1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Ideas for MVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by love that tv, May 24, 2010.

1. love that tv

love that tv Legend

Jul 8, 2006
    please take consideration before putting down my ideas.

1st idea. Is it possible for DTV to create an application that allows me to Manage my play list from my computer? so i can pull up all my DVRs and drag and drop my show series from DVR to another.

2nd idea. Is it possible to possibly block 1 show on a DVR to be shared. Instead of blocking an entire DVR? IE, lets say i record an adult movie in the bedroom. can I block that individual show and still see the programs i record in the bedroom in the living room?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "possible" sure.
    Have no idea if or when though.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    The first idea should be to change it to MRV. Makes more sense.

4. love that tv

love that tv Legend

Jul 8, 2006
    Sorry Spartan, my brain is fixed on DVR. Thanks

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    No worries, just poking fun.

6. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    *MRV not MVR (in your title)

both very interesting ideas, I'd love to see if they implement things like this in the future..

Personally, I can't see how ALL home entertainment networks won't eventually have something like this (Remote management of all media stored on HDDVR's from a computer, STB, or slim client.)

I think I'd count on #2 as a possible candidate for a future CE.. suggest it to them on Twitter! (Those suggestions actually reach someone who might be able to make it reality)
    #1 would take more time, and I'm not entirely sure D* is comfortable with an outside device (a computer) controlling (in some small manner, at least) a STB... but +2 for great ideas!

7. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    I believe current H/HR2X parental controls will achieve what you want them to do already.

8. love that tv

love that tv Legend

Jul 8, 2006
    parent controls would stop the program from being watched. but would it stop it from the title appearing in the playlist on the livingroom DVR?

9. love that tv

love that tv Legend

Jul 8, 2006
    thanks xmetalx. I cant edit the title to read MRV. if an admin. could, that would be great. also, I will tweet the ideas. I understand that DTV might not be comfortable with Idea #2, but maybe they could incorporate a way for me to manage all my play list so i don't get multiple recordings. even an on-screen menu on the DVR would be great.

10. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    tin foil hat on:

Maybe this is a way to increase revenue by making customers buy a separate DVR for their "private" recordings. :lol:

tin foil hat off:

11. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    The Playlist would read, "BLOCKED TITLE" for the program not allowed to be viewed from the parent-controlled receiver.

If one were to try to play it, it would ask for the four-digit pass code to temporarily unlock the receiver to play the program. Additionally, after putting in the code, pressing INFO will still produce a "Blocked Title" in the description even though the program is playing.