1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

2 year contract to switch calling plans?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Nov 1, 2013.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    My friend has US Cellular. He's not under a contract. He had the 450 mins a month calling plan, and wanted to upgrade to unlimited mins. The only way they'd allow him to do it was to agree to a 2 year contract. Is this normal?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using DBSTalk mobile app

2. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Looks that way:

From the US Cellular web site:

Things We Want You To Know
    A new agmt. with a 2-yr. initial term (subject to a pro-rated $150 early termination fee for basic phones, modems and hotspot devices and a $350 early termination fee for smartphones and tablets) and credit approval required for all new lines. The Customer Service Agreement Terms and Conditions apply for as long as you are a customer. A $35 activation fee may apply. Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee of $1.57 applies; this is not a tax or government required charge. Additional fees, taxes, terms, conditions and coverage areas apply and may vary by plan, service, and phone. Use of service constitutes acceptance of the terms of our Customer Service Agreement. U.S. Cellular reserves the right to terminate your service if more than 50% of your overall minutes in each of three consecutive billing cycles are used in U.S. Cellular's non-licensed markets. U.S. Cellular reserves the right to terminate your service if more than 200 MB of your data usage in any month is used in U.S. Cellular's non-licensed markets.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Was he also getting a new phone with that plan ? If so, the new phone would be the reason for the new contract.
    If not, I would not change. Maybe change companies.

4. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    No new phone. Just switching plans.

5. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    If you are looking at the shared data plans with unlimited everything

http://www.uscellular.com/uscellular/support/faq/faqDetails.jsp?topic=shareddataplans.html&parent=plans

8) I am a current customer, and I am under contract. Do I need to sign another 2-year contract when I migrate to a new Shared Data Plan?

Yes, you must sign a new 2-year commitment when migrating to a Shared Data Plan.

9) I am a current customer who has already fulfilled my 2-year contract, and now I am month-to-month. Do I need to sign another 2-year contract when I migrate to a new Shared Data Plan?

Yes, you must sign a new 2-year commitment when migrating to a Shared Data Plan.

6. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    He didn't move to the shared plan either. He only has one phone. I think it's very weird, and wrong. I don't think he should have done it. I think he should have gone with Verizon prepaid unlimited for $50 a month but he doesn't want prepaid.

7. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    looking at the plans on the website it appears the only plans that offer unlimited talk and text are the shared data plans, cannot find a individual plan that offers both unlimited minutes and texting

http://www.uscellular.com/uscellular/plans/showPlans.jsp?plan-selector-type=voice&type=plans#listing