1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 year commitment

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cj3234, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cj3234

cj3234 Cool Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Can any one tell me for sure if they know if you can buy out of your commitment to DTV.

Or if any one know's someone who's got out of there commitment and how.

I'm over DTV. can't stand it no more.can't beleive i actually thought this was a great company less than a year ago.:mad:

Extremely:mad: :mad:
    :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: At Dtv

I also know how this site works this threat prob. wont last long because they don't like people complaning about dtv.

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Call Direct...I will say your post is pretty useless because you gave absolutely no explanation of why you arent happy, so I see it as just another rant with no substance....

The general situation is you call, tell them you want to cancel, they have you return the equipment, and you pay some prorated fee and you're done....

3. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    Great thing about this site........we listen to "rants" and try to help when needed but it's extremely hard to do so when you give us no explanations as to what your problem actually is. You trusted this site enough to post your question here, now let it know how it can be of assistance. Better yet.........give D* a call to "Retention" and "fully" explain your problem.........it may just be solved to your satisfaction. ;)

4. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't know anyone who had done it but from what I have read you call them tell them you want to leave, they have you return your equipment or pay the money and you are then out of the contract. Now I honestly have no idea if it's really this simple or not but thats how it's supposed to work. So why are you leaving by the way?

5. cj3234

cj3234 Cool Member

Jan 11, 2006

I have called dtv about every other day to complain about the thing freezing,or not turning off,or not turning on. not recording a program.losing a recording if not done. SEEMS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS RIGHT ON THE R15 IS THE LITTLE RED RESET BUTTON. iv'e been with dtv FOR 7 years AND never had any problems.not with my tivo either but this thing is a piece of crap. they put it on the market before it was ready.now we suffer for it,and this is the 4th one i've had,so i know it's not the machine it's the software. so the best thing they could of done was just roll with tivo untill the software was ready.all they've done is made a lot of good customerS mad at there company!! it would take alot to get me back to the good side on dtv,im just tired of measing with this thing.IN ALL ACTUALITY I DON'T THINK I SHOULD BE HELD TO A COMMITMENT, BECAUSE THE THING DOESN'T WORK LIKE THEY SAID IT WOULD WHEN I BAUGHT IT ,SO THERE NOT LIVING UP TO THERE PART OF THE COMMITMENT. and there's no equipment to return it''s mine,i'm not leasing.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I can understand your frustration...

Extremely similar to those of us that purchased th $1,000 HR10-250s only to find out they had a flaw in the HDMI card assmebly... and vastly large number of people could not use HDMI/DVI connections for their new $1,000 toy.

Replacement units didn't work... they said it was software.. then it was hardware.

Took about a 9 - 12 months, until it appears they fixed it... but it does still today.

The TiVo unts still suffer from the B&W color switch, that has been there since the Series 1 units.. (still happens on Series 2 on 7.1 software)

----------------

None the less.. you have the right to be upset... and have solid ground to request compensation for it.

I don't know why they haven't stopped the ridiculous practice of replacing the R15s... We know, they know, it isn't the hardware (most of the time at least).

You are correct, they are not living up the bargin 100%... but again... I think they are improving it.... not that it will help you much right now.

7. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    cj3234, i completely understand your frustration. :( and obviously replacement of all the units you have had, is not the solution. Wish i had a solution for you, but i don't and quite frankly, with the frustration you have experienced, i doubt anyone here has. Good luck with a solution. ;)

8. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    I may be wrong, but I believe that returning the equipment releives you of the 2 year obligation.

9. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Actually could you not just switch to a DTivo until this unit is fixed? I am not sure of this but I would guess D* is still sitting on some of them and would send one out rather then lose a customer. At least I know I would :)

10. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    If you still have the DirecTiVo, just use it. You can call and have the R15 deactivated, you are under no commitment to use that specific box (or any box for that matter), you commitment is only related to a specific level of programming.

So, if you like DTV (and you stated you do) just use something else. If/when the R15 gets its bugs worked out, you can have it reactivated. Walmart still has DirecTiVo here for $99 and I sure if you politely explain the problem to DTV they could probably find you another box too...

Just don't confuse DTV's programming commitment with the R15 as they are not related in the least.

11. cj3234

cj3234 Cool Member

Jan 11, 2006
    I stated i did like. i believe now that i'm past a second chance,per say. i've gave them plenty of chances. The problem isn't as easy as just hooking back up my tivo unit, the problem is the 2 year commitment they strap you with for buying a defective product. Which ,really there should not be no commitment,unless your new to directv. I've been a loyal customer for 7 years. That should be enough of a commitment it self,just being a loyal ,money paying customer for 7 years. shouldn't have to be a beta tester. When i had cable i didn't have no commitments no matter what equipment i got. It's like they know they had, a bad product , but say screw'em there in a commitment. They might also think after they do get the bug's worked out You'll forget about it,because you'll like the product by the time your commitment's up. I beleive if your product's is that good you should'nt have to sucker people in to commitments.

I will admit that most people i talk to a dtv will try to help you,but every once in a while you get an operator that just really upset's me.

What really get's me is the lack of common knowledge the advanced tech have,i mean all the problems i've had,i've read about on these thread's by multiple people. And i Know that we're the very small minority of people who would even take the time to look something like this up. most people would just live with it .
    So it's either there lieing to you on the phone, or there's a serious lack of comunication at dtv, which in it self is a sad statement for company.

12. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005

I hear ya man, I wish D* was the only company to employ the commitment stuff and the hve a breakdown in communication. Sadly I simply just have to point at any cellular company right now. Heck with most of them you don't ven have to buy anything, you just simply have to change something on your current plan and that locks you into a new 2 year deal. There is no getting out of the commitment with them, you simply have to pay the out. At least with D* you snd them back the box and all is square and you can go on your merry way.

Ya the R15 has it's issue but as stated before by another poser the commitment you have has nothing to do with the R15 per say, anything you get and activate now gets you that commitment.

I think the bad part is like so many companies now the support departments are so far out of the loop and some of them are so clueless that it takes everything you have to either not laugh at them or go off on them.

13. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    What happens with the HDMI connection? Is it really a hardware issues? And it can still happen? I just want to know since I just got one at the end of last month and want to know what I'll have to do if it happens.

14. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Take a look at the HD Tivo forums here and at TCF there are lots of stories about it's issues. I pesonally don't know anything about it since I don't have an HD tv as of yet.

15. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Basically...

In the intial versions, the HDMI daughter board didn't sit right... and wouldn't make a solid connection... It was a hardware issue.

Supposidly in November of 2004, they corrected the issue.

Durring 2005 the "problem" did appear to be fixed, but there are the occasional posts about it..

My particular unit.... I gave up on the replacement game, and simply use the component connection.

16. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Thanks for the info Earl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.