1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 houses...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hayesb2, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 3, 2012 #1 of 52
    hayesb2

hayesb2 New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    For the past 3 yrs we've not had cable/satelite and just used OTA with netflix, its been fine but were getting a little tired of it. The reason I switched to this setup the first time was we have 2 houses and can easily use netflix at both places on the same account...

Is there anyway I can do this with directv? We are at the 2nd house every weekend, so lugging receiver boxes back and forth is out of the question...

I don't really care if the ideas are borderline, I'm open to any suggestions...

I also have a camper as well which is registered if that gives me additional options on how to do this...

2. Sep 3, 2012 #2 of 52
    peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if you want to be legit, you would need to 2 DirecTV accounts. otherwise, DirecTV will install the equipment in your main house and you would have to hire some independent installer to set up the equipment at your vacation house.

3. Sep 3, 2012 #3 of 52
    hayesb2

hayesb2 New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Can I have the DirecTV installed in one house, and then do a "change of address" to the other house a couple months later? And then I would assume I'd have dishes and wiring setup for both places then and could just take an extra receiver and move it back to the original house, would this setup work? Or is this a risky thing to do? The receivers will only be on at one place at a time, never turned on at the same time at both places...

4. Sep 3, 2012 #4 of 52
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    In order to do the Mover's Connection for free to get the dish and wiring at the second house you need to be a subscriber for 1 year. If you try to do it before then, it will cost you somewhere between $50-$100. As you go back and forth to each house, you would need to update the service address as to where you are. By updating the service address, you are compliant with the TOS with having one account at an address. The one issue you might run into is that you will be frequently updating the service address and DirecTV might not like that.

Some people don't go the route of updating the service address, but still follow the rule that the service is not used in two locations at the same time. The downside to this is that you won't have your locals in the second location if they are provided by a different spot beam than your primary location.

- Merg

5. Sep 3, 2012 #5 of 52
    hayesb2

hayesb2 New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    There are about 150 miles between both places so I don't think the locals would work at both places...But as mentioned I do have a registered camper/RV that is parked at one of the properties. Will this allow me to have distant networks that I could use at the one residence that was out of the spot beam from the service address?

6. Sep 3, 2012 #6 of 52
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    The only option is to have two accounts or possibly suspend one and move to the other (as in a summer home).

All other options would violate the DIRECTV Customer Agreement. hayesb2, you should call DIRECTV to determine what your options are.

I'll let the discussion continue but there will be no posts that discuss skirting or violating the DIRECTV Customer Agreement.

Mike

7. Sep 3, 2012 #7 of 52
    hayesb2

hayesb2 New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    OK I was thinking that would happen...its unfortunate that directv isnt more flexible with folks in my situation. I'll call them but I did years ago and they denied my request, hence the reason I ended up using netflix with OTA antenna...at least netflix is flexible in allowing the same owner with 2 residences to have 1 account. I'll call and let you guys know the result but I'm pretty sure they won't allow me since I go to the 2nd house every weekend...

8. Sep 3, 2012 #8 of 52
    elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    I used to do this all the time when we had a house in Lake Arrowhead..just call and do a change of service when we were going to be in one place or the other. The distance was/is 120 miles between the two locations. Now, changing the service address meant that when we were at Lake Arrowhead, we'd get the LA locals, and at home we get the San Diego locals....but the transponder footprint for both overlap...ie we'd still get the San Diego locals at Lake Arrowhead, or the LA locals in San Diego if we didn't do the service address change before going from one to the other....your mileage can certainly vary depending on just where you are in the transponder's footprint at each location.

9. Sep 3, 2012 #9 of 52
    hayesb2

hayesb2 New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    So I can do a change of service 52 times a year? If so that would be exactly what I need...I was thinking there was a limit on this?

10. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    In order to get DNS on an account, the RV ird(s) have to be the only ones on the account and you have to fill out and submit the DNS RV Letter and Affidavit along with a copy of the vehicle registration.

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    as Mike and I stated, anything besides having two accounts is illegal, but usually DirecTV turns a "blind eye" to snow birds. but 52 times a year, is NEVER going to happen

12. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    The question for the topic opener will now be:

Is the summer home worth $80 a month to get DirecTV programming.

Or, is it worth $20 a weekend. :D

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you can stream Netflix from the second home, why not hook up a slingbox to your main home Directv box, and just sling it to your weekend home?

14. hayesb2

hayesb2 New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm not going to sling the directv and dealing with low quality TV, I think my question has been answered. My decision will be the same as it was 3 yrs ago and I'll just stick with OTA and Netflix. If Directv cannot accommodate folks with weekend homes then they wont get my money...its simply not worth it to me to pay for 2 accounts, and barely worth it to pay for 1 account.

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    They make an HD slingbox you know... Quality should be as good or better than Netflix.

16. hayesb2

hayesb2 New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Yea, actually I have the HD Slingbox Pro and its no where near Netflix HD. With Netflix I cant tell a difference between it and regular HD service, but with my HD Slingbox its good but constantly pixelates and occassionally stutters. My net connections do not have the upload bandwidth necessary to compete with Netflix quality...Thanks for the input everyone, its helped me make my decision again to not mess with DirecTV...maybe in another 3 yrs I'll check back and see if weekend homes on 1 account are legally possible.

17. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I dont think DirecTV will never make this possible. allowing this is opening the door for folks to install DirecTV in their mother, brothers, friends "vacation homes"

18. hayesb2

hayesb2 New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Not really, simply allowing me to plug the receivers into a phone line or something so they can validate only 1 address is active at a time will be good enough for my situation....seems to me like there are ways DirectTV could do this without allowing the outright theft you are referring to

19. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Whats the driver of the desire for dtv? Is it more shows during the week, or sports on the weekend? My suggestion would simply be get a DVR, and get DIRECTV at the place you will watch the tv you desire most at. I'd guess that would be the week house if this isn't sports driven. You'd have DIRECTV during the week, and any show that was on when you where not home you'd have waiting for you when you got back. I'd think that would also make your weekend home more of a vacation home in terms of viewing, so to speak... Just what I'd probably do...

20. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    That the thing with DIRECTV boxes, they have to be active all the timer the account has to be suspended. They are always getting guide data, etc. not quite as easy as it may seem, especially if you have a DVR at one of the locations. I agree there should be a way to do this, but I am not sure what the optimal solution is. Maybe one on the go DVR like the old sat go... Something that would dock to a docking station maybe? And then at what cost?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.