1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 year prepay contract ended with Dish...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by sliderbob, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1 of 41
    sliderbob

sliderbob Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    My 2 year contract just ended with dish network-I was on the prepay-where you MUST pay in advance for your programming...credit wasn't perfect. I contacted Dish if there were some offers that they had for renewing my 2 year contract-they said that there was nothing available. Might have to look to Directv or something else. Is anybody else out there that is renewing their contact that is getting any offers...ie..a free 922 dvr..discount packaging..etc?

2. Nov 4, 2011 #2 of 41
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV doesn't offer a bad/no credit plan. You either pass their credit qualifications or you look elsewhere. I suspect that their qualifications are pretty similar to DISH Network's.

If your credit hasn't improved substantially, you're probably best off where you're at. If it has, by all means ask DIRECTV what they're willing to offer.

3. Nov 5, 2011 #3 of 41
    Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011

4. Nov 5, 2011 #4 of 41
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm very skeptical to that $900 amount ... it's more likely a propaganda.
    Will be glad to see how it calculating before accept it.

5. Nov 5, 2011 #5 of 41
    Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011

6. Nov 5, 2011 #6 of 41
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I couldn't say one way or the other about the $900 figure... but in addition to any actual costs of acquisition... you have to also consider the risk.

Dish does risk their equipment on any new customer... Say you sign up, get a couple of receivers... then bail on your bill and don't send the receivers back. OR you trash them before sending them back... also what if you declare bankruptcy and Dish is owed money?

The point is... Dish is taking a risk on every new customer... it's part of doing business... so they should be factoring that risk into who they accept as customers.

7. Nov 5, 2011 #7 of 41
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    There's a SAC number you should be able to verify as they have to report it on their financial statements.

With DIRECTV you can pay a fee if you don't pass their credit check to become a customer.

8. Nov 5, 2011 #8 of 41
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    As a credit challenged customer you are lucky DISH took a gamble on you and now you want gifts just because you made it through 24mo. When I sold Directv if you didn't pass credit check they offered a $300 deposit and they would credit $5/mo.back to you. You became a 5 year customer if you wanted to get your deposit back and the only free receivers were basic SD models.

Last I remember seeing is the 922 was a $200 upgrade for GOOD customers and you want one free?

9. Nov 5, 2011 #9 of 41
    sliderbob

sliderbob Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    When I signed up, it was $99 for the install and $50 for a 522 DVR. I later PURCHASED a 722 DVR on a local want-ads for $200.

10. scorpion43

scorpion43 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 16, 2011
    yea a $300 dollar fee:nono2:

11. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Wow, way to be a weiner to this guy.

DISH gave him service and set him up. At what point does his credit score have less influence on his account status than his actual payment history with them does?

The local cable company will hook anyone up. They deliver the same DVR to the poor bastard with bad credit that they do the rich folk up on the hill.

If they don't want to treat a customer like this guy as if he matters to them, why not tell him to pound sand and call the cable company? I know that doesn't help their subscriber churn, but neither does treating this guy like the water in the bottom of the trash can.

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I am not sure if DirecTv will set you up an account if you purchase your DVR (not lease) anymore. Might be worth calling Solid Signal and asking them if they can set up an account if you purchase a HR21PRO from them, and install the dish yourself (not that difficult).

13. scorpion43

scorpion43 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 16, 2011
    if the guy paid his dish bills on time they should offer him something to keep him as a customer.
    or risk sending him to directv .:confused:

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm sorry, but I'm classify such arguments as pure propaganda and siding with the greed comp.

I don't see any numbers and reason for them, any calculation what would proof the exorbitant $900 value.

Just one real argument as 'contra' of the $900 mark: signing for a smallest package (not a 'core') will increase you total for $5 with a reason - "to support your account". Perhaps "mirror" fee is constituted same $5 what still not procured for me, as real impact for the company would be a 15 seconds of CSR time to type its R00 number and 4 bytes space in corp DB.
    I would accept the $5 as the REAL cost for the corp to open an account.

15. dynomonkey

dynomonkey Mentor

Feb 20, 2009
    So if it cost Dish 900 dollars to acquire a customer, why does dish poop on its current subs and not offer them the same promotional offers. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. I think its greed. Someone in the ivory tower decides it and it becomes so. Example, 5.00 fee for this, 5.00 fee for that.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    To balance this 'we like to add a fee as we wish' I should say - we are the who agree to pay those 'fee', we are in agreement to keep those.
    Say no and we will see where are those will go.

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Unless I missed something... Dish isn't canceling this guy's account. He is just asking if he can get a better deal from them, and they don't want to give him a better deal. He didn't say Dish is kicking him to the curb. They just aren't extending normal offers because apparently in their eyes he is still too risky a customer.

Why do they owe him anything? I don't get this position. Everyone feels like they are "owed" something for staying a Dish customer. Why?

I've said before... IF you work a job for 2 years, do you owe your employer for keeping you on those 2 years? Do you want a raise or are you willing to give money back to "thank" your employer?

You agree to pay Dish, Dish agrees to certain levels of service. That's it! At the end of the contract, if both sides lived up to their sides... then that's it... In the case of prepay, Dish might let you convert to a month-to-month customer OR they might want you to remain a prepay customer. But they don't owe you free stuff.

That seems to be your answer to anything that disagrees with your point of view, so I can't argue with you on that point. Either you understand the costs of doing business or you don't.

Why should they owe anyone free stuff? IF they give all their existing customers free stuff too, then the cost of keeping a customer will be the same as new customers.

The reason Dish gives stuff to attract a new customer, is in hopes the customer will stay beyond the initial term and Dish can start to profit from that customer quickly thereafter. IF they constantly bribe customers to stay, then they never dig out of that hole.

Either you like Dish or you don't. If you do, then stay and pay them... if you don't, then go. Nobody owes anybody anything.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I know, and you know that - but posting here the number "$900" and the attempts to defend it sounds as ... you knew it.

19. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Uh, I was speaking specifically to boba. That's why I quoted him in my reply. I did not say that DISH was doing anything to him.

20. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011