1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Whole Home Systems on same ethernet network issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by babock, Mar 7, 2014.

1. babock

babock New Member

Mar 7, 2014
    I have 2 HR24 DVRs on a home network. I am using the DIRECTV CINEMA Connection Kit DECA to connect internet to it.

I have a renter in my house next door who shares my internet wirelessly.

All was fine and dandy until a week ago, My neighbor picked up an HR44. I actually didn't realize he had bought this until last night. I came home and saw 50 shows that I had not programmed so I deleted them. They show as partial recordings and cannot be played. I also noticed some of my shows weren't there. It wasn't until I looked at my router that I saw a few new DVRs on my IP connect list that light bulbs started going off in my head. That is when I found out they had connected to the internet with their new DVR. They of course were not too happy that a years worth of shows weren't there anymore.

My question is can we isolate being able to see each others DVRs?

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Well assuming right now you have a single wireless router that you both you and they connect to, the simplest solution would be to get a second wireless router, plug its WAN/internet port into one of the LAN ports on your wireless router, and have them connect to that while you continue connecting to yours.

3. babock

babock New Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Yes, I can see how that would help in getting their system on a separate subnet.

Unfortunatey I don't think I can do that physically. I have my main wireless/router/modem downstairs with a cable that runs upstairs to a switch. From that switch, it feeds a wireless access point that they join to and it feeds the DVR connection DECA.

I will see what I can do differently though. Maybe I can try your suggestion or at least test it out someway. Thanks for your reply.

4. jes

jes Icon

Apr 20, 2007
    Try replacing the Wireless Access Point with a wireless router. Plug the WAN port into your upstairs switch. You will need to config the new router LAN to a different subnet & allow remote access so you can access the console from your network w/o having to connect to the other network.

BTW your existing setup is a security & malware risk to all... :eek2:

afterthought... You aren't sharing the dish & DECA are you?