $200?

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes. And watch a 5th (or 6th) previously recorded show.

3. kenva

kenva Mentor

Dec 29, 2006
    Yes you can. In addition to that you could also watch a different pre recorded show on each DVR at the same time.

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I wound up doing exactly that every Thursday last Fall (NBC, CW, ABC, Fox all being recorded at the same time).

5. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Sweet!!!! Thanks so much for the blazin fast replies. I was in the process of editing my thread and y'all already posted. Amazing!

6. falken

falken Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    It is more of a "pick one" promotion:
    Free DVR
    Free HD
    $100 off HD DVR

If you take the free DVR box you don't also get the $100 off the HD DVR, etc.

7. kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    Actually it is quite possible that you could get both for $200. I did. Plus 4 months Free HD Service.

Again just have to find the right CSR.

8. falken

falken Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    Well, yes... YMMV by calling and seeing what kind of deal you can work out. But the offical promo is that you only get one... That is what you would get by doing it yourself on the website.

9. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    I guess I'll call instead of doing it on the website and see what happens. I am not a "see how much I can squeeze from them" person. I'll ask, and if it isn't comp'd then I move on and just pay the $100. No biggie.

10. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    I've had as many as six or more shows recording simultaneously on three HDTivos and one SD DTivo. I pad all of my recordings so there's always an overlap between shows so getting them all synched up to avoid conflicts can get a bit tricky.

I no longer have DirecTV but I do have an HTPC with five external USB ATSC tuners for OTA HD channels and one S3 Tivo for recording my FIOS channels. I use Snapstream's BeyondTV4 and I can record five shows simultaneously with my current setup. The number of tuners is basically unlimited with BTV4 and five simultaneous recordings doesn't even come close to the available bandwidth for USB 2.0 or the hard drives so I could easily add even more tuners (and the thought has definitely crossed my mind:D ).

11. TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    And to make this go further, if you had a zinwell multiswitch (6x8, which allows for 8 outputs), and two more HR20s hooked up with 2 runs each, you could record or watch live 8 shows at once. There is even a 6x16 switch now, so the possibilities are "endless". Technology is great, isn't it?

12. TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems Godfather

Mar 1, 2007

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.