1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Receivers off of 1 Line?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Instigator1966, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instigator1966

Instigator1966 New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I currently have a triple lnb, with one of the lines running to my basement. Can I put a splitter in the line and use 2 Directv receivers (i.e. one line splits into 2 lines and I use a receiver on each of the 2 lines)? I thought I remember someone saying you can't do this, but I'm not sure why since I would be using 2 seperate receivers.

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk, Instigator1966!

This is a bit of a simplistic explanation, but the cable that runs between the receiver and a dish is a two-way communications line. Not only does it receive the signal from the dish, but the receiver also sends a signal back to the switch on the satellite dish telling it which satellite to point at and which polarity. A splitter simply will not work.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You cannot use regular splitters with directv . Each receiver must have at least one feed directly from the dish or the multi-switch downstream of the dish. You HAVE to run additional lines or use very expensive stacker/de-stacker equipment. If you are already using all 4 lines from your dish, then you will need to add a cascadable multi-switch that has more than 4 outputs, usually then next sstep up is to go to a 4x8 cascadable multi-switch, or 5x8 if you have an OTA hookup.

What exact dish do you have , a Phase III or do you have one of the slightly older models that uses the SAT C kit?

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    This question is pop-up each day - Mods could you make two sticky posts at Dish and DirecTV forum ?

Just one phrase in subject: "Don't use splitter !"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.