1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 VIP622 die cause of overheat

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by lv99, Jul 16, 2009.

1. lv99

lv99 Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    My VIP622 got so hot. It showed video in slow motion and the DVR function is totally dead. It rebooted itself every few minutes. Last week it cannot even power on. I called Dish and got replacement. The new one got same issue. The heat was so bad. It can burn your hand. I had to put a small fan to blow direct to the case to allow me watch TV. If I try to access DVR recorded program. The receiver freezes up.

Is it because by the new firmware that force receiver to work overtime? Is this the cause of N3 codes overload its processor power?

Thinking of switching to DTV :mad:

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    How is the ventilation around your receiver?

Is it installed in an enclosure? Or with another device on top of it?

These DVRs do need a lot of airflow to properly ventilate and allow cooler operation.

3. lv99

lv99 Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    mothing around the receiver. it had at least 3 inches from top to the upper shelf. i had the first one for over 3 yrs with same setup. the VIP622 started to get heat issues after mid Jun this year. seem like the N3 went into active at that time, and the receiver can not handle the crap that force it to work like a dog. nothing more ridiculous than i have to put a small fan in front to blow cool air to make it operates until the replament come.

4. phobos512

phobos512 Mentor

Nov 20, 2007
    I had a problem with one of the two 622s in my apartment. It was in a cabinet with a glass door on it. I finally had to remove the door to have it work all the time. They definitely don't like heat at all.

5. lv99

lv99 Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    the bad design of the VIP622 will kill it for sure. there are no holes on top of receiver for heat to dispense upward. they had them on bottom or on the sides. i need to put 4 CD cases on the bottom to raise the 622 up a little to help the heat escape the shelf. the glass doors were removed years ago. I knew this new VIP622 was bad when i got it as replacement on Monday. The STB heats up so fast. it can burn your hand during software download and check switches process. I'm talking about HOT really HOT hear. The STB still warm when both tuners are off and not use over the night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. phobos512

phobos512 Mentor

Nov 20, 2007
    I had one that got as hot as you're describing - it actually would pop up a message on the screen stating that it was overheating. I ended up turning it in for a replacement. The one I have had since then has worked fine, only going into a shut-off situation once.

7. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    I am in OC also.. I have a 722 in a cabinet. I have a closed cabinet with a temperature gauge next to it. The temperature reads the temperature of the left of the unit and a the temperature at the top of the case. My AV receiver is at the top of the cabinet. During the summer months I have to keep it open as the exhaust fans can't seem to keep up with the heat the components generate. Looking at the pictures, it appears your unit is pressed against one side. If that is the case definitely move it from that position. For reference... Right now I am seeing temperatures around the case at 85 and the top of the cabinet is running around 95F. Might want to get a dual temperature guage from Radio Shack to monitor the temperature around the case... Would give you a data point and away to monitor if the changes you do are helping the situation.

Been hot over the last couple of weeks here. Do you have AC?

What some people have done that appear to help in these type of situations is to install a laptop fan underneath the units. If you do a search in this forum on laptop fan or laptop coolers you should get some hits. That might be a better solution than a fan blowing on it.

Mine is a 722 so there might be some heat generation difference. Given what I have seen reported on the laptop coolers definitely something to give a try. Is the the only components below the DVD recorder and DVD player? If so, Are those always on too?

8. thewolfman

thewolfman New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    There is a intake port on the right side, when looking at it from the front, of the 622/722. From your picture, it appears that your 622 is shoved up against the right side of the cabinet, blocking the intake port. Try moving it over to the left a bit, so it can breath and see if it helps.

You can check the temperature by pressing 'menu', then '6', then '3', then select 'counters' and press 'page down' about seven times and the high, low, and average temperature will be displayed. Check it out and post your temps.

9. lv99

lv99 Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    the picture does not show the right side of the STB that clear. it had 1 inch of space bettwen the STB and the cabinet wall and 2 inches on the left (where HD located). if I put the notebook fan on the bottom, it will not help with current STB design. fan need space to move air around. most AV receivers have open holes around the case for heat to exhaust. VIP622 had harddrive in it. why did they design the case that will trap hot air inside?

I may need to get this fan to keep the heat in check

[​IMG]

10. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    For proper ventilation you really should have 4 - 6 inches to both the left and right sides of the receiver. Area above the receiver doesn't really matter that much as that's not where it vents heat. That the original unit lasted so long with that ventilation is probably just a stroke of luck.

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, I don't know all the scientific calculations for optimum cooling... but I wouldn't feel comfortable with my receiver unless it had 3-4 inches on either side of it.

My receivers are either on top of my TV with nothing on the sides OR on a shelf that has open sides so there's plenty of room... and they still run plenty hot on average even with good ventilation.

12. thewolfman

thewolfman New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    What are the temps?? Other than "feeling" hot, what sort of temperatures are we talking about?

13. lv99

lv99 Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    my old VIP622 last for over 2 years without help of fan. Hot air rises because it's less dense than cold air. That is the law of physic. VIP622 sealed the top to trap all the hot air. It don't care how much space you give it on the sides. most of the hot air still trap inside the box. thinking it as a desktop PC. slim PC can not last if the CPU and hard drive does not have good cooling fans to get rid of the heat. I'm not sure what fan they had inside the box. it does not do good job to keep it cool. If it uses SATA drive then you can expect more heat from the harddrive. the STB is over 110F in "sleep mode".

14. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Sheesh. The box has vent slots on the left and right sides.

You cover the slots on the right side completely and then bitch about overheating? If you want hot air to escape that air must be replaced by air from the outside.

A few folks have pointed this out to you. If you refuse to correct this, why continue whining here? :rolleyes:

15. Grampa67

Grampa67 Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    I don't know how many 622's out there but if this was a poor design you would think there would be a lot more complaints here.

16. thewolfman

thewolfman New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    By blocking one entire side of vents, you are not allowing air to flow through the unit to cool it. How difficult is it to use a straw if your finger is blocking the opposite end? How about using a straw that ISN'T blocked by your finger? Which one is easier?

How about posting some temps?? Without any real data, other than 'feeling', I'm done.................

By the way, I think you meant to say physics.

17. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
  18. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    I have reduced the size of the P.Smiths pic

Attached Files:

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Thermovision by GunnerJoe@SG:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my mod what still working fine up today - this type of modification could be done only if you OWN the 622 or 722:
    high 109°F
    low 93°F
    avg 100°F

[Sorry for big picture, but I struggled with the link - I can't post pictures here and I can't correct size of the picture in that my old thread on different site.]

20. lv99

lv99 Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    [​IMG]

it's not 100% blocked. i put the ruler on top to show you how much space it had on the right hand side. if it is blocked then how can the old STB last for 2+ years? is it normal if you PC or Mac operates at 100F in sleep mode?