1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 eSata drives with 1 HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Steve Rhodes, May 27, 2009.

1. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Since the HR2xs are known to begin to bog down when they get into the 1.5-2TB range of fullness, this got me to thinking. Couldn't one attach two or more 1TB eSata drives to an HR20, but only one at time. If you wanted to watch something off of eSata drive 2 and you had number 1 plugged in, you could reboot and this time reattach drive 2 before it comes back up.

This case would also be handy if you already have an almost full eSata drive but don't have the time or inclination to watch everything on it before upgrading to a bigger drive.

This is all not optimal I agree. But would it work?

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I don't see why this wouldn't work. But, I'd power down the HR and ext drive, disconnect external drive 1 and connect #2. Then power it all up.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This would work, but maintaining your recording preferences and making sure the right drive is enabled up at the right time would require considerable discipline.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Be like going back to time shifting with VCRs. I had to keep a log of where everything was. Would be simpler than that, and would absolutely work, but I haven't got to the point where I don't have enough capacity. 2TBs is an awful lot of capacity.

Rich

5. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I have thought about this. Primarily for football season. I came up with 2 major limitations very quickly.
    1. It takes way too long to boot up an HR. If I could reboot in 2 minutes I might do it. And people think Windows is slow to boot. Almost a deal killer.
    2. You have disk 2 in watching a football game and the wife's show comes on and it only records to disk 1. Deal killer.

6. Don Moe

Don Moe Mentor

May 21, 2005
    The better solution would be to install a second HR2x receiver and connect both to the TV set. If the TV doesn't have multiple HDMI inputs, use an HDMI switcher to select the active HR2x receiver. This would allow independent and possibly overlapping programming schedules for you and your wife to record up to two programs each simultaneously.

Of course, one complication is feeding both receivers from the sat dish. Here an SWM-8 could provide an answer if you don't already use one.

Don

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    With VCR time shifting all you had to do was change tapes; something just about any family member could pull off without major training. The VCR didn't forget any timers when you changed tapes. Changing active drives is a much more involved and somewhat delicate process that takes several minutes of reboot time.

I'd be somewhat concerned about how a DLB implementation might impact the receiver being unplugged randomly.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Um, what? Huh? WHy? What does a possible "DLB Implementation" have to do with this?

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Get a second HD DVR, and use it on whatever other tv you have in the house.. And then go read around in the ce forum to understand why that solves all your issues... Which is basically that you want to spread your recordings around if, I just jump to the real question ;)

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If a DVR is always recording something, what happens when you chop the power?

11. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    This is a reason why I would like to see eSATA be in addition to your main storage, instead of replacing it. That way you could add another drive to the chain, without losing everything.

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson

If done right you are NOT chopping the power. You connect/disconnect drives during a reboot, so there is no buffering or recording occurring at the time of the drive swap.

13. Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    Agreed.... besides, with DLB or not, there is always a live buffer recording. Whats the difference if there are 2 of them going?

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    My biggest concern on doing a eSATA drive shuffle would be loosing all the recordings.

With each reboot/swap you run the risk of the software finding/thinking there is a problem with the drive. As such, it will attempt to fix/reformat the drive. Likely result *poof* no more TB of archived recordings.

Before anyone argues that it could happen with the internal as well, yes it could. However, the eSATA is still an unsupported feature, so the eSATA code may not be as robust as it could.

Just remember, DVRs are really for *short term* storage. Not long time archiving that some want to do by stuffing the largest drive they can get their hands on.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Agreed, every time there is an NR and all my HRs reboot, I have to check each eSATA. I did lose a 750 just as you described. I did get it back, but without the recordings and I figured it would happen again and I dumped it. As for the "archiving", that's just foolish, I think. Anyone who does that is just asking for lost recordings.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Nothing, most of the time. I did lose a 750 after an NR. But, one eSATA over how many NRs? I do dread the "checking receiver" period of the boot up process, but one time out of so very many reboots isn't bad. And the eSATA was a Cavalry that I had had for a long time.

Rich

17. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    How much would a 1TB eSATA drive and enclosure cost?

Why not put that cost toward an HR22 or HR23 (larger drive)? Of course, there's that extra fee for the extra receiver to consider! :)

18. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I sort of think that no one here actually forgot that. The problem is that there is no long-time archiving method available or practical, so if you want to hang on to a HD recording for a long time, it has to sit on the original HDD, typically. A "cache" recorder then gets pressed into service as an "archive" recorder by necessity.

I need enough space to allow me to save programs all season and play them back throughout the summer. I have finally surpassed that barrier, with a 1 TB x drive on one DVR and a 1.5 TB x drive on the other. But I agree with Robert that archiving is a crapshoot--I am still missing about 13 eps of seasons 4 and 5 of The Shield from when my old SD Tivo took a crap.

So, I guess I am also qualified to chime in on how much of a pain using both the x drives and the internal drives can be. The answer? Not much, really. The reboot is simple, just either turn the x drive on or off and reboot (no unplugging and replugging of eSATA cables needed) and 6-12 minutes later (depending on the drive size and how many recordings are on it) you're in business on the other drive. I go back and forth regularly. Go make a sandwich. Walk the dog. It's cumbersome, but not unmanageable.

Of course its much easier if you also keep a log of what you record in a spreadsheet. I'd like to take this opportunity to once again plead for a new feature, which would be for the HD DVR to cache the NP List of both the internal and x drive together in the same list. Those on a currently-unavailable drive could be flagged as such, and if you try to play them it could prompt you to reboot. 20 lines of code to do that, probably, so come on, guys, let's do it.:)