1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2000' TV Tower Collapse; WEAU, Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by SayWhat?, Mar 24, 2011.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-wi-towercollapses,0,530229.story

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/as...ent-technology-has-changed-broadcasting_b8008

http://www.televisionbroadcast.com/article/116196

2. Scott in FL

Scott in FL Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Wow. Incredible story. Thanks for sharing.

I guess this comes under the heading of force majeure. Act of God. Perhaps He doesn't like reality tv shows, either. :)

3. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    Competing station WQOW is now carrying WEAU's programming on 18.3, displacing ThisTV. Cable & satellite operators are now carrying that feed. It's also being rebroadcast on a translator at 50.1 in La Crosse that normally carries the NBC affiliate from Rochester, MN.

4. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
  5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Gravity :)

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Apparently there was heavy snow and ice with high winds at the time.

7. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    I live in the Eau Claire area, although the weather was bad at the time it went down it has been much worse in the past, ice had really just started accumulating the hour before so not sure why it toppled. Luckily there are no houses around it. In the meantime WEAU is back to SD via WQOW (who happens to lease tower space from WEAU's smaller tower in the city) except they setup a direct feed to Charter Cable for HD. I am hoping they do the same for D*.

8. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    I just called WEAU TV and they said they have NO CLUE when they will get HD back up and running for D*. :(

9. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    This is my local NBC affiliate. Is there any precident for giving us a national HD feed if it will be a while until their HD signal is restored?

10. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Well, that didn't take long.

Within a few hours of my above post, in time for prime time programing last night, WEAU restored their HD feed to DirecTV. That's pretty good. They came up with a signal for us and local cable within 72 hours of the tower falling.

I like the engineer at WEAU. They were the first station around here to go HD back in the early 2000s, and their chief engineer was very accessible and helpful in getting people set up. Looks like he came through again.