1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

.2 Network

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by Glen_D, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    About a year ago, a new digital multicast service called .2 Network was announced with a scheduled launch date of December 2008. One of the affiliates was to be a station in my local market.

But ten months after the scheduled launch, we still don't have this service, and apparently, it hasn't started anywhere, yet.

Anyone know the status of .2 Network? Does anyone actually have this service up and running in their local market? If it isn't operational yet, I have to wonder if it can really become a viable service.

2. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers DIRECTV A-Team

Sep 22, 2006
    It took about 2 minutes on Google to find all of this information:

1. .2 network has a website... on that website they provide NO information about where they can be seen, only that you should contact your local provider. One would think that were they actually on the air somewhere they would be shouting about it.

2. The San Antonio affiliate was to have been KSAT TV, whose web site also shows no information about their pkans for .2 Network.

3. A list of all the planned affiliates for .2 can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.2_Network as well as a record of their delays. It may well be that they have ceen the victim of the delays in the digital transition and the general economy.

3. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Another commercial tv outlet. 14 minutes of commercials per hour. :nono:

http://dot2network.com/national/press/firstaffils

Looks like it will have some good movies. I am oiling up the fast forward button. :lol:

Will have to see how an additional HD channel will degrade the primary channel.

4. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    So, it sounds like .2 hasn't started yet.

You would think they would make an announcement, and maybe they would on a national level, but in my local market, I would say multicast services have been added with little, if any fanfare. Most just showed up unannounced when scanning channels. Station websites also provide little or no information on these multicast channels, save for a programming guide. YMMV in your particular market.

Makes me wonder if the local affiliates of major networks have some kind of pact with those networks not to promote multicast channels?

5. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    I have worked for three big-four affiliates and I've never heard of any such restriction. In fact, one of them actively promoted their subchannel. I have also seen promos for subchannels on many other stations.

More likely, stations decide they don't want to use their resources to promote a channel until it reaches a majority of households in the market. Since cable/satellite penetration is roughly 85% (national figure), adding an extra multicast channel alone only reaches about 15% of households. Even if it's added on digital cable, in most cases it still doesn't reach more than half the households in the market since satellite doesn't carry it.