1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

2 Hoppers sharing tuners?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by trido, May 2, 2014.

1. May 2, 2014 #1 of 20
    trido

trido AllStar

Nov 7, 2004
    Has anything changed as far as having 2 hoppers and wanting to share tuners?

thanks

2. May 2, 2014 #2 of 20
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    No.

3. May 2, 2014 #3 of 20
    trido

trido AllStar

Nov 7, 2004
    I am told to try this?I will when i get home .
    menu-settings-network setup-whole home is where you link them all togahter. if your hoppers and joeys are all linked togather you should be able to use what ever 6 tuners are avail that does include being able to watch all the recordings no matter what hopper they are recorded on. now if you press the red hot key to see what tuners are avail it will still show three you have to switch hoppers to see the others but there are always 6 tuners you can use for live tv or recording.

if you are using three tuners currently for just say recordings. at the same time. you should still be able to watch live tv on th other three. you have to have a duo node in your installation to be able to do this instead of a solo node the only way to find out what yu have is to ask the installer you went thru and if you have a duo node you should also be able to see all 6 tuners with the red hot key. just asked these questions to make sure for you

4. May 2, 2014 #4 of 20
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The above quote is FALSE...You cannot watch tuners on another Hopper from a Hopper.
    You can watch recordings on any Hopper from any Hopper.

5. May 2, 2014 #5 of 20
    trido

trido AllStar

Nov 7, 2004
    more stuff i was told. in response to having 2 hoppers i do have duo node
    if you are using three tuners currently for just say recordings. at the same time. you should still be able to watch live tv on th other three. you have to have a duo node in your installation to be able to do this instead of a solo node the only way to find out what yu have is to ask the installer you went thru and if you have a duo node you should also be able to see all 6 tuners with the red hot key.

6. May 2, 2014 #6 of 20
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Nope, you are still wrong.

If you have 2 Hoppers you have to have a duo-node, won't work with a single. And you will NOT be able to see the tuners on the other Hopper, only the recordings.

The only config that will allow you to see all tuners in a remote unit is a Hopper/SuperJoey setup.

7. May 2, 2014 #7 of 20
    trido

trido AllStar

Nov 7, 2004
    Thanks, I do think this DISH employee that feed me oh 2 hoppers will work may not be a HOPPER expert by any means.I called my local installer and we are setup to take off one hopper replace it with one super joey that will give me 5 tuners (no prime time)to share among the TV's
    thanks

8. May 2, 2014 #8 of 20
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I think you'll like that setup just fine. That's what I have and I'm tickled pink!! :)

9. May 2, 2014 #9 of 20
    RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    If all of your tuners are recording you can use the other Hoppers tuners.to set timer to record.

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    If you go online or use an tablet/phone with the appropriate app to do it, or go to the other room.

11. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    No you can do it from the primary Hopper. But this new feature might be disable at the moment. I will have to test when I get home.

12. trido

trido AllStar

Nov 7, 2004
    yes from the joey i could pick back and fourth which hopper?Well I send one hopper back and went with a super joey this seems to work so far for us.
    Did get the OTA usb tuner but i was wrong and thought it could be used as far as prime time recordings.I think it can only do one local ch at a time.

13. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Yes the OTA tuner is only one channel at a time. You do get Autohop on these recordings.

14. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    No, you can't.

There is currently no feature that allows you to set timers on one Hopper from another Hopper. Will there ever be such a feature? Who knows. People have been asking for it... but there is no such feature yet.

15. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    thinking of switching to the hopper & wireless joey setup........but would like some info

If my setup was hopper w/sling, super joey & 2 wireless joeys.........if the hopper had problems......would the super joey still allow program viewing?

16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Unfortunately no. If you have one Hopper, if it dies you are out of business until you replace it.

17. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium] trido,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Having a 2 Hopper system with the dual Node, will allow you to see/watch the other Hopper DVR recordings. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]If you have the Hopper w/Sling (HWS), you can login to the App or [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]www.dishanywhere[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] on a PC/Laptop to watch the live programming or recordings. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]If you have any assistance please PM me with the phone and 4 digit PIN number.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

18. trido

trido AllStar

Nov 7, 2004
    thanks but what i needed was to see and use the tuners on the hopper IOW share tuners between hoppers that is waht i needed to have more tuners , so I went with super to get 2 more.
    i thought going the 2 hopper route my hopper would share tuners with my second hopper tuner share /
    thanks

19. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]With you getting the Super Joey it will allow more freedom for recordings and less scheduling conflicts. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The 2 Hopper systems is for the family that does moderate recording, if you have any further DISH questions please let me know and I am happy to help you! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

20. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Add a 2TB EHD to your Hopper and that could take care of what you need without renting more equipment.