1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 SWM16 + DECA?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dinotheo, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1 of 18
    dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    Hi all,

I am in the middle of an install/upgrade. Everything has gone great except we are stuck. My install includes 2 SWM16s. One SWM16 is cascaded off of the legacy ports of the primary SWM16. Previously my receivers were all connected with MRV ethernet. They worked just fine.
    We are stuck at the DECA part. The technician has hooked up 2 deca boxes. One to each SWM16. It doesn't look like the receivers from 1 SWM16 can "see" the receivers from the second SWM16. Can someone help out with how this should be connected?

Thanks,
    Dino

2. Mar 7, 2012 #2 of 18
    David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Yes, there should be a DECA bridge from each SWiM-16. Can each receiver see the internet?

3. Mar 7, 2012 #3 of 18
    dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    Thanks David.
    Do you know how to bridge them? Right now he has a deca on each swm16 connected to my home network and out to the internet.

Thanks,
    Dino

4. Mar 7, 2012 #4 of 18
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Doesn't solve your problem but I have a SWiM16 and a SWiM8 and use a BB-DECA on each that connect to a switch and everything can see everything else on both SWiM modules.

5. Mar 7, 2012 #5 of 18
    dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    Hmmm...that is what I have, but each SWM16 seems to be on its own network.

6. Mar 7, 2012 #6 of 18
    David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    The DECAs that are connected to your home network are the bridges. If each DVR can connect to the internet, then they should all be able to see each other.

The HR24s, since they were connected via ethernet previously, probably need to have the network setup redone to switch them to coax networking.

7. Mar 7, 2012 #7 of 18
    dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    Thanks. I think the internet connection is my issue. They can't get out to the internet. We'll keep trying to figure this out.

8. Mar 7, 2012 #8 of 18
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    They actually don't need to get to the internet for MRV to work, but that is a good indicator that the DECA bridge to your router is set up right and working. As long as both SWM16's are connected to the same LAN (and same subnet), then all of your units should be able to work with each other.

9. Mar 7, 2012 #9 of 18
    dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    I'll need to get back to diagnose this. Going from the diagrams that I've seen, my DECA is hooked up without the "SWM splitter". He has the DECA connected directly to the 8 way coming off of the SWM16 and the network cable is going into a network switch I have right next to my DTV equipment.

I cut the guy loose. He did a bang up job on everything else and I am very happy. I am sure I can knock this DECA issue out. I just don't understand it. My receivers can't get an IP address but they can see each other. (Not across the SWM's, just local).

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Check your networking as "I bet" you'll see IPs starting with 169, which are their internal ones. Reset network defaults and go from there, which "should get" them to pick up the IP from your router.

11. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    Sorry for the bother folks. I found the problem. I hooked up a laptop to the switch where I plugged the deca into. Lo and behold my laptop wasn't pulling an IP address. It turns out somehow the uplink cable from that switch to the next switch was disconnected. I have no clue how this would have happened. Maybe it was knocked loose during the install.

As is my DTV setup, my network setup is quite complex. I have 3 servers (HP Proliant) running in a rack. A mail server (Exchange), a file server and my legacy file server (I am moving off of that one). They have teamed nics with redundant paths back to my network. (So they can survive a switch or nic failure). I run DNS and DHCP from my servers. I have 6 "routers". 5 are running solely as access points and 1 is the actual router. I have 12 network switches. (Mostly gigabit).

I just checked my DHCP server. I have over 60 IP addresses. That doesn't include my DTV receivers as most of them are running static IP addresses. I had done this back when I was first beta testing whole home on ethernet. It was suggested that running static IP's would make it more stable.

So, yes, I am quite nuts.

Thanks.

12. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    that was very cool of you to cut him loose at that point. you have a very complicated network and seem very capable of finishing from here !! now that you found that unplugged wire are they seeing each other yet ??

13. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    Yeah, the kid busted his hump. Since my install was so big and he cleared his schedule to have only my install for today, I made sure to compensate him for the lack of additional install trips. I also left great feedback with his supervisor.

So, I am now troubleshooting one last issue. Everything can get out to the internet and they can all see each other. Except for 1 box. That is an HR20-700 and the C. Link light is flashing. I swapped that deca module to make sure it wasn't bad and that c.link light is flashing on the new one as well. Also, there are other receivers that work on the same 8 way splitter as that box. So I will troubleshoot a bit more.

Thanks,

14. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Your signature says WB616 and SWM16 parallel is that correct or do you have 2 SWM16s?

15. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    Ahhh...time to update the sig.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You haven't forgot an old diplexer on that line have you?
    The cLink blinking is because it can't find another DECA [the RF signal] to sync with.

How current is you sig now?
    You don't list a HR20-700, but do a HR20-100, which needs a special DECA configuration.

17. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    And that last one works just fine when you remove the diplexer you had left on there. I guess there is no easier way to strip deca off than using a diplexer.

Thanks VOS. I thought I had gotten all of the diplexers.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    ;)