1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2-year contract expires next month... options?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by carillon, Nov 7, 2012.

1. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    I currently have 6 receivers (1 HD/DVR, 1 HD, 4 SD). With my contract expiring, what would be my best course of action to renew? Should I get Genie and get rid of the receivers I have?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Even if you got rid of all your DVR's, you'd need a SWM-16 if you went to a Genie, unless you got three C31s. If those would go in seldomly used rooms, it might be an option.

3. smitbret

smitbret Legend

Mar 26, 2011
    All depends on what kind of customer you've been and how much you're willing to spend. Have you called to see what options are available?

4. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    Thanks for the replies... I've only been with DirecTV 2 years so that's my only track record. I have not called as of yet, but will.

We currently regularly use the HD/DVR and the HD receivers. The SD receivers sit idle 95% of the time. I suppose ideally I'd like to get the benefits and features of Genie. I could see locating the Genie in the Family Room while providing HD live and recorded viewing in the Bedroom. And Finally, have one receiver able to float around to various locations within the house depending on sporadic needs.

This would get me into the latest technology while cutting my receivers in half. Thoughts?

5. edro

edro New Member

Nov 5, 2012
    What are the benefits of Genie? (other than only needing 1 DVR for whole house)

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The short list of things I like:

5 tuners, 100 series links, 1Tb hard drive (should have been 2), very large external drive support, PiP